Officials Probe LA County Sheriff’s Department Over Alleged Minority Housing Discrimination

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Department of Justice is investigating the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department over allegations that deputies discriminated against residents of subsidized housing.

Sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore said Thursday that justice officials are launching a “pattern or practice” probe into the nation’s largest sheriff’s department.

Whitmore says Sheriff Lee Baca welcomes the investigation, which stems from old allegations that deputies had been engaged in discriminatory practices against minorities in government subsidized housing in Lancaster and Palmdale. two cities in the north county.

Whitmore says the sheriff’s department has already worked with an oversight agency and any problems have already been resolved.

He says Baca met with justice officials Thursday and will be attending a news conference Friday to announce the probe.

Comments

1. James says:

Really!!!!!!!! the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputies discriminate against people in goverment housing, in the AV. Why dont I have a hard time believing that.

1. Stryker 21 says:

I don’t understand. They have trees in the cells for the mudflaps and tortillas in the $pic$ cells.

2. c says:

they should check out santa clarita next!

3. Sam says:

Section 8 hood rats cause CRIME

4. igor doublebubblevich says:

Go to Adelanto ca. Oasis apt’s, new multi million dollar apt. complex, within 6 months a ghetto, used diapers, pit bullls, sheriff constantly responding, guess who done it?

5. Lisa says:

What next? May I complain and have free housing too? Probably not.

1. charles says:

listen people the things going on with this section 8 housing and the local sheriff’s department in the antelope valley is true i have had first hand dealing with them on this and due to there over baring behavior and lack of respect this is were they have landed yes some people were breaking the law and those should pay for there crimes.but for the one’s that do comply with all laws are arrested and charged with false charge’s and that is what this is truly about. good luck wrongly convicted. chuckrizzle

1. Shrawnda (Wife of Charles) says:

You are so right Honey….Justice will prevail.

6. Lisa says:

They need a investigation in Moreno Val
    ley. Set ups.

7. wobbles says:

We are the only country in the world that pays to feed and house our criminals both in and out of prison. And we are so lost as a society that instead of protesting subsidizing criminals, we blame the police for daring to arrest the criminals we are financing. Amazing. We’re doomed.

8. white liberal says:

Every single time a negro whines about discrimination an investigation is launched. Where is the investigation of ‘flash mobs’ in several cities where young negroes are attacking & beating innocent helpless caucasians.

1. Shrawnda (Wife of Charles) says:

Last I recall, there is an investigation with the Fullerton officers and I believe the victim was white….IDIOT!!!!

9. Bob V says:

Ok,,,,if 90% of the folks on welfare are latinos and blacks, why is anyone surprised when 90% of folks caught by police pulling welfare scams are latinos and blacks? Hellllloooooooooooo!!!!! McFly!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Shrawnda (Wife of Charles) says:

Sounds like this comment is from someone from the Tea Party Act……

10. getoverit says:

Please! It’s amazing how people that work the system have so many complaints about discrimination. Why don’t you get an education, get a job and OMG…move out of the housing projects!! Welfare is not a way of life. Education through high school is free! You have no excuse to be living that life style. It’s your choice! You are responsible for the choices you make! If you don’t like what you have or your life….change it!!!

1. Shrawnda (Wife of Charles) says:

Wow! What a response. We do have jobs….and you should be ashamed to accuse all who receives assistance of “working the system”. I will have you know that everyone on who receives housing assistance does not reside in the “projects”. Here is a suggestion: Educate yourself on how certain programs work before you comment on what you know nothing about. You are correct about one thing, we are responsible for our choices, but we are not responsible for the actions of others. Would hate to see your comment on the Fullerton officers…..By the way, there is a process to change, if things could change over night, Bush wouldn’t have lasted 1 day in office. This comment sounds like something he would have made…..God have mercy on all of your souls (if you believe there is a God).

11. "REPUBLICAN EMPIRE FALLS" says:

THEY ONLY FU#CK WITH LATINOS AND BLACKS BECAUSE THE USA IS RAN BY WHITE MAGGOT SHlT-BAG FEDERAL REPUBLICAN/ILLUMINATIS

12. Shrawnda (Wife of Charles) says:

It is very disheartening that we had to experience such an act from the LA County Sheriff’s department. There once was a facebook page created by an officer here in Lancaster called “I hate Sectioni 8 houses”, now it is gone. I wonder why? They’d accused my husband and I of Grand theft, Welfare fraud (although we weren’t receiving welfare assistance), and perjury. They came to my place of employment and arrested me (merely because they were upset that we would not continue to open our doors in the wee hours of the night). We have lived in AV for 10 years plus and only moved to AV for our children to have a better opportunity at a good education/life. Instead, the situation caused them to rebel and not respect authority and now our 15 and 16 year old (who were 12 and 13 at the time of incident) both have felonies. This plan-of-action of Rex Perris’ is only set to run the minorities out of his “christian” community. I don’t ever see God approving the division of his people, such as this. It is a disgrace and the only reason I still come here is because of my job. My children as well as my husband can’t stand the sight of this place and I don’t blame them. I have more details to our story and hope I can tell it publicly.

13. Shrawnda (Wife of Charles) says:

It is very disheartening that we had to experience such an act from the LA County Sheriff’s department. There once was a facebook page created by an officer here in Lancaster called “I hate Section 8 houses”, now it is gone. I wonder why? They’d accused my husband and I of Grand theft, Welfare fraud (although we weren’t receiving welfare assistance), and perjury. They came to my place of employment and arrested me (merely because they were upset that we would not continue to open our doors in the wee hours of the night). We have lived in AV for 10 years plus and only moved to AV for our children to have a better opportunity at a good education/life. Instead, the situation caused them to rebel and not respect authority and now our 15 and 16 year old (who were 12 and 13 at the time of incident) both have felonies. This plan-of-action of Rex Perris’ is only set to run the minorities out of his “christian” community. I don’t ever see God approving the division of his people, such as this. It is a disgrace and the only reason I still come here is because of my job. My children as well as my husband can’t stand the sight of this place and I don’t blame them. I have more details to our story and hope I can tell it publicly.

14. Malone says:

Way to get both sides. Wait a minute it was channel 5 that mentioned comments from any city leaders in the Antelope Valley!

15. Sylvia says:

Los Angeles County Sheriff department have been discriminating against African Americans and the Hispanics Communities for years. It is about time they are exposed for their corruption. All Los Angeles County Programs should be investigated for their treatment towards the very low, low to medium income families, particularly African Americans and Hispanics. The two cities Palmdale and Lancaster are aware of this white supremacist ideology. Both Palmdale and Lancaster city officials and employees allowed the African American and Hispanics Community to be attacked by the white supremacist ideology everyday. Until you are African American or Hispanic living in Palmdale or Lancaster, please don’t say we are whining or complaining. It is a lot of tension brewing in the cities. Hopefully, we all can be remedied by the violators of local ordinance, State and Federal Laws.

16. Rod D says:

If everything else fails, yell discrimination. It is common knowledge, that Housing Authority rules are frequently violated. Multi family and report of income are some. Housing received complaints, responds to investigate, and at times, requests assistance from LASO. There to keep the piece only. However, if criminal violations are noted, arrests could and will be made. Sometimes arrests require use of force, when people resist arrest, or interfere!
    Know the law, before challenging or accusing officers of false arrest. Everything you need to know is in the Ca.Penal Code. The DA/CA files cases, and then set for trial. Negative responses are based on rumors, and not invalid.