‘California Roll’ Crackdown Aimed At Boosting State Coffers?

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — When it comes to enforcing traffic violations, more officers are cracking down on what many drivers would call the signature California move: a rolling stop at a red light or stop sign.

But with complaints growing over the rapidly escalating cost of traffic tickets here in California, some critics are accusing state lawmakers of using new traffic laws as a backdoor tax hike to counter a soaring budget deficit.

Running a red light can cost drivers upwards of $480 per violation — a nearly $300 increase over the base fine.

Failure to stop for a pedestrian at a crosswalk is almost as costly as far as the premium goes: the base fine of $35 shoots up to nearly $200 more after penalties and fees.

But are these premiums a legitimate form of deterrence or an attempt to squeeze more money out of the state’s already-strapped drivers?

Jon Coupal, president of the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association told KNX 1070 that taxpayers are becoming increasingly disgruntled over what they see as an excessive focus on technicalities by law enforcement.

“I don’t think anybody would contest the need to deter and fine for DUIs, but these slow-rolling stops and these really overly-technical application of traffic laws, people really resent that,” said Coupal.

According to the state vehicle code, funds collected for moving violations are applied to the county court system and state funds before any remaining amount is credited to the city in which the violation actually occurred.

Comments

1. steve says:

You know what, if you are a good driver and follow the rules of the road, why should there be a problem? Of course, only the folkes who break the law (speeding, running red lights or stop signs, unsafe lane change, etc.) would be complaining about how high the fines are. You don’t like the cost of a ticket, STOP BREAKING THE LAW!! Morons. They should loose their license if they cannot obey the law. I see people everyday breaking the law behind the wheel that almost costs peoples lives and have no moral or care in the world for the other person what so ever. If i get a ticket it’s because i deserve it or proven otherwise. If costs go up, it’s because more and more people are breaking the rules of the road.

1. kimber says:

Could not agree more. If you don’t like the cost of a traffic violation, then don’t violate. You endanger everyone on the road. I have never seen so many Stop signs ignored, and not only that, red lights. You are going to kill someone. And all that nonsense about traffic cameras causing more accidents, bull. People cause accidents, not cameras. Drive safe, you are going to get there if you are safe, you may not get there if you continue breaking traffic laws.

2. Yea 4 Roll -Pay says:

Good News !.. I saw a car blow 4 stop signs on valley vista… a black BMW ran a yellow light on Woodman only to pull into the “Short Stop” hot dog place. I pulled in their myself only to see him pick-up food. I got his lic.plate # in case he broadsided and killed someone running a stop sign.

1. Andranik says:

did you get the vin?

3. caliguy says:

As far as this rolling stop sign ticketing is concerned, yes, I make complete stops at stop signs. However, I’m going to take the unpopular viewpoint here and say that I think that driving needs to be more dangerous so (counter-intuitively) people will be more careful. We have way too many laws here, and to quote Adam Carolla: “If you’re at a red light, and there’s no one coming from either direction, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to go through it, or a red left turn arrow.” Also, speed limits shouldn’t exist, it’s called common sense…. you go with the flow of traffic! I don’t care if my kids are playing in the middle of the street. I WANT cars to to 40 mph in my current 25mph zone. Cars will see kids way ahead of time and slow down temporarily and then speed back up to a proper quick speed. Any other people out there who take the minority view like me? I guess not.

4. Tax Payer says:

Hope they enforce the ‘California Roll’ in San Pedro especially around San Pedro High School these people dropping off their children have Suicidal Tendencies.

5. Somers says:

Al,ost nothing makes me madder than to have to play dodge car with people turning through the crosswalk so close to me that I feel the breeze of their passing!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve gotten down right loud & undignified a few times.

6. Somers says:

Ooops, that should be “almost”

7. steve says:

This isn’t about sushi?

8. Mike says:

The report woke me up. And then I just started watching people at stop signs: dude, there’s a bonanza there! We could probably hold on to the decent teachers being let go with the proceeds.