Boy, 7, Hit And Killed By Truck In Redondo Beach

REDONDO BEACH (CBS) — A 7-year-old boy riding a bicycle was struck and killed by a truck Friday in the loading dock area of an Albertsons supermarket in Redondo Beach.

The accident occurred about 10:20 a.m. at 2115 Artesia Blvd., said Sgt. Shawn Freeman of the Redondo Beach Police Department.

“It appears the 7-year-old boy was riding his bicycle in the loading dock area, “the sergeant said. “A delivery truck was maneuvering within the loading dock area and an accident occurred.”

The boy was found under the delivery truck, Freeman said.

The child died at a hospital. His name was withheld pending notification of relatives.

Comments

1. =( says:

This is so heatbreaking
    but was the 7 year old alone? In my opinion, that’s a little too young to let your children out by themselves.

1. Kathy says:

I agree!! Where was his parents? Who was watching him?? That street is full of small children, it’s bad enough that it’s so busy being a one way street. I’m sure this wasn’t the first time he or other kids rode their bikes or skate boards in that area, so why hasn’t Albertson’s done anything about it prior to this happening?

I’m sure they will now, but it’s a little too late!!

And for the sick people that get off on a childs death that they find joy in posting sick comments. I can’t wait for you to go back to prison, which you will because i’m sure you are either on drugs or just a psycho, you would have to be normal people don’t do things like that. I hope you mess with the wrong person and get your head bashed!

1. Kathy's conscience says:

Get over yourself, babe.
        Wishing bad on others is bad karma.

2. shan says:

He was in an area for pedestrians Kathy. He did nothing wrong. He was being watched by a sitter. Do you believe EVERYTHING you read word-for-word? I WAS THERE….SO WAS HIS MOTHER. The truck did not stop. And now a wonderful little boy is gone and a bunch of folks who know nothing are commenting. Why don’t you do something useful and contribute ANYTHING useful in his name as the rest of us are?

2. swhitS says:

No one should lose a child but why would people think a service area is safe for a 7yr old? If you are not going to supervise them then don’t have them.

1. S says:

BECAUSE IT IS CONSIDERED A PEDESTRIAN AREA. THERE IS A WALKWAY.

3. Thin the herd says:

Sorry- Comedy

1. huh? says:

How about you don’t apologize for misspelling “comedy” and apologize to your parents for bringing you into this world.

1. doi says:

Your comment makes no sense, son. Think before you type.

2. S says:

not funny a**hole

4. lala63 says:

@ Thin the herd: YOU are a damn heartless idiot. What do you mean “this will seem hilarious” ? What kind of a moron are you? I wish the herd WOULD get thinned and sub-humans like you would be the first to go. Looser.

A child DIED. This will never be “hilarious”. You are a tool with serious issues.

5. get outta here says:

You are a big time weirdo

6. moe says:

There are people who actually do not have a spirit/soul who couldn’t normally express their dark, seething hatred towards the world and humanity in public, so they find that freedom here (on the web), for example, Thin the herd. The rest of us are sad for the little boy and although I was initially shocked by Thin the herd’s comment, which inspired me to write this, will, after saying a prayer for the little kid and his family, forget about his freakishly weird comment.

7. Reverend Jim says:

Hey all you uptight dudes- how easy it to breathe the thin air way up there on your high horses?
    Ya’ll need to chillax- life is only temporary, as the 7 year old demonstrated for you today.

8. Chase says:

*thin the herd* just needs some attention! attention he/she did not receive as a child, so sad!

9. Dan Goodwin says:

To the group of you who think its funny to post on here making fun of this. This little boy is my Cousin, and this report does not tell everything that happened. So please “Thin The Herd” please inform me of who you are so i can take care of you myself you P.O.S.

1. Thin this says:

Sure thing, tough guy.
      My name is Adolph Oliver Bush.
      And why don’t you enlighten us with all the facts since this doesn’t tell the whole story. I’m sure your “cousin” would want it that way. Yutz.

1. Please says:

Go ahead and meet me today and ill let you know in person what happened

2. Dan is a dork says:

Hey “Dan” or “Please”- be careful what you wih for.
        Just tell me when and hwere. Make sure you say good bye to your family first.

3. shan says:

Now you know the facts you nosy, heartless, thin skinned boy who has nothing better to do than attempt (weakly) to bring more sorrow to people. Grow a sack.

4. shan says:

His cousin was 7 jack-ass, or can’t you read??

5. shan says:

Adolph, are you one those dorks who thinks he is hitler’s younger brother?

2. Pat Robertson says:

I bet you’re so upset because now you have to find someone else to take your pedophile urges out on- good luck with that.

3. shan says:

He rode his bike 50 yards to his mother’s job to give her a kiss and yes, his babysitter gave him permission. I’m ashamed of those who judge a situation like this. You should be ashamed of yourselves. God Bless you Daniel.

10. Jared Thompson says:

the Redondo Beach newspaper has more on the story http://www.easyreadernews.com/31078/redondo-beach-boy/

11. Steve Kritzer says:

For those of you throwing stones, here. Jeremy traveled less than one block from his home/yard to visit his mother at work — that should answer the question “where were the parents”

The loading dock area of this Albertisons can be a mess with multiple trucks waiting to back in and a pedestrian walkway traversing the path of the trucks. I’ve often wondered why Albertsons doesn’t send an employee out to supervise these subcontracted truckers.

Other friends of the family inform me that Jeremy was fearful of the big trucks and could have been forced into the delivery area to avoid being hit.

Jeremy was killed about 300 feet from his home, on the same block. I’m not sure if Jeremy had permission from the babysitter, but he simply rode his bike down the sidewalk to see his mommy at her new job and give her a kiss.

Jeremy Perez Memorial Fund
    C/O Well Fargo Acct. # 5180865940

1. shan says:

He had permission from his babysitter. And yes, he simply rode down the sidewalk to go give his mom a kiss.

12. Chris H says:

Please be respectful for Jeremy and his family. A life was lost. There is so much his family is going thur right now.

13. Nikki says:

just to think such a beutiful, precious life was lost its heartbreaking. Specially when all Jeremy wanted to do was to give mommy a kiss @ work. People are so quick to speculate what happened and to consider that fact that there is a family now who is grieving the lost of a young child. I will keep the family in prayer. As for “thin the herd” you need God in your life. You are in the fast trak to hell and should repent.

14. Beach in hawaii lyrics says:

Really good post! Thank you for creating this. I recognize you taking the amount of time to write this interesting strategies and information. Because of this, I have linked back to you. Also, I have stumbled on an online retailer that will support those things you have got wrote here: Beach & Snorkeling Gear