New Auto Safety Report Finds SUVs Safer Than Small Cars

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Drivers of newer SUV models are more likely to survive a crash, according to a new report from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The report out Thursday found that SUVs, model years 2005 to 2008, have about half the crash fatality rates as smaller vehicles.

Driver death rates were found to be the lowest in the Ford Edge, Nissan Armada, Land Rover Range Rover Sport and the Land Rover LR-3.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety credits required installation of electronic stability control systems in newer SUV’s.

“We think that electronic stability control is certainly a primary factor. Many SUV’s have also been redesigned to make them less likely to be tippy,” said researcher Anne McCartt of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The Institute’s report also found that drivers of smaller cars, like the Nissan 350-Z two door and the Chevy Aveo and Cobalt, have the highest death rates.

Among all the vehicles tested, minivans had the lowest driver fatality rate, according to the report.

For a complete list of the ratings, visit the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety online.

Comments

1. mojo says:

why this story now? To increase use of gasoline and raise prices again no doubtr

2. Everyday Guy says:

There is nothing like a Chevy Tahoe with a big V-8.

3. TT says:

Im sorry – I dont mean to cynical — but common sense would tell you without reasearch that SUV’s are bigger than cars, and why did they single out chevy and nissan? didnt mention toyota…. – tippy or not …. 2+2 = 4

4. Witchywomin says:

Everyday Guy,

I agree, I own a ’02 tahoe and my hubby owns a ’99 suburban. I love both cars, knowing I can go over snow and just about anything. I feel safer in both of them than in a pi** a** car. These new suvs and cars do not have anything, no substance. I have seen more accidents where an suv comes out with minimal damage and the ant size car gets crushed. It ends up in a ditch somewhere. When it snows and things are not plowed yet, i make my own damn path and everyone looks at me weird. Why own a suv if it is not used as they were meant to be??

5. Duh! says:

Smart car = rolling coffin

Imagine an accident between a Suburban and a Smart Car. Ok, for the Suburban it is just a rather large speed bump.

6. TT says:

ok so im not the only one that feels this way… Thanks for speaking up🙂