Police: Husband Kills Wife In Sherman Oaks Murder-Suicide

SHERMAN OAKS (CBS) — Authorities are investigating an apparent murder-suicide after two bodies were discovered Wednesday evening in the driveway of a Sherman Oaks home.

Los Angeles police said the bodies were found in front of a home in the 15000 block of Sherview Place, east of Woodcliff Road.

Authorities say the bodies were that of Dr. Alex Michaelson, 39, and his wife, Vera Michaelson, 32, who was a recent graduate from dental school in Florida, where KNX 1070’s Pete Demetriou reports investigators will also try to get more insight into a possible motive.

“We’ve been working on this since last night, and we’re going to keep talking to more people, starting with some people in Florida,” said Detective Peter Barba with the Van Nuys homicide division.

Dr. Michaelson was an Internist who had a practice in Tarzana.

Police believe the murder-suicide occured sometime between 11 a.m. and noon Wednesday after neighbors reported hearing shots.

The couple was found with a handgun between them, authorities said. Police said Dr. Michaelson shot his wife in the head twice before turning the gun on himself.

Authorities say no note was left and are interviewing family members as they try to determine what led to the murder-suicide.

The couple had two young girls, ages five and seven, who are now staying with family members.

Comments

1. ed barreto says:

Why isn’t the wife referred to as “Dr” as well? She’s a dentist.

1. puro pedo says:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Hopefully, they will write Dr. for the wife on her tombstone!!!!!

1. HMCS says:

puro pedro
        Grow the f@@k up moron.

2. Duh! says:

No where does it say that she is a doctor. She may be a dental hygienist. All we know is she went to dental school, but not what she studied.

2. sampson says:

she probably called him at work to say she found out about his cheating and he rushed home because his life was over, not wanting to face what he’d done and the shame and consequences, he just ended it all, not even thinking about their poor kids.

1. Yan Tkachenko says:

he is not that type of person, he was the most loving dad i knew. Obviously something majorly went wrong but that is still not a reason to call him a murderer, because if you met him and know him for 8 years, you would know that he would never do such a thing and that he was the most loving man I knew. He worked major overtime to provide for his kids and for all of his wife’s expenses for dental school,cars.houses etc. so what the press makes up is not necessarily true and nearly doesn’t include all the good things he did. Great husband and a remarkable friend. All of us friends,patients, and family will all extremely miss them. And may I ask for Alex and Vera to Rest in peace. We will always remember the good Alex has done because there is far more good than bad. We are all devastated and wish both of them in holy matrimony to RIP.

3. qwerty24 says:

Typical #%*@$ing selfish coward. Have some respect for your children and do yourself in only next time.

1. For the selfish dumb B!t*H says:

how do you know. YOU are the typical #%*@$ing selfish coward. How do you know the press is even saying the truth. Think before you post something up like that. I am very close friends with dr.michaelson and that is a very selfish knowing what the press is saying and comparing it to the truth. So think before you speak and i hope you remember this because disregard me knowing anything, you dont know the truth yourself and never will, this is the press(news) they will never tell the truth of everything. What you are doing is hearing something like the news and judging a person without knowing the cold hard truth

4. haywoodjiblowmi says:

…..or the flip-side he found out wife was cheating (maybe with fellow student) and he found out and couldn’t take it.

5. Wx Foo Jamas says:

OMG that is so sad. What drives a person to such insanity? I dont get it.

6. Mexicans are Dirtbags says:

To bad these two were not Hispanics.

1. MK says:

and if they were???

2. Zen says:

The person who posted this under the
      name” —- are dirtbags” is a coward
      One day you will find that people who hate
      become what they hate
      It is true of the holocaust victim Jews
      who now are oppressors of the Palestinians.
      Even Hitler it seems did not escape Karma, as its been found his lineage had African Berber, Jewish DNA
      Wake up acknowledge your faults and learn to love

7. Natalie says:

It is truly sad that amist this tragedy some of you are making such ignorant comments! You should be ashamed!

8. think next time says:

9. qwerty24 says:

Okay “think”! I’ll just go ahead and assume what they’re telling is the truth. And when this is validated I will remind of his selfish and cowardly act. And remember, it’s the press reporting the police’s account.

10. Paloma says:

Dr: Michaelson was a kind,good Doctor, he will be missed by his patients and those that knew him.

11. Stew says:

I just heard this evening about Dr. Michaelson. I am so sorry for the great loss to all of the physicians and healthcare professionals at Providence Tarzana Hospital and the community who loved this young, kind, sweet, caring, intelligent, very dedicated man and wonderful physician. My heart goes out to the friends and loved ones of Dr. Michaelson and his wife.

I am deeply shocked and profoundly saddened by the sudden, unexpected, and senseless loss to him and his wife. I pray for their two young children. I am stunned, and it feels so unreal to me, like a terrible nightmare.

I just saw and spoke to him when he took care of my mother last week. He was always there to provide competent, caring medical treatment to my mother and father. He saved their lives many times over. He was very kind and respectful to me and would always take the time to talk to me about my parents’ conditions and treatment plans. He also would acknowledge and appreciate me for the caregiving services I’ve provided my aging parents over the years.

I am profoundly sad and will miss him very much. My mom will too.

I am grateful and appreciative for Dr. Michaelson’s genuine compassion and goodness to my parents and me. May G-d bless Dr. Michaelson, his wife, Vera, with eternal peace. And may their parents, children, and loved ones, whose grief is difficult to imagine, find some comfort in the knowledge that Dr. Michaelson’s life and journey, albeit interrupted, had great meaning, great purpose, and great and everlasting value.

12. Adele Zaretsky says:

Dr. Michaelson was the best example of human being. I hope we will know who killed him and his wife!

13. lyudmila averbukh says:

ispoke with alex re:troubles with his wife and also know that she told him that she has another husband for 2 years in florida and he would never kill himself and leave his children without parents, the court will never give the rights to a mother like this and im sure he knew that so it was no reason for him to kill himself- somebody killled them both. All the truth will come out and clear his name.A person like him -smart and carring- he was the only one i could trust with my life-can’ t do something like that. And for all morons outthere like puro pedro-shame on you if you think it’s funny

1. Ida says:

Lyudmila,
      I am very sorry for the lost of your friend and a great doctor everyone adored.

14. Stew says:

Someone using the name “lyudmila averbukh” posted at cbs local dot com and said:

“i spoke with alex re:troubles with his wife and also know that she told him that she has another husband for 2 years in florida and he would never kill himself and leave his children without parents, the court will never give the rights to a mother like this and im sure he knew that so it was no reason for him to kill himself- somebody killled them both.”

This is interesting. Can anyone confirm the statement above about Dr. Alex Michaelson and his wife Vera Michaelson?

15. Mike says:

I am still stunned as to what has happened. I have worked with Dr. Michaelson on and off for the last couple of years in the same building and all I ever saw was a friendly, caring, well-educated man. We may never know the total truth as to what happened or what was going through his mind. May Alex and Vera RIP. For all of those people out there, don’t always believe what you hear until the facts have been confirmed; otherwise you are just assuming and everyone knows what that means…..

16. Brickwork wall designs says:

The most obvious component of a constructing is actually their brickwork. The size, shade and consistency in the stones alongside the mortar colour along with shared end will mix to offer any …Driveway london