Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong Booted Off Southwest Airlines Plane

OAKLAND (CBS) — Green Day front man Billie Joe Armstrong says his sagging pants cost him a seat on a Southwest Airlines flight.

The singer-guitarist for the San Francisco Bay area-based band sent a message to his Twitter followers on Thursday expressing his indignation at being tossed from an Oakland-to-Burbank flight for wearing his trousers too low.

A news producer who was on the same flight told reporters that a flight attendant approached Armstrong just before take-off and asked him to hike his pants higher.

The producer, Cindy Qiu, says when Armstrong insisted he was just trying to get to his seat, he and a traveling companion were taken off the plane.

Southwest spokesman Brad Hawkins says in a statement that Armstrong was allowed to board the next flight.

Comments

1. Herdley says:

Billy Joe
    You ain’t a young dog no more
    Pull them pants up
    Damn almost 40 and bangin

1. Stryker 21 says:

The hair alone is enough to toss him off the plane. Grow up pole smoker.

2. AJ Morgan says:

So pull up your pants moron, no one wants to see yours, or anyone elses drawers or worse!

3. Smokey says:

Not enough chlorine to clean up his gene pool

1. GiGi says:

Wow, you REALLY had to take it there?

4. dmills says:

The real question is why is he flying cheap southwest airlines?

1. Michael J. McDermott says:

Because he sucks and so does his band.

5. Igor Doublebubblevich. says:

DISGUISTINg< white older man trying to be black.

1. GiGi says:

Really? So you haven’t noticed that youngsters from pretty much ALL racial groups are wearing their pants that way? It’s a CULTURAL thing, not a racial one. Other commenters here have it right when they question him for being a man of a certain AGE and still sagging his pants.

1. GiGi says:

And by CULTURAL, I meant young people in American pop culture.

6. luvgreenday says:

While a not a fan of those ridiculous sagging pants that guys think look so great (aren;t they otu of style yet, geez how long has it been in – like 10-15 years?) – Still, Billie Joe, I’d let you slide🙂

7. Arod says:

LOL…I would have kicked him off for the hair and eye makeup…I’ve always wondered if the punks who let their pants fall down really think their butts are that cute that we all want to see it. Good for the airline

8. Maximus says:

Excellent. No talent a-hole. Grow up.

1. ??? says:

uh Maximus, r u serious? No talent…pleeze. With millions of cds sold, concerts continually sold out, a broadway show, they’ve continued to sell music in the dying music industry for decades. I THINK Billy Joe & the band are doing OK. HA…I love them.

1. Michael J. McDermott says:

Only because it’s idiots that buy his cds and go to his concerts. A lot of idiots out there. Millions and millions.

9. davy says:

you are not passengers anymore.But portential terrorrist..

10. Hogboy says:

Good!! No one wants to see your chonies or ass no matter what age!! Dress like a grown up FOOL!!

11. Timothy McGarry says:

Jeez, these guys are so over. I mean, he’s 40 years old, pull yer pants up, foo! Think he had the eye make-up on for the flight?

12. You're Welcome says:

What’s more embarrassing than that?
    > So many d list celebs, once upon a rock star,
    flying Southwest or Jet Blue<

13. Looks like Mr. Armstrong was, ahem, an American Idiot

14. iain says:

I wonder how many boys wearing pants sagging around their butts realize that the ‘style’ originated in prisons… where the pants were pulled down literally to advertise that ‘my a$s is available to any guy who wants it, for fee to be negotiated’. Seriously.

1. GiGi says:

I thought it was because they were issued random pants, and often that meant the pants were too big and sagged off their behinds. Your explanation makes it so much funnier, though. Now, I’ll probably laugh each time I see someone wearing their pants that way instead of just feeling disgust and embarassment.

2. Captain Quirk says:

Not true — that’s an urban legend.

Go to Snopes dot kom and seach for “sagging pants”.

1. Captain Quirk says:

* search, not “seach”

15. Cyrus says:

What’s up with rich people slumming on the discount airlines? There was that fat director last year who was kicked off Southwest for trying to squeeze into one seat. Now a rock star? Even I fly first class!

16. ChuckE says:

So, what’s up wtih flight attendants being so worried about paying customers’ pants being too low? He showed his boxer shorts, who gives a flying F? Its nice how they have so much buisiness that they can kick off customers who annoy them in the slightest way. Basically we have a bunch of glorified waiters and waitresses on a power trip. Of course the jealous losers are going to comment about how that “foo” should not be wearing his pants low anyway. Interesting how that “talentless foo” is a millionaire and you’re not.

17. Greg P says:

Realy???? We are ok with people being kicked off a flight because a flight attendant didn’t like his fashion? Really??? What happened to the “land of the free”?

18. Maritza De La Capistrano says:

I got kicked off of a flight for pooping my pants once. It was totally uncalled for. I hadn’t taken a dump the whole day and we were about to take off so I couldn’t get up to use the bathroom. I couldn’t help but go in my pants. The person next to me started to yell at me and the flight attendant came to our seats. She asked me to leave. I should sue.

1. Michael J. McDermott says:

You shouldn’t poop your pants. That’s simply not acceptable.

19. Amurican Idle says:

pants on the ground, pants on the ground, lookin like a fool witchyor pants on the ground.

1. Michael J. McDermott says:

YEAH, YEAH ! ! !

20. ginny says:

How about those people who get on a 5 hour flight smelling like either they haven’t had a bath in years or have taken a bath in aftershave or calogne? Or those that bring food on the flight that the minute they open it the horrid smell fills the area of the plane they are sitting in? I have more of a problem with those people. There is such a thing as common consideration for those around you when in a confined space for long periods of time.

1. Micheal J. McDermott says:

Mmm, hot artificial cheeeeeeze product… Or the unmistakable aroma of McDonalds breakfast sausage farts… Mmmm.
      Common consideration for those around you? I have that and this is my problem, you see…

2. Micheal J. McDermott says:

Care for some hot cheeeeze product over a nice fake burger patty? Or how about the inimitable smell of McDonalds Breakfast sausage farts? Mmmmmm…
      Common consideration for those around you. That is what I have and this is my problem, you see…

21. Abel Danger says:

Knuckle heads the lot of you. His music is ok and last time i checked, we are still in America. In less his shlong was out, get over yourself. And by the way, Southwest is not for poor people only. Its a great airline for quick jaunts. I fart in all of your general directions. D bags.

22. Laura says:

Really? An airline attendent gets to decide who is allowed to continue on a flight because of pant placement? I’m certain Billie Joe made it through security just fine and was just trying to get into his seat discreetly. So what’s next? Am I in danger of being booted off a plane if my bra strap is showing? Or, gasp…. what about my child’s diaper? C’mon, think safety Southwest flight attendents (and fetch the Bloody Mary mix). No mile high fashion police critics needed thank you very much.