Trial Begins For Teen Accused Of Killing Gay Classmate

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Southern California teen accused of gunning down a gay classmate in middle school is going on trial on a murder charge.

Opening statements are slated for Tuesday in the trial of Brandon McInerney, who is being tried as an adult on charges that include lying in wait and a hate crime. He faces up to life in prison if convicted.

McInerney was 14 when authorities say he shot 15-year-old Larry King at their Ventura County middle school. Court documents say Larry said “I love you” to the other boy in the hallway the day before.

Larry’s family has sued school officials for failing to protect the teen.

A police detective has testified that Larry’s sexuality was an affront to McInerney’s ideology, and was probably the motive for the crime.

Comments

1. Fry McInerney! says:

I could care less about the age of this monster; he should FRY! If he could react in this violent, deadly manner because someone is gay and ALLEGEDLY said “I love you” to him, then this kid will snap over a multitude of things as he ages. Behind bars is exactly where he belongs! I hope Larry’s short life won’t be lost for nothing. I hope someone- even one person- will benefit from this tragic loss in some way. MCINERNEY BELONGS IN HELL!!!

1. JOHNNY POPP IN L.A. says:

AMEN! GIVE HIM LIFE WITHOUT!

2. Johnny Popp in L.A. says:

HATE CRIMES are Inexcusable… NO Matter What their Age!
    A Young Bigot grows up to be an Old Bigot!
    Save Civilized Society the trouble & Heart Ache NOW!
    I SAY HE GETS NATURAL LIFE IN PRISON!

3. jade says:

Age matters, jail wont do diddly squat this kid needs programs and therapy.

4. Art says:

Therapy for this Guy won’t work. He is too much of a mess. It may work as he gets older, but only if He wants it.

5. Jessenia Martinez says:

Murder is murder, no matter what the age of the murderer. This boy deserves life in prison.

6. Paul Lane says:

It’s time Brandon paid the piper. He’s lucky, he wont have to face the Gas Chamber. Life w/o parole is almost a sure thing.

7. warrk21 says:

Please go to departedngone and Let The World Know that we have lost a Good Life.
    Departed N Gone

8. TheDagoStud says:

Poor kid. Why is he being described as gay, because he said “I love you” to another boy?

Shot and killed for saying I love you. How insane is that?

9. Dave T. says:

I really hope that he gets acquitted.

10. Tim says:

Suing the school district for not protecting? Wow… I hope they have more proof than what I am reading.

11. ALZ says:

Murder is murder! No has the right KILL for reasons in this case. How deadly can words be, a this age. Kids say these things all the time. Plus does one have the right kill some for their choice a clothing? Hair color? Sexuality? Being gay? Hell no! Ya may not like it! But murder? NO WAY!

12. jan says:

this will be appealed to the appellate court, california supreme court, federal appellate, and ultimately to the u.s. supreme court. we are looking at 5 more waiting years before the start of his prison term. this is probably the tactic being worked on — delaying tactic.

13. tribepride says:

i don’t want my kids going to school with these violent white trash kids.