LAX TSA Officer Accused Of Stealing From Passenger Luggage

LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) — Federal prosecutors say a Transportation Security Administration officer has been indicted on theft charges related to items that were stolen from luggage at Los Angeles International Airport.

Thirty-eight-year-old Paul Yashou of Torrance was named in a five-count indictment Friday that charges him with two felony and three misdemeanor counts.

The U.S. attorney’s office says the indictment alleges that Yashou stole an IWC GST chrono perpetual calendar moonphase watch valued at about $15,000, a Breitling Crosswind watch worth about $5,000, a $1,000 Antima watch, a $1,000 Movado watch and a $1,000 prepaid debit card.

Yashou was arrested last month at his home after an investigation revealed the $15,000 watch had been sold to a jewelry store that had tried to sell the item on eBay.

Yashou is scheduled to be arraigned on Aug. 3.  If convicted of all the felony and misdemeanor charges, Yashou faces up to 23 years in prison.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

1. brian says:

TSA= Theives Standing Around glad that he was caught I hope the owner sues for over a million dollars on the grounds of mental distress
    surprise tsa agents have been caught stealing womens underware but who knows

1. brian says:

have not been caught (corection)

2. Jeff says:

Why would someone leave a 15 thousand watch in there checked luggage?

1. Slaphedd says:

Why would someone spell “their” as “there.”. Oh wait, LAUSD.

3. Timothy McGarry says:

Of course they’re stealing from the luggage; it’s not like they have a job or anything.

4. swhitS says:

I guess the perverts are really the criminals after all.

5. Leroy says:

The judge told me I could either become a TSA agent or go back to jail.
    I chose TSA agent.

6. Jenny says:

Funny thing everyone is blind to is the fact that there are tons of police officers from EVERY agency that steel from people they interview and or arrest all the time. It just never gets to the media because they are experts at covering it up and work under very little supervision.I have a cousin with LAPD and what do you think happens to most of the thousands of dollars in cash that are confiscated from cars and or people they arrest in connection with drug dealings? Not going into evidence for sure…especially if the arrest happens at like 2AM. I will stop here before I give the LAPD a good reason to track my IP address and interview me.

7. Charlie says:

Now that my TSA buddy can get busted for stealing, guess i’ll have to behave and search the ladies more carefully to pass my time at work.

8. Patricia Burjony says:

I lost stuff from my lugage in Lax on 11/9/11
    connecting from united air.
    I need some one to get back to me
    lost credit cards social security card expensive items
    Need LAX police to contact me