SAN DIEGO (CBS) — The governor of Baja called on Friday for search crews to continue looking for seven Americans that went missing after their boat sank off the California coast.
While typically the Mexican navy would stop searching for survivors after four days, Baja California Gov. Jose Guadalupe Osuna says the sea is calm and the water is warm enough to allow the search to continue.
KNX 1070’s Tom Reopelle reports officials are still hopeful that at least some survivors may be found.
“We’ve searched other areas that we haven’t searched in the past,” said Alfredo Escobado, a spokesman for civil protection in Baja.
The fishing boat “Erik” — which had been operating on the Gulf of California since 1989 — capsized last Sunday during a storm around 60 miles south of San Felipe.
One American drowned, while seven other passengers are still missing.