Friend Trying To Raise Funds For Pal Who Lost Home, 100 Animals In Hill Fire

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — The Hill Fire damaged a couple of homes and scorched more than 1150 acres. Everything considered, it could have been a lot worse for many more people.

But try telling that to Bruce Schumacher. For him, it’s unlikely the Hill fire could have been worse.

By now, you’ve probably heard the tally…but it doesn’t quite sink in until you replay the numbers over. In this fire, he lost more than 100 of his beloved animals. Mostly goats and sheep but all kinds of animals…including birds and rabbits. He’s trying to see some positive…a llama and bull he treasured are both alive. The llama, it appears, stood guard over about 35 sheep. The llama got burned but is expected to survive.

But the 66-year-old also lost his uninsured house, what was going to be his retirement home. He lost personal belongings, antiques, other vehicles, his tractor. In his retirement, a livestock business was what he was counting on to live on.

To help with his devastating losses, both personal and emotional, a good friend is stepping up to the plate to help Schumacher get through this ordeal.

Cheryl Wishaw is setting up a fund for him … she says she will likely have all the bank information after Labor Day, but for now is eager to talk to others who might be able to help her friend. Her phone number is (909) 855-0625.

Comments

1. spider says:

i bet he didnt even open the gates of corral when he fled to safety

1. Cynthia Ann Swan says:

Wow, how wrong you are. In fact, he was at a dentist appointment when the fire began, and when he returned, the fire had not reached his ranch yet and he wanted to save all the animals, but the officials refused to let him go in. Shame on you!

2. allison cadillac ranch saloon says:

he lived very remotely and couldnt get insurance. he was a certified san bernadino animal rescue and he wasnt home at the time. he fought with authorities fiercely to let him get to his home and he was able to open many pens. many animals, even the dogs, stayed to “protect” the property, rather than escape the brutal fire. my freinds and i went there today, after 8 hours of red tape to allow us access, and transferred the remaining livestock to a safe haven. no one loves animals more than this devastated man that i just met today. the death and devastation we saw today was beyond, far beyond, what i was expecting and im mortified that people would post such horrible statements when they have no clue of what happened here. i will start a fundraiser immediatley in the high desert as well to help pay for feed and vet bills immediatley.

1. Lauren says:

Don’t you absolutely hate commenters who jump to conclusions about people they’ve never met?!

2. Cynthia Ann Swan says:

Thank you so much for helping and defending Bruce. My husband and I drove up from LA spent most of yesterday helping with his animals at the temporary home being provided by his friend. Devastating! We also have a llama, and needed to help. We have NEVER met Bruce…he was back burying his lost animals. Please stay in touch. I am continuing to try and generate assistance for them. I can’t believe the dark places that some people automatically go. Wow!

3. Xen says:

I’m sorry this tragedy killed all those innocent animals. Stories like this are hard to take.

4. rich says:

prosecute the man at once anyone with a brain knows that area burns every year why live out there and why house all those animals out there pure stupidity on the mans part and if he lived so REMOTE that he could not get insurance then move someplace where he could get insurance i feel for the animals who had no choices i do not feel for the moron taking care of them

1. Mo says:

personally, I think you are the moron, living in your house on a postage stamp lot in the city, commenting on things you know nothing about. I bet there are laws in your neighborhood restricting pets to no more than three, so try starting an agricultural business. Lack of a water main means no insurance, nothing he could do anything about. All ranches are in “remote” areas because jokers like you complain about noise and smell in more populated areas. You, sir, are the epitompy of stupidity. I’ll bet you are on of those idiots that flick their cigarettes out the window and cause fires just like this one.

1. allison cadillac ranch saloon says:

WELL SAID MO. WELL SAID. THIS IS WHY WE LIVE OUT HERE. ALSO, IF A HOME IN THE CITY BURNS TO THE GROUND WITH AN INNOCENT CHILD IN IT, IS IT THE PARENTS FAULT? DO YOU THINK DADDY RAN FOR SAFETY AND LET HIS CHILD BURN TO DEATH? SOME PEOPLE HAVE NO COMMON SENSE, JUST AN OPINION THAT MAKES NO SENSE. FIREMEN OPENED AS MANY PENS AS THEY COULD TOO. JUST FYI.

2. Cynthia Ann Swan says:

THANK YOU! I would like to say, though, that not all of us who live “in the city” are anything like him. We live near LA, on a 1/4 acre, and have a llama, and we drove out there yesterday and spent the day helping with Bruce’s animals, especially the llama. I understand how you could make a conclusion based on this immoral man’s comments. Just know we are not all the same. Thanks for standing up to him!

2. Cynthia Ann Swan says:

You make me ashamed to be a co-human with you. What is wrong with so many of you. I would not want to live in your dark place.

1. Cynthia Ann Swan says:

This was meant for “Rich”

2. cindy says:

cynthia ann swan since you were not there and one of my friends who is a fire fighter was and took video of some of the fire and was at the area where this mans prop was, and told me what he saw and that this man your defending never tried or asked to go to his place because had he asked he would have been allowed to since the fire was not to his place when he returned to the area

3. Chris says:

Whos the Moron? Really I feel the same as Cynthia I would never want to live in your dark world!! Do you know him? Nope dont think so, cause if you did there is no way in hell that you would even think to say something so horrible!

5. "REPUBLICAN EMPIRE FALLS" says:

no insurance!!!! this white guy was living like a illegal alien!!!!!

