Ex-Detective Pleads Insanity In Kidnap-Rape Case
RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. (AP) — A former police detective has changed his plea in a California kidnap-rape case to not guilty by reason of insanity.
Prosecutors say 32-year-old Anthony Nicholas Orban kidnapped a waitress at gunpoint in the Ontario Mills mall last year and sexually attacked her in a Fontana park. The then-Westminster detective wasn’t on duty at the time.
Orban earlier pleaded not guilty, but he changed to the insanity plea on Friday.
Defense lawyer James Blatt says the former Marine who served in Iraq had a psychotic break brought on by prescription drugs and post-traumatic stress.
If convicted, the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin says a jury will decide on his mental state. If he’s then ruled not guilty by reason of insanity, he will be sent to a state mental hospital.
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)