Los Angeles Named Third ‘Dirtiest’ City In America

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Can clean be overrated? America’s dirtiest cities happen to include some very popular tourist destinations.

According to an annual survey in Travel + Leisure magazine, Los Angeles has been dubbed the third dirtiest city in America. Visitors gauged “dirty” in a variety of ways: litter, air pollution, even the taste of local tap water.

The American Lung Association also released an annual State of the Air report, listing cities with the least (and most) pollution. Los Angeles fared poorly again this year.

The City of Angel’s infamous reputation for smog is tough to shake. Voters also put traffic-clogged Los Angeles in last place for being pedestrian-friendly and in the bottom three for overall quality of life.

However, Los Angeles scored higher than Philadelphia and New Orleans, which took the top two “dirty” spots.

Comments

1. Julian B Duron says:

How can a city with the one the largest population of people on government assistance have a city this dirty? Between the unemployed and people on welfare; why can’t a workfare program be put in place to clean this city up? Or is this an unpopular question? Or did I offend any Obama voters that voted for more FREE SH%T!

2. Joe Mama says:

My thoughts exactly- it ain’t no coincidence, ya’ll.

3. amigos says:

4. Chris says:

Lol. But what they failed to mention is that we r one of the top 3 least polluted cities in Mexico. LA is Tijuana Norte.

5. chubbs says:

LA is too vast, and too decrepit, to look “clean”, ever. It’s hard work being #3, let along #1.

6. James Mcgrath says:

thanks to all the crooked politicians, that allowed so many dirty mexicans to turn la into a filthy uneducated greedy tj.

7. Mexilangeles says:

I was on the 4th floor of a large parking structure where it over looks a busy intersection and freeway in heart of Downtown LA – it was the end of the day, and very few cars left, and I know for certain that there were no other people around, above or below me… SECOND HAND SMOKE reached that floor. I double checked up and down, and sure enough, somehow, from the street all the way up to the 4th floor, I smelled second hand cigarette smoke as if I was on the 1st floor street. Utterly amazing.

I looked over at the freeway and to the distance of this supposed great city and rethought that white smog like haze, and it was windy to day up there, and realized, in a moment of EPIPHANY where I realized that POLLUTION wasn’t just motor created but in that rush hour, its millions of smokers smoking cigarettes to “relax” them after their pathetic stress filled day.

If ONLY a scientific study would study just how much second hand smoke or just smoking also contributes, en masse, to the pollution out there. I bet it would be startling.