Police Chief Reports Attacks On LAPD Officers Up 42 Percent From Last Year

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Attacks on police officers have increased dramatically, both nationally and locally, and some LAPD officers say they can explain the trend.

Police Chief Charlie Becks announced assaults on LAPD officers have increased by 42 percent from last year.

KNX 1070’s Pete Demetriou reports on an increase in assaults on LAPD officers.

Officers David Stovill and Jared Vann, both serving in the southwest division, said that the bad economy plays a role, increasing people’s desperation, and that they’re seeing more ex-convicts and non-revocable parolees out on the streets.

Officer Art Gallegos, a 10-year veteran, says those who lash out at law enforcement are often mentally ill, are drug users or have served prison time.

Gallegos had a confrontation Tuesday with a panhandler who seemed ready to attack the officer.

“I was able to deescalate the situation by just talking to him and saying, ‘I want to know who you are and why you were panhandling by that restaurant over there,’ and letting him know panhandling was not tolerated there.”

As a result of the increased aggression, Gallegos says there is more talk among law enforcement about tactics, officer safety and warning against complacency. These talks prove all the more necessary with 140,000 supposed “low-risk” inmates set to be released from prison in the next couple of years.

Comments

1. Astonished says:

Attacks on Law Enforcement is on the rise because we have a pathetic justice system that allows ambulance chasing lawyers to make the cops out to be bad guys because they’re doing their jobs and the criminals to be saints. Until that changes, low lifes will continue to take their sorry, loser lives out on the cops and on law abiding citizens and then expect to be paid for it.

2. Albert says:

Cops are being attacked because the way they treat people. I thank God that I am not using drugs or am mentally ill. But I had felt the injustice of cops and had gotten very angry to the point of wishing that somebody really crazy takes them down. Becareful what you wish for.

I had a Uruguayan CHP officer testifying aginst me in a supposed DUI, I was absolved by the court but DMV suspended my driver’s lisence and I lost my job just because the Uruguyan CHP is raicist.

1. booze hound says:

Are you blaming the nationality of the officer or the court system? Maybe you should be blaming yourself for driving under the influence. Police are a necessary evil and everyone should learn the correct protocol in dealing with law and enforcement officials and practice on their diplomacy skills.

1. Tim says:

Those latino cops are nothing but retar*ds with guns.

2. batteredbypd says:

Right on @drink n drive!!!

3. Mike D says:

What excessive use of force? What abuse of power?

4. Linda says:

They have a right to go after “Illegals” Their kind make crime rates go up.

1. Tony says:

Why is that comment racist? It is true! I got your back Linda. If we don’t speak up they will want to take over.

5. Joe says:

I guess this is how they are going to justify there kill anything that moves policy.

6. ProudCopMom says:

Joe you should do some research about how the police are trained before you run your mouth about things you have no actual truth about. If you stay out of trouble you have nothing to worry about. My son is an officer out there protecting you and your family – he has already saved multiple lives including an illegal who was in custody and tried to kill himself – my son could have let him finish, but put himself at risk to save this guy. Most of them are heroes – any of these ciriminals hurt my son they are going to wish for death. Police officers are someone’s child too.

1. ProudCopMom says:

Sorry that should have been “criminals:

2. Joe says:

Everybody is at risk when your son is running around the streets with a gun trying to impress his co-workers. Sounds like he the kid that got beat up everyday on the way home from school.

3. Cherise Batteredbypd Rogers says:

Sooooo you honestly believe “If you stay out of trouble you have nothing to worry about”….So naive you are ProudCopMom…Why don’t you do some research yourself rather than using your 1 son as a example for all these supposed “good cops”…

7. jet says:

Mexican cops are so hated.

1. ILA says:

Jet, I don’t think it’s only mexican cops that are hated. All cops are hated when you get pulled over and you know it’s gonna cost you $$$

1. jet says:

No.those mexican ones got issues.And those inferiority complex ridden self hating brown animals carries a gun and a badge.Nothing worse than that.
        Big white cops are usually easy going and reasonable.

8. impoundguy says:

KNX

Gee… what a surprise that non-revocable parolees out on the streets “again” would have anything to do with this increase…who would have thought that, anyone with a brain I suppose?

9. SteelMe says:

Our criminal problems in CA have only just begun. There’s a Court order for the Dept of Corrections to release 33,000 prisons by year 2013. Buckle up, it’s going to be a bumpy ride