What Makes Spot ‘Vicious’? LA County To Seize Dogs For Chasing People

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — The Board of Supervisors on Tuesday agreed to approve an ordinance giving animal control officers the right to declare a dog “vicious,” a designation that can potentially lead to the animal being euthanized.

The new measure changes the definition of what actually makes a dog dangerous, and does not require a severe injury to a person who is attacked by a dog.

KNX 1070’s John Brooks
reports animal control officers will now have the power to seize an animal simply for chasing someone.

“There doesn’t necessarily have to be a bite,” said director of animal control Marcia Mayeda. “But if a dog’s charging at you down the street and you jump on top of a car to get out of the way, that’s a potentially dangerous dog.”

Under current law, owners of dogs deemed to be potentially dangerous can be forced to either muzzle the dogs and place them on a short leash or otherwise confine them — in addition to requiring the dog to undergo training classes.

The law also sets up a more cost-effective administrative hearing process, one that won’t call on the Superior Court to resolve disputes over whether the picked-up dog was in fact dangerous.

Comments

1. swhitS says:

So, this means that the Chi that attacked the 2 ripping off a tabaco store will now be put to sleep?

Our gov is hell bent on getting rid of any animal that could protect the common man guns included. Ever wondered what they have planned?

1. Kelly43056 says:

My thoughts exactly!

2. Reality Check says:

Better yet we could tax you, Mike, $500 per word, for your hate filled posts. Then we can give the money to your friend Obama who will use it to “make a good start” on “cutting down” the deficit, when he gets around to it…

3. Tamandra Michaels says:

To YOU! That’s part of the problem, the mindset that dogs aren’t important, so just throw them in the back yard, don’t train them, socialize them, make them part of the family and society.

4. Georgiasaraann says:

You let your little girl go by herself outside, after being chased by dogs? What is she doing outside in the first place, without supervision?

5. Dreamtime says:

Mike you read so insensitive. Dogs, are not a hobby, guide dogs help the blind, they provide companionship to those who have none, they guard and protect children, and property, they can be trained as rescue animals, they assist the police in finding murder victims, drugs, guns, and not to mention they are cute as heck.
      Don’t sum it all up as a hobby and be willing to exterminate one of Gods creatures because a few owners can’t clean up after their pet, or have no idea how to properly train. A real viable solution would be to regulate and enforce licensing the adoption of these animal to homes that can manage, train and properly support the animal.

6. Dreamtime says:

@Elanehawk, this sounds like a stupid owner issue, not a stupid dog issue. The dog is doing instinctively what it is predisposed to do…defend its territory. The owner is the one that is failing to control his pet.
      I would say this is a three strike situation if the owner is fined 3 times then he cannot own an animal.
      My dogs if let loose would chase up to the confines of the property, that is what they were trained to do. That is what I want them to do.
      This also sounds like a neighbor dispute and perhaps your neighbor is purposefully using his pet to irritate you.
      If your daughter is being chased, stop letting her go outside alone.
      People ARE more important, stupid people not so much and you read as if you were stupid too.

7. blupill says:

Ruin sidewalks? lol. Mike you’re the kind of worthless old fart I would like to pop a cap into….if it were just legal.

8. ranroddeb says:

You rant belays any understanding of the relationship between people and their dog.. Perhaps your sour disposition comes from having a parent that beat you with a belt for attempting to have sex with the family pet A dog is a pet not your girlfriend.

9. Regulas says:

It’s Nazi mentality like yours that has helped destroy this country’s freedoms and no I don’t own a dog

10. Sulla says:

Mike, I’m with you 100%..as an eldery lady who walks a mile each morning,armed with a baseball bat to ward off dogs, I can’t tell you how much I’m fed up with those damn dogs and their damn owners…

1. rjm2238 says:

If you hit my dog with a baseball bat while he is minding his own business, I’ll knock your dentures down your throat.
        Rich in New Mexico.

11. Mikey12 says:

Elaine you sounds like an uneducated ass. There are a ton of hood rats and trailor trash that are a one level below a great dog. Let me guess….you fall into this camp.

12. Tax Payer says:

Pepper Spray the dog and the POS Owner!

13. Kaththee says:

Geeze Georgiasaraann, You think children regardless of age should be supervised on their way to the mail box so dog owners can let their precious “babies” run free? http://www.ajc.com/news/henry/witnesses-teen-girl-hit-660665.html I suppose you blame the parents of this 14 year old killed on her way home from school. These dogs charged her into traffic and killed her. I love my dogs but my dogs are not more important than someone else’s children. From the time they were puppies I took them to the bus stop every afternoon to be petted and played with by children. Now they are socialized with kids and do not charge them or get nervous around them.

14. superbu says:

The reactions to elainehawk dismay me. I don’t know that I agree the animal should necessarily be put down, but it should at the very least be taken away from the owner. Still, comments like “animals are more important that stupid dogs to YOU,” and, “You let your little girl go outside by herself?” are, frankly, ridiculous. A little girl can’t go outside in her own yard without being snapped at by a dog? But this is the attitude that prevails when you have an entire generation (or two) that no longer no longer gets married, no longer has children, but instead substitutes animals for children and treats them accordingly.

15. McNipple says:

Elaine, if I had my choice of saving your life or my dogs life….well, its been nice knowing you kid!!!

16. dispointvet says:

First off, any dog that chases one of my kids is fair game. second, if they make it as far as my front door, I’m in fear for my child’s life and that dog is getting shot. problem solved. of course in CA trees, plants, and animals have more rights than humans so I’d probably spend some time in the pokie.🙂

17. Georgiasaraann says:

Kathee, you exhibit classic liberal projection. You bring up a story about a 14 year old, who is not a little girl, killed by dogs chasing her into traffic and tell me I am blaming the parents. What a stretch. I also never said the dogs should be allowed to bother the child or neighbor. What I said was, the child should be supervised. Something, apparently, your parents never did.

18. RC says:

You actually reproduced? How horrifying.

