29_35x90 knx_35x90

Local

Person Left Ill After Hazardous Chemical Spill

View Comments
(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

RIVERSIDE (CBS) — A person became ill Friday after a cleaning solution spilled onto a Moreno Valley roadway, prompting a hazardous materials cleanup and street closure.

A bag containing muriatic acid was run over by a driver at 8:30 a.m. on Nason Street, just south of Cactus Avenue, according to the Riverside County Fire Department.

The substance, which can be purchased from hardware stores, was spread all over the street and is often used for cleaning or etching brick and concrete.

One person in the area suffered from minor lung irritation and was taken to Riverside County Regional Medical Center.

The fire department’s hazardous materials team shut down the street for over two hours while the fire department removed the chemical.

The reason the chemical was left in the street is unknown.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus