Long Beach Mother Arrested In Son’s Truancy

LONG BEACH (CBS) — A Long Beach mother faced charges Friday after her son missed more than 50 days of school, according to police.

Ermila Zamora was arrested earlier in the week under a new truancy law that took effect January 1.

Her son attends Washington Middle School. Under the law, students may not have more than 10 percent of unexcused absences in a school year.

Long Beach Unified has a truancy rate of 40-percent.

Police warned that skipping class can often lead to other problems.

“It increases their opportunity to commit crimes, it increases their opportunity to become a victim of crime,” said Long Beach Police Officer Rob Gallagher.

Police said they had met with Zamora on several occasions to discuss her son’s truancy.

She was released on $10,000 bail. If convicted she could spend up to a year in jail, and pay a $2,000 fine.

» RELATED STORY: Truancy Crackdown Lands OC Parents In Jail

Comments

1. Just a Thought says:

Good! It’s about DARN time parents were held accountable for the actions and behaviors odlf their kids!!! Bravo!!! Unless there is a serious medical condition, there is no resson for a child to miss more than 10 days in a school year.

1. lori says:

I agree. I make sure my kid is in school and he knows what will happen if he isn’t.

2. Chrystal Gay says:

You know what is sad? It’s virtually impossible to skip school there if this mother actually took the time to drop the child off at the gate. There’s only 2 ways in and the kids are checked in. She didn’t try nor did she make the effort. SMH

3. Chrystal Gay says:

It’s in Long Beach first of all. Secondly, we aren’t paying for this. In fact, the mother actually saved the state money for education since she didn’t send her son to school. Lastly, if she was illegal she wouldn’t be released on bail as she would have had an immigration hold. Does that straighten out all of your racist hateful comments?
    In case you want to further spread the hate, I’ll make it clear, I’m white and I don’t appreciate any form of racism nor hatred for any race. Zamora factually is a surname that derived from Spain therefore this mother could be from anywhere in the Latin Americas and partially Jewish for that matter. Not every human with brown skin is a “Mexican.” To be “Mexican” one would have to be from Mexico which also includes people of many colors as there are also albinos and people with darker skin from all of these areas.

1. Larry says:

so ms. Chrystal, when are you running for president? i like you ; ) we need more people like you.

1. Chrystal Gay says:

Thank you for the compliment Larry!! I actually choose to make the long drive to have my child attend this school for the wonderful education and to learn tolerance. Which after reading some these replies, let’s me know I have much work to do. I actually am an a VIP (Volunteer) at this school as well as their PTO President and I sit on the School Site Council. Yes, I’m the “white” woman fighting for the rights of minorities and trying to further educate everyone!
        Not running for President, yet. LOL Let’s start off with the Board of Education or Superintendent of LBSUD first.😉 I’m very passionate and serious about our future.

4. ddane says:

Right On Chrystal!!

1. Chrystal Gay says:

Thank you! I must stop the hate and stereotypes!😉

5. ame says:

@ Chrystal Gay, very well said!!! I applaud you!!

6. a.m. says:

I totally agree with you. There are too many times when people misjudge others because of their skin color or even a name. I am glad that there are nonignorant persons like you who are doing the opposite. I thank you and hope you continue helping children by being a VIP.

7. Ron says:

You want to further education for everyone Ms. Gay? Move to Mexico/South America immediately. With your passion — You could easily be President over there.

8. princesspandameatball says:

i blame the parents the parents are always the one to blame !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    its their fault !!!