19. Georgiasaraann says:

Superbu, hope you don’t get a nosebleed sitting on your high horse. Other people’s comments dismay you? Oh my, wouldn’t want that to happen. Talk about ridiculous, how about your not wanting to have the dogs destroyed, just taken away from their owners. Look genius, if that happes, they WILL be destroyed. Nice dogs get destroyed every day. Mean ones will not be re-adopted. You want the little girl to be allowed to run around unsupervised, especially after her parents KNOW there is a danger outside? Explain that one.

20. Elainehawk says:

For everyone that said I shouldn’t let my little girl outside!!! You are nuts! We were both headed outside at the same time, the mailbox is right in our culdesac! She ran to the mailbox ahead of me, cause she was excited to get the mail and that freaking dog chased her back to out front door, so I was with her, she ran ahead of me you MORONS! It was in our culdesac! Wow! Anyone that thinks a dog has rights to chase people..you guys don’t even deserve to be called humans!!!!! No wonder our society has gone down hill. Little girls are more important than a freaking DOG! Go back to your cave!!!! hopefully you get attacked by a pit bull ! You people are vermin!

21. Georgiasaraann says:

Too late elainehawk, you need to look at your first comment. You said she would go to the mailbox, not we. And the dog was snapping at her heels and you just let it? I had a dog that chased after my son on his rollerblades. I was right there and he was screaming for me. I tore after the dog, picked up a stick and chased him back to his owners who were standing outside. I told them if I ever saw that dog again I would beat it to death then come after them. Never saw the dog again. If I did, the dog would be dead. No police, no stupid law involved. Dead canine. No problem.

22. rob says:

do you always let your little girl walk around the neighborhood alone? your lucky that a snapping chi is the only thing you have to worry about… it could have been an ankle biting pedophile, next time, why dont you be with your daughter instead of staying inside the house smoking your crack pipe.

its not the dogs who are the problem, is parent neglecting and humans in general are a bunch of dumb you know whats, dogs are innocent and its the humans that need to be out down.

23. Mary says:

Seriously. This is so police-state-fascist. I don’t use that word lightly – but removing the courts and putting the choice of whether an animal lives or dies in an Animal Control worker’s hands… unbelievable.

2. Cogiito says:

The economy is so bad in LA that they are actually going to pull a North Korea and eat them there dogs.

1. Daniel says:

First gay history being forced on our children now they want our dogs .What’s next?

1. Reality Check says:

Carbon tax on breathing comes next. It will encourage people to stop breathing out the pollutant Carbon Dioxide. Of course if you choose to continue breathing then it is either pay up, or be put to sleep.

Thank-you U.S. Supreme Court for determining by a 5 to 4 decision that Carbon Dioxide, the gas which human beings and all other animals breath out, was what Congress intended to regulate when they passed the Clean Air Act 30 years ago.

2. Heartdog says:

Oh the outrage! First African American history, now gay history! The horror.

3. Georgiasaraann says:

Heartdog, what does black history have to do with gay history being taught? Aside from some writers, there is no gay history. And the writing has nothing to do with the author being gay. I was taught about some gay writers in school. About their work, not about their being gay. I don’t like women’s history either. It’s pandering. Take the sex, sexual orientation, race, etc. out of the picture. Did what the person, group, event rise to the level of being taught, due to it’s importance, or not?

3. John in NC says:

…”approve an ordinance giving animal control officers the right to declare a dog “vicious,” a designation that can potentially lead to the animal being euthanized”.

…”animal control personnel can destroy the dog under the new ordinance”.

…”The law also sets up a more cost-effective administrative hearing process, one that won’t call on the Superior Court to resolve disputes over whether the picked-up dog was in fact dangerous”.

Putting the issue of a “vicious dog” aside (a completely legitimate public safety issue), the way I read this story, it sounds like the Board of Supervisors are not bothered by Constitutional protections of due process and the “takings” clause.

But that’s typical of government in twenty-first century Amerika. Former Stasi officials would feel right at home here.

1. Commonzense says:

That’s exactly right, spot on. Sadly, “health, welfare, and safety” don’t include protection from our local governments themselves. Give a minute to consider what you’d have to do to get your beloved pet back from these people and you soon realize public safety will not be the end result of this ordinance. Especially now since they have eliminated standard due process procedures ensured by the Superior Court System.

1. Ghost says:

California is a joke…….get out if you can.

2. Mary says:

Exactly. I could not agree more.

4. Jerzey Boy says:

For anyone that rides a bicycle knows that dogs have some instinct to chase us.
    As one that has been chased and attacked by loose dogs I say bravo! Such encounters are dangerous to the rider, the people/drivers around and the stupid mutt. Such dogs need to be removed from society, period!

1. John in NC says:

You are missing my point. I too have had problems with unleashed dogs getting aggressive while walking or riding my bike. I’m talking about property rights and due process rights. Think about it. Do you really think this complies with the letter and spirit of our rights as guaranteed by the Constitution? Would you be so amenable to an ordinance that allowed traffic cops to seize and destroy bicycles from “careless riders”?

1. KENYAN SEIZES WHITE HOUSE... says:

2. Ashley Jackson says:

Oh, John you and your hyperbolic Constitutional argument. The article doesn’t detail what the process is, but rest assured there is some in liberaland. A property interest in a dog surely doesn’t warrant a pre-taking notice or an evidentiaty hearing. Relax, silly, we are way far from Nazi Germany.

3. Carlo says:

Ashley — I think you’ve got your head so far up your you-know-where that your knees are out of sight.

4. John in NC says:

To Ashley Jackson:

Hyperbolic? I thought our rights as citizens were supposed to be paramount. I guess that as long as you agree with the violations and infringements, that makes them okay. That is a dangerous mindset, for one day you may find yourself on the “wrong side” of the State with no recourse.

Also FYI, the Stasi where not Nazis, rather they were the post war East German Secret Police.

5. John is clueless says:

Bicycles cannot run down the road and bite people. Bicycles do not attack and kill children. Do you really not see a difference between a dangerous dog and a bicycle? They are trying to get dangerous dogs off the streets before they attack. There is no similar issue with bicycles. Leave a bicycle unattended and it is no danger except maybe to those that choose to ride it.. Leave a dog unattended and it will do its best to escape and cause havoc in the neighborhood. With people as like you, our society has no chance.

