20-Something Man Loses Part Of Leg In Solo Traffic Crash

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — A 20-something man is hospitalized Sunday morning in serious but stable condition after losing part of one leg in a solo traffic accident in the Sunland area, a police sergeant said.

The victim was apparently driving at a high rate of speed southbound in the 9800 block of Sunland Boulevard at about 1 a.m. when he rolled his car and was ejected, said Los Angeles police Sgt. Russell Carr of the Valley Traffic Division.

The victim’s left leg was partially severed after he hit “an object,” on the roadway, Carr said, adding the driver appeared to be in his 20s.

A video reporter at the scene said the car apparently hit the guard rail before rolling over and ejecting the driver.

Anyone with information on this crash was asked to call the LAPD’s Valley Traffic Division at (818) 644-8000.

Comments

1. diosdado1001 says:

“A video reporter at the scene said the car apparently hit the guard ” hOW WAS THIS REPORTER WITH HIS CAMERA ROLLING. How did he know that an accident was about to happen? I guess he just want to be part of the news and said he was at the scene.

1. Mykl says:

right place right time like us…we were first on scene to help save his life.

2. Luna says:

I hope he makes it! We were first on the scene… Did all we good to help this kid out! He lost his leg completely! Mykl had to apply a tourniquet to try and stop the blood flow! Tonia comforted him till emergency services got there.. We gave our info to the police. We are praying for him! He is a 25 year old kid from Russia we think?? It was an insane evening we will all never forget!

3. Exzo says:

My friends are amazing heros! Their clear headed, fast thinking, and willingness to run toward danger helped to save this young man. May he be blessed and now do something great with his second chance at life. xoML

1. NATALIE says:

NO WORDS, THEY ARE AMAZING!!!! WE WLL NEVER FORGET THEIR NAMES AND WHAT THEY HAVE DONE FOR US!!!!!!!

4. VIOLET says:

HI EVERYONE… I AM FAMILY FRIEND OF THE GUY. HE IS IN THE HOSPITAL AND DOCTORS ARE KEEPING HIM ASLEEP FOR HIS OWN GOOD. WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED SINCE HE CANT TELL US AND WE DON’T KNOW ANYONE WHO WAS THERE…. PLEASE TELL US MORE IF YOU CAN ABOUT HOW IT HAPPENED OR IF YOU GOT THERE AFTER THE ACCIDENT WHAT YOU WITHNESSED…. I CAN’T THANK YOU ENOUGHT FOR BEING THERE AND HELPING HIM TO SURVIVE… IF IT WASNT FOR YOU HE WOULDN’T BE WITH US NOW… PLEASE TEL,L US MORE IF YOU CAN….. THANK YOU…

1. Luna says:

Hello Violet, We were first to arrive on the scene! My partner left his card with your family members yesterday at the hospital! Please call us so we can fill you in! Or send me your e-mail so I can give you my #. Blessings Luna

2. Luna says:

Hello again Violet, Please get in touch with the Hospital & we will leave our info with them so you can call us. Thanks! Luna

5. Violet says:

Thank you Luna, we will do so. God bless all of those who helped him…

6. Natalie says:

HI,
    MY NAME IS NATALIE. I AM ONE OF THE GUY’S COUSINS.
    I JUST WANT TO SAY SPECIAL THAKS TO MYKL FOR SAVING OUR LOVED COUSIN AND GIVING HIM THE SECOND CHANCE TO LIVE. THE WORDS ARE NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO EXPRESS HOW THANKFUL WE ARE TO YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE AND THANKFUL TO THE LORD THAT YOU WERE THERE AT THAT VERY MOMENT.
    YES, HE HAS REALLY BAD INJURIES, LOST PART OF HIS LEFT LEG, BUT HE IS BREATHING, HE IS NEXT TO US, AND, HOPEFULLY VERY SOON, WILL BE ABLE TO TALK TO YOU HIMSELF.
    GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!!!

7. Gohar says:

i got chills reading the above comments, I’m also a family friend & I’m still in clear shock about this horrible news, we pray for a quick recovery for Grisha & as for the guardian angels who helped him, we cant thank you enough…bless all of you. true he lost his leg, but he is still with us and breathing…the lord is defiantly with him.

8. Marie Hardy says:

My husband and I, are so very, proud of our son Michael for having the courage to put a tourniquet on this young man’s leg which save is life.
    Michael and his wonderful partner Luna and others friends were there helping him.
    One of them was removing dirt from his mouth and others were trying to console him and let him know that everything will be alright .
    I believe that Michael and his friends were angels sent by God to save this young man’s life’
    Michael’s Mom, Marie

9. Hemo Hermine says:

thank you for saving my friends life, may God bless each and every one of you!

10. fed up with the speeding on Sunland Blvd says:

CBS, you need to come out here with a radar gun and clock the speed of most of these drivers on Sunland BLvd in Shadow Hills! It’s nuts! The posted speed limit is 45 mph, but people do excess of 60MPH at times! At least 7 accidents have occurred since Janurary in this general area! One resulted in death due to internal bleeding from hitting a powerline! The Foothill traffic division is full aware of the speeding problem out here and they still don’t patrol it! I have seen only ONE motorcycle cop since February , before that it’s been quite some time! How many more serious accidents is it gonna take before we see the police slowing people down? Also glad to hear the young man survived. It kept my husband up all night after seeing the young mans leg being put on ice otherside of the road and we didn’t hear the ambulance leave for a long time!

11. dawn shiells says:

i have to agree with the above comment. i live in shadow hills and i heard the car crash that nite. it was horrible to say the least. ive heard and seen so many accidents on sunland blvd here in shadow hills the worst being the little girl that survived going through the windshiled of a fully loaded car with no seatbelt that soon after died in the rescue helecopter that crashed in griffith park killing her and the pilot. as a daughter of a police officer and a friend of alot of lapd i have to stick up a little for lapd traffic cops and patrol. there isnt enough cops to be in every place and with the cuts that have been made in the dept its gonna be awhile before you see a steady stream of motorcops on sunland blvd. its not thier fault we have recklass drivers. no matter if you put a cop on sunland blvd all day long they cant be there 24/7 and there will be some stupid person who wants to get somewhere in a hurry not to make it there. the boy who lost his leg is lucky thats all he lost. i hope it was worth his speeding just to never get to where he was going.

12. Quentin says:

My home is on the 9800 block of Sunland Blvd. This accident woke me as did the accident several weeks earlier, only two hundred feet down the road. A third accident just occurred and woke me once. This accident too was a single car accident and the driver fled. This accident happened in the exact same spot where this young man lost part of his leg. I have only lived here since March andzthis is the fifth accident on Sunland within half a mile of my home. This is a very dangerous stretch of road, people speed up and down it day and night? When will something be done? How many accidents will it take before action is taken? Maybe lower the speed limit for starters.

1. Leanne says:

We live around the corner on Wornom. My husband was in an accident the next evening in the same spot. This was due to trash cans being put in the street instead of on the curb. We have lived here for over 10 years and this summer has been a bad one for accidents.