6. allison cadillac ranch saloon says:

THERE ARE TONS OF PEOPLE THAT ARE UNDERINSURED AND SELF INSURED. AND THIS AREA HASNT BURNED EVERY YEAR. BRUCE HAS LIVED HERE 21 YRS AND NEVER BEEN EVACUATED.

1. Cynthia Ann Swan says:

Thank you, again, for defending him against this brutal verbal abuse. May they reap what they sow.

7. Cynthia Ann Swan says:

But for the grace of God go you….think before you become judgmental. I pray you find your feeling.

8. ALLISON MOYE, CADILLAC RANCH says:

CYNTHIA, ARE U ON FACEBOOK? ADD ME, ALLISON MOYE, HESPERIA. THESE PEOPLE ARE HEARTLESS. I MOVED ALL THE SURVIVORS SAT. I’M TAKING A FEED LOAD OUT ON FRIDAY. BRUCE IS A CARING, PASSIONATE, ANIMAL LOVER. I WILL CONTINUE TO HELP ANY WAY I CAN..

1. Cynthia says:

Yes, Allison. I’m on FB. I have been posting status updates on this since Sunday. My husband and I drove out from LA to help with the animals yesterday. We did not get to meet Bruce because he was burying his lost animals. We did build pens and help with meds with the others. We have a llama, so I was able to show them how to take care of his eyes. We gave them one of our llama fly masks, and I’ve contacted our vet for help. I can’t believe these others…they are so viscous! No matter, truth is truth. I will search for you and ask for a friend request if that is okay.

9. Chris says:

What comes around goes around for the idiots that are heartless with no thought in the world of what Bruce is going through! My mom was good friends with Bruce many years ago and I remember going for a visit and walking around and seeing all the animals! He was and is wonderful with them. They lived better than he did, his dedication and love for all his animals was spectacular! If there were more people that had a heart like his, this world would be a better place! So maybe those of you that are talking so inconsiderately should learn a lesson or two from a person that has a HUGE heart! Unbelievable…next time think before you judge! So sorry Bruce for your loss our prayers go out to you and all your animals!

1. will says:

so Chris you think its a good thing to keep all those animals in captivity i dont pretend to know all the diffrent animals he had there but i heard goats, a bull and something about a llama would they not be better off in the wild where they belong? as opposed to in pens or how ever he housed them yes its tragic that they died but i really dont see a purpose in keeping animals that are ment to run wild in a state of captivity

10. Chris says:

If you knew his place, at least these animals had care every single day of there lives and oh course the wild for some, but it is not like he went out and took them from the wild he RESCUED them, saved them took wonderful care of them! If you could have only saw what I had seen with each and every animal he had out there the way they all were with him and how much they loved him you would understand! Enough said I saw and you did not! Should he have not rescued them and let them die even sooner??? NO HE HAS A HEART!!!

1. Chris says:

Oh as a matter of fact one of those donkey’s “Twinkie” were possible the one my mom had to give up when she moved away and he was sooo kind to take her in back then! Just a lil FYI… she loved Cherry soda. Not sure if she was still around or if she passed on in the earlier years but a blessing to all the animals who lost their lives and to the ones that are injured! and oh course I hope Bruce gets all the help he needs!

2. will says:

i’m sorry i don’t see it like that to me keeping them in captivity beyound the point that it might take to mend a wound or feed them long enough to make them well is cruel animals are ment to run wild not to be kept in a cage. i have no problem RESCUING them i do have a problem with keeping them as pets. he may have treated them nice they may well have liked him i do not dispute that i just disagree with trying to keep them longer then is needed

11. ALLISON MOYE, CADILLAC RANCH says:

WOW. CITY DWELLERS THINKING LLAMA,GOATS & BULLS ARE WILD ANIMALS? THESE R UNWANTED RESCUE ANIMALS. PEOPLE SHOULD NOT COMMENT THAT R CLUELESS. WE LIVE RURAL SO WE CAN RAISE HORSES,CHICKS & HAVE FRESH AIR.

1. will says:

allison your right i live in the city and my bleife is ANY AND ALL ANIMALS are ment to be wild. and not ment to be kept in captivity. my grand parents had a ranch in new mexico and had horses chickens pigs and some cows with the exception of the horses they kept all the animals for food. i do not have an issue with eating them i do have an issue with keeping them in a cage or pin till you decide to eat them

12. ALLISON MOYE, CADILLAC RANCH says:

WILL. THIS RANCH IS PROBABLY 2010 ACRES. BULL HAD AN ACRE TO HIMSELF. LLAMA ROAMED THE ENTIRE RANCH LIKE A DOG. GOATS N SHEEP SOLD FOR 4H PROJECTS. I ASSUME YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH 4H?. ALL THE ANIMALS HAD PLENTY OF SPACE. AND THE UNWANTED, ABUSED DOGS HE RESCUED HAD HUGE RUNS. I’M JUMPING OFF THIS SITE. FIND ME ON FACEBOOK IF ANYONE HAS POSITIVE THOUGHTS!

13. ashley says:

Isn’t it unreal how hateful people are…. God forbid they have any little bit of compassion…. I couldn’t imagine being in his shoes… Just brings tears to my eyes… Bruce works at my moms work.. We will be heading over saturday to help….

14. ALLISON MOYE, CADILLAC RANCH says:

HATEFUL IS PUTTING IT MILDLY. THE BRAVE LLAMA DIED YESTERDAY & WE ARE ALL DEVASTATED…