6. Get a clue John says:

John, your arguments about “our rights” are silly. Are you in middle school? Your arguments are at that level. Some “rights” are more important and more protected than others. See the first amendment and then the rest of the constitution and bill of rights for those that are the most important. There is no right to keep a violent and dangerous dog. Please show me where any law or the Constitution protects that right? Are you also gonna get all bent about of shape about peoples’ rights to discriminate based on race, sex, and religion? How about the right to drive drunk? Support that one? The right to own an assault rifle?

If you had read the article, you would see that due process is protected. I will paste the info since you couldn’t read that far –

But if a dog is determined to be a “significant threat to the public health, safety and welfare,” animal control personnel can destroy the dog under the new ordinance. … The board’s 4-0 support of the draft ordinance included noted animal lover Supervisor Michael Antonovich’s yes vote. … The law also sets up a more cost-effective administrative hearing process, one that won’t call on the Superior Court to resolve disputes over whether the picked-up dog was in fact dangerous

Oh, and you don’t think the East German secret police were nazis?

7. John in NC says:

To: Get a clue John

…”and you don’t think the East German secret police were nazis?” – I think you probably undersatnd the concept of Constitutional protections as well as you understand history.

8. TomB says:

“Bicycles cannot run down the road and bite people. Bicycles do not attack and kill children. Do you really not see a difference between a dangerous dog and a bicycle?”

I guess you’ve never had a close call with a bike messenger in NYC, SF, LA, or any of the other major US cities. In those instances, no, its not the bike itself but the rider who is the menace. It works the same way with the dogs: its not the dog itself most of the time, its the owner who does not leash the dog, piick up after the dog, or train it to not bite skin. All 3 are very easy to do no matter what the breed and negligence on the part of the owner if they do not.

9. TT says:

Due process is a constitutional right – for any one and any thing that is alive or not alive in this country -if people can fight over a dresser (an inanomate object) in a divorce, and that decision needs to be made about where it goes n whos property it is- its beyond my understanding why any animal woluldnt be given that same right to fight for its life.

2. Paul says:

Dont worry about the dog. Worry about me kicking your La Liberal arss!!

3. Rafu says:

You know i don’t like you I think I will remove you from society period, as well.

4. kimm says:

Just have the common sense NOT TO PEDAL in front of the dog, and they’ll leave you alone. I rode my bike all over and if a dog came out, I’d just coast until I went by it. Never was chased once.

When you keep pedling, they think you’re going to kick them in the head.

Why do animals always pay for human stupidity??????????

Anyway, don’t they have illegals they should be dealing with instead?

1. Simon Sez says:

I have a dog. He is an American Pit Bull Terrier.
        Rescued frm the pound, about to be put to “sleep”.

The problem is not you pedalling. The porblem is the irresponsible owner who leaves the dog outside.
        My dog already has a label bc of his breed. Why should we put up with dumb unleashed chihuahuas or golden retrievers around the neighborhood?
        They come looking for trouble, and of course my dog, on a leash, and myself are the ones who have to run the other way to avoid trouble.

HOW IS THAT FAIR??

5. Mitch says:

How about you jump down into the street and ride around them to avoid them instead of being an idiot and riding right past them.

6. ZZ says:

Typical bike nazi attitude. Surprised you don’t live in Boulder.

7. Reality Check says:

People who do not like you could make the same argument about you.

Just consider your being put ot sleep by animal control a very late term abortion and it should bypass all the constitution concerns about the taking of life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness without due process.

8. blupill says:

You stupid bike riders are a problem too, dont know how many close accidents with bikers I have had, cant say I have ever been chased by a dog…….

1. Mechtt1 says:

Learn how to drive properly,…….. take a trainning course,………… read a book
        (sportsmanlike driving )…………. very old……….. like you but very enlightening, Aurthored by American Automobile Association fith edition……………………. SHARE THE ROAD …!!!!!!!!!!!!
        IDIOT !!!!

9. Mary says:

So you’re OK with police state tactics, then, because that’s what this is.

Life isn’t perfect. Most of the time we live in harmony with dogs but there are exceptions. Do you realize how many innocent dogs can be taken from their owners and put down? That’s what they do in China. Shame on you for your short-sightedness.

5. otbros says:

I thought LA was broke. Why don’t they spend their money seizing illegal Mexicans instead?

1. don says:

Becasue they are not vicious bro….and they dont chase after you you and endanger your life oru your kids…

6. barker says:

So now they want to kill a dog for chasing an intruder off your property? hmmm

1. Gayle says:

Their idiots.

1. Gayle says:

Correction – They’re idiots.

2. roughman says:

Now, there’s an idiot…

2. elainehawk says:

Barker!!! Hello! Anyone in there? They said the dogs were chasing people down the street!!!! If they are chasing you down the street that means the dog is loose and not under control of the owner!!!! Let’s see you get chased and bitten by a dog and see how you like it!!!!

1. Mary says:

When is the last time this happened to you? It’s never happened to me, and I rescue dogs and walk all over the place.

7. Gayle says:

Can CA. do ANYTHING right?

1. Marcus says:

Not with morons like you here, apparently. This isn’t about California, it’s about Obama and the liberals. Can’t you keep up?

1. Astonished says:

I know I’m not much of a politico here, but how did you make the quantum leap from Los Angeles County to Obama? I really don’t think the President cares if Los Angeles County amends their vicious dog ordinance.

Really!

2. Reality Check says:

Hey, if it makes the government bigger and more powerful Obama likes it.

Raise taxes at the same time and Obama has a wet dream.

8. deen says:

The sooner the better….Also this is for the iditot dog owners who let their mutts bark in the middle of the night and early morning. . Do you people have no class and no sense of courtesy and decency for your neighbors ? I guess not.
    Shame on you ….

1. David says:

That’s only in the morning. You’re supposed to up cooking breakfast for somebody. Whoo! Whoo!

