Auto Club Offers Free Tipsy Tow For Fourth Of July Revelers
LOS ANGELES (CBS) — If you find yourself partying a little too hard during the holiday weekend, call the Automobile Club of Southern California for a tow – its free.
The Auto Club’s Tipsy Tow program will be available to drunk drivers from 6 p.m. Saturday until 11:59 p.m. Monday to the 13 counties served by the Auto Club.
Motorists, bartenders, restaurant managers, party hosts or passengers of a drinking driver can call (800) 400-4AAA for a free tow to the driver’s home of up to seven miles away. Callers should tell operators they want a Tipsy Tow, and a tow truck under contract to the Auto Club will be dispatched.
The service does not include rides for passengers and is restricted a one-way, one-time ride for the driver. Beyond seven miles, drivers will be expected to pay the normal rate charged by the tow truck operator.
“Drivers should be aware of the high crash risk from drinking and driving associated with holidays and we encourage them not to get behind the wheel if they’ve been drinking,” according to Auto Club senior researcher Steve Bloch.
The Auto Club says a first-time drunken driving conviction can cost $12,176 or more in
fines, penalties, restitution, legal fees and increased insurance costs.
The Auto Club suggested:
- designating a non-drinking driver who can get everyone home safely
- calling a friend or family member for a ride home if you have been drinking
- keeping a taxi company number in your wallet so you can call for a ride home
- as a party host, offer non-alcoholic drinks and provide a gift to guests who volunteer to be designated drivers and
- take keys away from friends and relatives who have had too much to drink.
(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)