Couple Held On Murder Charges Marries In Jail

SANTA ANA (CBS) — The bride wore a jailhouse jumpsuit, the groom wore a jail-issued sweater. In the first of its kind that anyone can remember, two inmates at the Orange County jail got married on Monday.

Iftekhar Murtaza, 26, and Marissa Star Bilotti, 20, each face murder charges in unrelated cases.

They were separated by a chain-link fence during the ceremony, unable to touch or kiss one another.

Murtaza is charged with abducting the father and sister of his ex-girlfriend, beating them to death, and setting their bodies on fire in 2007.

Bilotti was charged last year with helping a former boyfriend commit murder.

The pair’s relationship unfolded when they began writing each other while incarcerated. A jail pastor married the couple in a visitors’ room at the jail.

If convicted, each face the death penalty.

(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press contributed to this report. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Shiggity42 says:

Congrats!

2. Dean says:

What a crock of BS, the judge that allowed this should be removed from the bench and disbarred.

3. Steve A says:

Please, please, please Warden, I’m Beggin’ you, DON’T LET THEM BREED !!!

4. Kate says:

WRITING CORRECTION; The last sentence suggests that the pastor was wearing the couple’s jail uniforms. This is a funny image, but the sentence would have benefited by the use of the words “while they,” as in, “while they were wearing their jail uniforms.” When it comes to the law, one can’t be too careful about language..

5. Neo Poe says:

Could things be any more ‘moronic’ than this? These two wayward souls are facing possibly very long terms in prison; but they feel the ‘need’ to get married! I think I would be more worried about; first things first!. . . is getting married right now really more important than trying to gain my freedom back? I don’t think so. . .but ain’t love grand???????

6. wgdcpa says:

How sweet!

Where will the couple be honeymooning?

7. ArmyStud says:

They kill people take a life and get married….. I am GAY I pay Taxes have a good job, never EVER been in trouble Served in the Army etc..and I cant even get married because I am GAY this is not right….