1. timmy2000 says:

HAHAHAH wow forgot about the whistle tip guy! Thanks for the throw back

2. don says:

Huh ?????…what the hell are you taling about…sure you are cooking breakfast.

9. Old Trampled Glory says:

Do you ever read a story about peoples freedoms being increased, or laws being repealed?

Think how long it takes and how much struggle is involved in getting anything repealed… and then think how easy it is for them to revoke our rights or restrict them.

10. Hank Warren says:

Useless laws from useless politicians, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our rights:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama, vote for Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

1. Astonished says:

Ron Paul! Are you kidding!!!

NO THANKS!

1. Reality Check says:

Exactly.

Ron Paul wants to bring the troops home, increase freedom at home, and decrease the size and cost of the federal government.

How many American citizens would be in favor of that ???.

Oh yeah, the vast majority of them.

No wonder you are “Astonished”.

11. FedUpWithFeds says:

Gayle … NO, CA cannot do anything right. The level of “stupid” in this state is simply beyond words. L.A. is a complete cesspool … I think all animals should be removed and banned from L.A. … for the benefit of the animals. Let the remaining human miscreants in L.A. then kill each other off. I left L.A. in 1990’s after OJ and Rodney, proof that the natives in L.A. had an IQ of a single digit at best. BEST DECISION I EVER MADE … like I said, it’s a cesspool, not to mention insanely stupid and hostile. I can’t wait for the 1st story where someone shoots the ‘animal control’ officer … I guarantee you it will happen. Like the TSA, someone will make a decision based not on common sense, but using wrote ‘rules.’ Like a Brown Shirt from Germany, the power will go to their head … someone will take someone out … it’ll happen, just wait. There are ‘bad dogs’ … they ARE CREATED BY BAD HUMANS … PUT THE HUMANS IN JAIL and send the dogs to the dog whisperer so they can just be a dog again. If that fails, then you can put them down humanely. I’m not against animal control per se, but God, if they’re ANYTHING like the TSA, I just can’t feel for ’em.

1. Astonished says:

FedUpWithFeds:

Speak for yourself. I have three dogs, a responsibility I take with deadly seriousness! All of my dogs are licensed, are up-to-date on their vaccinations, are trained and socialized. They wear collars and are not allowed outside of my property without being leashed. Just because you don’t like what LA COUNTY did, don’t visit you dumb on those of us who follow the rules and laws.

As for the rest of your rant. I think you should really cut down on the caffine!

1. Meggie says:

Then obviously, Astonished, FedUpWithFeds was not talking about you. You are the exception, not the rule.

2. don says:

I wish they were all responsible ownwers like your self. But the truth is most of the idiot dog owners are not.

12. Ken Drift says:

Shady, the officials in cali are all about control. They forgot they work for the people, most officials in most states do these days. Sad.

13. Bob A says:

No guns, no dogs. Must protect those violent negro criminals. They have a RIGHT to victumize you so stop complaining!

1. Marco says:

I wouldnt worry bout the Negro’s about now. I’d look a little deeper than that.

Can you say Casey Anthony?

14. Timothy says:

I am so tired of being chased by off-leash dogs when I go for a jog, to say nothing of dodging their uncollected feces. Hold owners responsible.

15. Bender says:

Let’s all keep this a civil and intelligient dialogue. Most politicians are products of the LA and Kalifornia school system. No grades and Social Promotion (Socialism).
    Kalifornians were given everything from the rest of the country by their blood and sweat as the moved West.
    Most suffer from “Acute Diminished Grey Matter Syndrom” according to a study by leading Euorpean Doctors. This may be due to a lobotomy at birth or mommy doing drugs while pregnant.
    As for the brilliant jerzy boy. Dogs are domesticated wild animals. As with bears, mountain lions and others of the hunter species. Running from them triggers their instict to go after the prey.
    If brainless liberals really wish to do something useful, they should offer themselves up to be put down.
    Los Angeles and Kalifornia is run by Nazi Socialist’s and LaRaza Brown Shirts !
    I’m glad the waste of the West never erased my Old School Ct Yankee Values.
    Here is food for thought, man was blessed with the greatest capacity for intelligence, yet he has chosen to exercise his/her capacity for ignorance and stupidity. Why is that ?

16. Rational Db8 says:

From the sounds of it, a playful and perfectly friendly dog with zero viciousness could be put to sleep if someone is simply afraid of all dogs, see the friendly one, runs, and the dog thinks they want to play and so chases the person without the slightest intent of harming that person.

Or for that matter, if someone wants to hurt the owner, just take some enticing meat offer it to the dog and run so the dog chases along, again with zero intent of ever harming the person.

There are all sorts of ways to get perfectly non-vicious dogs to chase someone, none of which ought to ever wind up costing the owner money and time to defend the dog, or worse, wind up with the dog being killed.

If the new law allows these sorts of things, and it sure sounds like it would, then it’s just grossly wrong.

1. elainehawk says:

You have no common sense mr. Rational !!!! Dogs have more rights than the people who get attacked by them!!!! Get it thru your head !people are more important than dogs!!!! Dogs shouldn’t be allowed to chase and bite people!!! Obviously you have never had a dog chase and bite you when all you were doing was walking to your own mailbox!!!! Grow a brain!!!! Your argument is ridiculous!!!!

1. Rational Db8 says:

Calm down Elaine. No dog has more rights than people do anywhere in the USA. Obviously dogs that actually bite anyone must be controlled. It is clear, however, hat there are already laws on the books to handle those situations. If existing laws aren’t being enforced properly, as it appears may be the case from other posts, adding a new law is less than worthless. Furthermore, adding any law that winds up with unintended consequences – e.g., hurting owners of non-vicious dogs that have never bitten anyone, and hurting non-vicious dogs themselves – is just a horribly bad law. I would also note that it’s clear you have no idea whether I’ve ever been bitten by a dog or not (fact is, I have, and more than once). You are clearly quite upset about this subject, but I hope you can calm down for a minute and think things thru a bit more rationally.

2. Mary says:

VERY well said. I agree 100%. Lots of room for abuse in this law. It’s ridiculous and probably unConstitutional.

17. pranqster says:

Everyone should just buy a Mexican chihuahua. The police would never go after them.

18. alg says:

several months ago, 2 of my neighbors pit bulls got loose (the gardeners left the gate open), and chased one of my neighbors with his leashed dog.
    My neighbor was bitten by the two pit bulls, and his dog was severely bitten by the pit bulls.
    The police were called. The animal shelter was called. While the attack was ongoing. My neighbors and I had to take action to protect my neighbor and his dog.
    We finally beat off the dogs, and they ran home.
    While my neighbor went to the hospital, and the dog went to the vet the police finally showed up AFTER the animal shelter did.
    The police took no action against the pit bulls owner, and neither did the animal shelter.
    I am puzzled by this NON ACTION by these two agencies, as if we had not intervened there would have been a dead dog, and a severely injured neighbor.
    what kind of laws do we have that are not enforced???

1. elainehawk says:

Wow! That is totally un believable! And probably if you would of killed one of the pit bulls tho. They probably would put you in jail ! That’s how crazy our society is! I hope that guy sues the owners!!!!

19. Roger says:

The vastly overpaid vermin known as the LA County Board of Supervisors spends its “valuable” time on chasing after chasing dogs? Pitiful. The ones who should be euthanized are these government leaders, but they’re already asleep at the wheel.

20. mimi says:

I agree with this. We were chased by a Doberman that we thought was going after our dog but was going after my 8 year old. He came at us twice. Animal control did nothing.

1. Rational Db8 says:

Please think about what you are saying – a new law isn’t going to help situations such as you went thru. Adding a new law when current laws for far worse incidents aren’t even being enforced makes less than no sense. The new laws won’t be enforced either, or will be unequally enforced.

Focus instead on getting current laws enforced, and animals that behave in clearly vicious fashion dealt with appropriately. Adding more unenforced laws on top of existing unenforced laws is worse than worthless.

1. Astonished says:

A rational voice. Finally! I totally agree!

21. Hot Conservative Girl says:

So if Rachel Maddow chases a taxi, she can be euthanized?

1. Brookly says:

as in putting her out of our misery?

2. Boy says:

Haaaaaa…..Haaaaa..

I don’t really know who Rachel Maddow is but….. Haaaa..

22. Brookly says:

with all due respect from a New Yorker, you guys totally mystify me… gang members shoot up the block no problemo, dog chases bicycle? front page news… I not saying your wrong, I am just saying I don’t get it.

1. me too says:

I’m mystified too and I live here!!

23. Roslyn says:

I am a senior citizen who uses a 4 wheeled walker when I leave my apartment. I HATE DOGS. They try to jump on the seat off my walker and I have no defense. Their stupid, idiotic owners keep smiling and saying “Don’t worry he won’t bite'”. I am thinking of buying a gun i(I will register with the police0) and then I will fee safe. Dogs are filthy dirty animals….cats are clean and don’t bite people i believe all dogs should be on a leash and WEAR A MUZZLE.

1. Charles U. Farley says:

Cat commie.

2. Mike says:

I second that!

24. Keebler says:

Here is a thought, how bout we start putting the people that make these dumb assed laws along with government figures six feet under. Kill off the gene pool from the top down that thinks the American people can’t resolve their own issues without government oversight. Start with Obama.

1. Mike says:

Here’s better idea: why don’t we that to dog owners instead? Boom, problem solved!

25. There's No Sense Left says:

This is L.A. isn’t it? Why don’t they just send poor misguided Fido to sensitivity training. I mean diversity training. I mean rehab. Oh forget it.

1. Rational Db8 says:

ROFL!! Good point!

26. Astonished says:

The news always take a lot out of contex, so I don’t really put a lot of weight behind their “explaination.” First of all, I want a definition of “charging” since running around playfully and charging with intent to do harm are way different. Also, I would need to read the entire Ordinance before believing anything the paper says. As far as any animal that charges an intruder. If the county is ignornant enough to attempt to classify my dogs as dangerous because they protected their territory and family, I would be going to the highest court in the land and suing until I won. It’s my property, and my rules on my property. You don’t belong there, my dogs have the right to protect my family.

27. Early Ardmore says:

“The problem with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money.” – Margaret Thatcher

—————— http://911essentials.com

28. Buster Collins says:

The fault needs to act up and California needs to fall into the ocean. We are done with the freaks, atheists and nut jobs that live there.

1. Charles U. Farley says:

Get lost. We’re not ALL leftist morons.

2. Jon Weiss says:

I’m not in favor of that, as soon as the quake hits Harry Reid will be buying all of the property along the Nevada/Cali border so he could later resell it at a profit as “beachfront.”

3. gregtompkins says:

Wanting millions of people to die, by a terrible earthquake speaks volumes about your true Christian belief. Well done.

29. Jon Weiss says:

Don’t like my dog chasing you?? Stay the hell out of my yard!

30. Charles U. Farley says:

POLICE STATE.

31. jacob richards says:

yeah the noise factor is another issue. Spoiled americans must not have their dogs “controlled.” This dog faze.. its like people don’t have anything real to live for so they “grow” dogs.

32. Mike Alright says:

You all wanted an overprotective government to make you “feel” safe. Well, you have it. Cry me a river, girls.

33. merle says:

California is insane. Soon it will be to dangerous to cross your threshold and then what will you do without turning to the government for instructions. PATHETIC!!!!!

34. merle says:

Bravo There’s No Sense Left!

35. wasted says:

Why do they waste time on matters they can’t enforce. It takes animal control officers hours to come pick up strays……one officer for half the county at night….so how can they really enforce it?wasted

36. John Campbell says:

So why is it the people of LA do not stand up and simply throw these leftist wannabe dictators out? When is enough, enough?

37. Will says:

This is just to cover the butts of those puupy killing thugs aka cops

38. Parsifal says:

Thousands upon thousands of illegal alien gang members that are in your face but some mental deficient government degenerate wants to take your dog and kill it.

Watch the video The Tiny Dot that explains who and what government is …

————– http://911essentials.com

39. soqueesh_mulhatra says:

Another extension of the Police State!
    I ask all citizens to wake up and look at what’s happening all around you. Taxing us into poverty, allowing illegal invaders to rush the border, purposely crashing the economy… Now they want our guns and the beloved family dogs that protect us!
    Wake up America!
    Resist these criminal politicians!

40. TONY says:

the is absolutly B.S

41. Jane Ryan Cunningham says:

I hate California , everything is illegal there except what should be.

42. Dave says:

The only thing that makes LESS sense than the tax laws in this country are the animal laws. Or lack of them.

This is a free license to kill any dog any power drunk animal control idiot sees fit, with impunity and not even a chance to have a real Court look into the cases.

I’m a pro canine behaviorist who does expert testimony in bite cases all the time, I was doing this before Cesar Milan crawled under the border fence and became a groomer.

We should make our crooked politician laws the same in severity as we do our vicious animal laws and everything would work out just fine.

And if you’re ever stuck in a room with a vicious tiger, a vicious pit bull and a lawyer with only two bullets in your gun, shoot the lawyer twice.

43. USShepherd says:

What’s with jumping on a car to avoid a dog attack? Are you people that wimpy that you’re not “allowed” to even carry a can of mace?! NEVER run from a dog…mace it and then when the owner shows up – mace him too!

1. elainehawk says:

Haha that’s pretty funny! Yeah, when the owner comes running up and mace him…say oops I missed, sorry!!!! But seriously! Dogs and dog owners are out of control ! In Denver, they rounded up all the pit bulls and killed them because so many people were getting attacked and mauled to death ! One was an old lady right at her own front door! Now the midget from the show about pit bulls is going to Denver to try and change the laws about owning pit bulls in Denver!!! Pele need to get back to caring more for humans instead of caring more for animals…it’s really out of control ! People are even bringing their dogs into grocery stores and movie theaters!!! Come on people wake up!!!!!

1. don says:

should do that in LA.

44. mmercier says:

We have a leash law here in Massachusetts. Occasionally my little mutts break out of the yard and get abducted by the police.

The locals have no animal control officer, so they turn them over to a nice shelter in the next town.

The deal is, $80 per mutt, or we off your dog 24 hours after we contact you..

45. Real Rick says:

If a dog is chasing me, I prefer to use a 12 gauge or, if I need to do it faster, the 38 that’s strapped to my leg. It may get in a bite or two but, never again.

46. bobdohr says:

On this idea, does this mean that we can “seize” the county supervisors for passing “inane or idiotic” laws in their own unique style?!!!

47. floridapeddler says:

As a Florida resident and avid cyclist, I could only wish more dog owners were on your page Astonished. Stupid people raise stupid dogs. If and when a dog chases it can or will attack. PERIOD! Put it down and fine/jail the “owner” as if they were the one committing the crime.

48. Reality Check says:

Businesses are abandoning CA at an ever increasing rate.

When all the high income people move to Texas and Florida who are the Democrats going to be able to tax to maintain the size of government the Democrats and illegal aliens can not live without ???

49. Reality Check says:

Hey, maybe Democrats in California can have the California Supreme Court declare the Balance Budget requirement of the California state Constitution Unconstitutional because it makes some gays and illegal aliens feel bad.

Then governor Brown could fix California’s problems the same way Obama is fixing the U.S. economy. Borrow money that neither Obama nor Brown ever intend to pay back.

50. Reality Check says:

Will the last person leaving the People’s Republic of California please turn off the lights…

51. Aaron Self says:

If my dog is chasing someone and they try and take my dog away its simple. I’m going to shoot them. i have a toy poodle. My dog couldn’t hurt you if she tried. She weighs 4 pounds. So come and try to take her for chasing someone in a dangerous fashion.

1. Elainehawk says:

Aaron, it’s a well known fact that most of the time it is smaller dogs that chase people and actually bite them! No dog bite is fun To go thru,whether it’s from a bog or small dog…if you think it’s okay for your dog to chase people because it’s a poodle….you are not playing with a full deck!

52. Scooch says:

More power is just more power to abuse. The poor people who will lose their loved pets to bureaucrats with nothing to do.

53. The Conservatarian says:

Common sense should rule the day. However, this is troubling:

So no real trial to see if it was legal to take away your property? There should be an even bigger outrage over that issue.

54. Bruce_Almty says:

Thumper was whooping up on some dude recently; bunnies should be added to the “vicious” list also.

55. Stephen Bozich says:

Man’s relationship with dog preempts man’s relationship with state. Why don’t we declare unconstitutional bureaucrats “vicious” and have your dogs chase them away?

56. Nikki Oldaker says:

There are some people that hate dogs –and many more who do not. But if a dog is attacking people and or running in packs and biting people that is a problem. I think after reading the article the city is trying to figure out ways to cut the budget and not having to spend money in court is one of them. We own 3 Bichons – Mom, Dad and one of their pups. They may look like foo foo dogs but they are far from it…as loving as they are in the house, we know what they are capable of and are never off their leashes when outside unless we are at a dog park. We love our animals and don’t want them to get run over by a car. Our dogs are the best line of defense at home –someone walks in uninvited they’ll meet a very loud welcoming committee, get their mug on my security camera video and intruder alarms go straight to the police who will drive over and find me or my husband babysitting the intruder with our 44. As Clint said in one of his best films, “Go ahead, make my day.” If you own a dog the kindest thing you can do for it is train it and keep it safe from people who hate animals–just like you would your children from stranger danger…if you don’t own a dog or hate them, use a little common sense and respect the fact that the animal may lost and a family is looking for it…check the Lost and Found ads. If it’s wild, growling and looks like it wants you for dinner, it probably does -steer clear and call 911.

57. SJ says:

If, the LA gangs would quit feeding their Rots and Pits gun powder to make them “tough”. Then there would not be a need for this law!! Of course when jogging by a “hostile” dog that with its actions if loosed gives the impression it would attack you??? My favorite are the “dogs” that jump their fences and attack a persons leashed dog they are walking down the street… Yeah there are some “pet owners” that should be serving some LONG prison terms!

58. Davs says:

The first step is to declare the dog potentially dangerous. This allows the owner to keep the dog – with restrictions. They’re telling the owners, “Look you have an aggressive animal. Start being responsible and keep it from running loose. Take it to obedience training. Don’t give us any more problems and you can keep the dog.”

For those who ignore animal services instructions and allow their dog to chase people, attack other pets, etc. will have the animal seized and then they can take steps to tell the judge, “Look we put them on minimal restrictions and they ignored us. Now, so-and-so’s cat is dead, killed right in from of the children. We need to take this animal from these irresponsible owners.”

59. THX1138 says:

Spend more time finding the sicko humans that chase down people and rape them in a back alley. Chase down the people that let their dogs run loose. Chase down the people that thinks it’s okay to buy one of God’s creatures train it to kill and then profit from it. The list goes on and on.

Instead, our arse backwards society goes chases down something that has no clue. The mentality that government is the answer to all our problems and that protecting people from ourselves will be the destruction of this once great nation.

60. PS says:

The stupidity of this law is without limitation. My Yorkie and i will stay in civilization, thank you.

61. blake says:

I prefer the dogs to the majority of you idiots. You couldn’t pay me enough to live in California.

1. don says:

Good leave if you are here and don’t come come to califonia if you are not here …

62. PS says:

What about if it chases a cat? Or eats a bone? Or licks someone that piet him? Or goes to the bathroom? Or breathes? Or has doggy breath? Sickos in Office!! Is this really the way you want to live? Chase down the polluters that cause COPD and asthma out in LA but leave our best friends alone!

63. mmouse says:

Axiom of life: Bad dog, bad owner. Good dog, just plain good dog.

64. Bill Watkins says:

People need to learn how to control their animals. The last dog that came after me while I was running got bludgeoned with a club. I bet the owner will be thinking twice about letting the dog run loose when it came home all bloody. LOL

65. Joe Clark says:

I couldn’t agree more with this article. Keep your dog on your property!

66. reality66 says:

Hmmm, I wonder what kinds of people would own vicious dogs.. It certainly wouldn’t be blacks and Mexicans, would it? Not in L.A County, no way

67. Mr Nairb says:

It is simple. If your dog runs me down I will shoot it to death in order to protect myself and my family. Everyone will be safer and the government doesn’t even have to mettle in our affairs.

1. Shawn says:

Now why can’t everybody be sensible like you?

68. Kent West says:

All these dumb dogs and their idiot owners. I see records of hundreds of children who have been mauled, even killed by dogs. Yes, your stupid mutt chases bicycles, while the owners yell “don’t worrry he doesn’t bite,” as the dog knocks you over or into traffic. Not everybody thinks of Fido as a cute little child like you do. Keep that thing on a leash and keep it the hello away from me.

69. Get Real 65 says:

To all you sniveling pet owners. Get a serious grip !! If your pet is trying to attack someone ourside of your yard, then it should be stopped on the spot by what ever means is available. ONLY COWARDS OWN PETS THAT WILL DO THEIR FIGHTING FOR THEM.
    We’re not affriad of those little poodles and smaller dogs, but if your PET inclicts injury upon a human, then it needs to be put down, and if you’re stupid enough not to train your pet suffeciently enough to secure it from attacking humans, the I would also put you in jail. Ooops the jails are too full already. Well maybe you should go the way of your savage pet, and you can enjoy them all you want while basking in heaven with them.
    If you want comfort, try communicating with another human, don’t use dogs and cats as subsitutes as it places them in an untenable position. They are not your babies, THEY ARE ANIMALS FIRST AND FOREMOST. !!! Or did you morons happen to forget that………….

70. sean patriot says:

So you can get rid of rabid wild dogs but you cant get rid of rabid wild gang banger mexicans?

71. Shawn says:

You should do things Texas style. Just shoot the dang thing.

72. Ruralhack says:

Sounds like they are forming a bigger income pipeline on the backs of pets.

73. Sick of Nigeroids says:

PETS are LIKE GOD—-STUPID PEOPLES CRUTCH!!!!!

If a MUTT CHASES PEOPLE KILL IT and LOCK UP the OWNER and CONFISCATE HIS PROPERTY!!!!!

1. Elainehawk says:

You are an idiot, GOD place animals under man..so that man has reign over animals…not the other way around you MORON!

74. TomRay says:

I suppose that guard and watch doogs make it hard for Democrat voters to make a living.

75. Tom Davidson says:

So now it is up to the ‘enforcement officers’ to decide whether a crime has been committed, and to serve as judge, jury, and executioner for a beast doing what any cornered beast would do.
    High Justice!
    How positively medieval.

76. rjm2238 says:

Hey Michael Vick for dog catcher! Only in California.
    Rich in New Mexico.

77. rjm2238 says:

Vote for Michael Vick for dog catcher!
    Rich in New Mexico

78. Tax Payer says:

A policeman once told me that dangerous dogs and their useless stupid owners are good for one thing
    TARGET PRATICE!

79. Jo Dean says:

OK, now thats just kinda crazy when you think about it.

web-anon-tools.us.tc

80. Mike says:

This is another bad effect of illegal immigration. Go to Mexico and watch how people treat their dogs…..unleashed, poor conditions, etc. That’s exactly what’s happening to dogs in the southwestern US.

Americans typically have treated their dogs very well and been responsible pet owners. That’s yet one more area in which illegals are not assimilating to America. I can tell which of my neighbors are illegal and which are not purely by the way they treat their dogs.

81. George Baumann says:

I hope to GOD if someone is threatening me that my dog will chase him! AND bite him!! That’s my dog’s JOB. He guards me. Mayeda is an idiot, and so are the legislators in the People’s Republic of Los Angeles. And so are all you dog-hating commenters.

82. Mitch says:

So, if this is the case, if the government is found to be too vicious, can we have all of them euthanized?

Whats good for one is good for all, or is it again. Do as I say, not as I do?

83. Dave Shaffer says:

Touch my Schnauzer and I will shoot you in the face.

84. LoveDogsAndKids says:

@Elanehawk, People ARE more important than any animal, regardless of the owner’s IQ!
    People should not have to fear for their safety in their own front yards or even on a public sidewalk.
    ALL pets, dogs or otherwise, should be under their owner’s control at all times.

85. Diana says:

There are a lot of crazy people on this blog! “dogs rule” Anybody mess with my dog, which I consider my child, will pay the price!

1. on says:

Get a life…you must be not have any friends….

86. Susan says:

WOW! Mayeda actually worked! A totally new experience for her.

87. JPST says:

@Elaine I am with you….. this is not about parents not supervising their children….it is about irresponsible dog owners not supervising their dogs. I should not have to worry about my children going out into their own front yard. It is the responsibility of the dog owner to make sure the dog does not threaten anyone and especially come on to someones property and attack them. If a dog owner truly cares for their dog then they would do everything possible to prevent this from happening. Some dog owners make the mistake of putting their dogs freedom to rome above the possible consequences to the public. To become a dog owner is to except the responsibilty that the dog could hurt someone and/or get hurt itself. Those of you that just knowingly let your dogs rome free just don’t care. On the other hand…..if your dog attacks someone while on a leash or because someone was attacking you….in these cases there should be exeptions. There should be scenarios where the attack was justifiied.

88. TT says:

Dogs have every right to “have their day in court” like anyone else – BUT – i think the people at the beginning of this hit the nail on the head – there should be a 3 strikes law – if you dont take care of your animals – you shouldnt be allowed to own them – its a PRIVILEGE – not a RIGHT….If you cant play by the rules – then dont own animals……On the other hand – the rules shouldnt change in the middle of the game ….. something to think about …..

1. TT says:

oh and i will add – just because a dog runs up to you – doesnt mean they are always a danger – its a dog – they might just wanna say hi n smell you – to find out if you are gonna hurt them – people forget animals are more afraid of you than you are of them ….THEY ARE ANIMALS !!!!!

89. County Resident from District 3 says:

Many of you made good points. Some of you are racist pigs. If any case, we should all be aware that this is not YET over and the proposed amendments to the ordinance have not YET been adopted. So SHOW UP at the Board of Supervisors Meeting on Tuesday July 26, 2011 at 9:30 am at 500 Temple street and sign up to explain cordially why you think the proposed revisions are unfair.

90. Robby Logan says:

Dogs should be outlawed within the entire city of LA. They are a nuisance, a public health hazard and great destroyers of the environment. I have no problem shooting any dog that looks at me crosseyed, the same goes for their owners.

91. Irma Carrillo says:

If a dog is loose, it may chase. That does not indicate viciousness. That is natural. Keep or regain control of the dog. Only if it bites without provocation or reason should it be considered a problem and since biting is also natural to most animals, this law is ridiculous. I’ve been bitten by a cat, so have people I’ve known. Cats scratch, pet rabbits will bite or scratch, birds will bite. Society’s politicians are becoming way too controlling. Glad I moved out of LA to Burbank. Sounds like another stupid law in an attempt to make some segment of their constituency happy while notably reducing the dog owners ability to defend their pet. Also another way to collect a fine & put more dogs to sleep. The public needs to rethink their support of the trend towards regulating all aspects of our lives and behavior. With this law, any loose dog could be accused without proof or recourse. It is also a redefinition of the meaning of visciousness solely to enact the order, kill the dog, collect the fine and congratulate themselves on being pro-active politicians. Pathetic.

92. Irma Carrillo says:

As for the dog haters, please use your “intelligence” to realize that for other people, dogs are beloved companions and for human society they are life-savers for the disabled, ill, for those that require rescue from a search and rescue dog, closure for a cadaver dog, protection for everyone from the family to the K-9 officer (human & dog) to the dogs who sniff out illegal drugs, arms, bombs and give their lives in the military to protect our American soldiers.

You may hate dogs, but given the role they fill in human society, they deserve everyone’s respect and protection.

I’d like to see the dog haters tell a rescue team if they were trapped under a building after the ‘big 1″ tell the rescuers to get that nuisance away from them and the city of LA then.

93. Janet says:

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Unfortunately when a dog gets vicious, the dog has to be put down because there is no other choice, and the owner gets a fine which is basically a slap on the wrist then they just go out and get another one. These poor animals get such a bad rap. There are too many pit bulls, german shepherds and other dogs like these in the shelters because their owners couldn’t handle them. People need to do their homework before getting an animal like this. If you can train them wonderful, you’ll have a beautiful dog that will be a beautiful companion, if not, don’t get them you will just ruin their lives.

1. Simon Sez says:

AGREE!!
      Love your smart, politics free, pro-responsible ownership, opinion.
      Thanks!

94. Lonnie Fehr says:

about time ,,, dog owners who think its funny when there dog chases etc someone . you know the ones ,,, who never use a leash . plus if you fear your safety you have the right to defend yourself against a dog ,, a bat gun etc etc … this new law wouldn’t even be needed if it wasn’t cause of irresponsible dog owners ,,running dogs off leash ,,,

95. Simon Sez says:

I have a dog. He is an American Pit Bull Terrier.
    Rescued from the pound, about to be put to “sleep”.

The problem is not you pedalling. The problem is the irresponsible owner who leaves the dog outside.

HOW IS THAT FAIR??
    I think this law (in some cases) might protect people and dogs like us, who get chased while doing nothing. I could just unleash my dog and let him take care of business when dogs chase us, but then he will be put back in the pound and put to sleep for being vicious. There are many sides on this story, but people need to be responsible and take care, and train their dogs.

96. Kent Dimmer says:

I have been browsing online greater than three hours today, but I never found any fascinating article like yours. It is beautiful value enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the web can be much more helpful than ever before.

97. secrets to dog training, dog leash training,dog leash training tips,dog leashes,dog off leashtraining,pitbull leash training,dog training, leash training,puppy leash training,dog collar training,dog training tricks,dog potty training,the dog whisperer,pup says:

Pretty part of content. I simply stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to claim that I get actually enjoyed account your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I success you get right of entry to persistently quickly.