CBS2/KCAL9 Loses A Friend And Colleague

It is with great sadness that we report the passing of a dear friend and colleague at CBS2/KCAL9.

James Kang, who worked in the technical operations department in our newsroom, passed away suddenly Friday afternoon.

James had a deep passion for photography and would often go out on photo walks with coworkers, taking pictures of scenes all around Southern California.

We will all miss his smiling face and his cheerful personality. James’s legacy will surely live on in the countless lives that he touched and in the photographs that he created.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

James was 42.

Comments

1. Don says:

R.I.P. James….

My heart is heavy hearing about the passing of James Kang. I knew him years ago at Young-Nak Korean Presbyterian church. The James I knew was a kind and gentle soul. He had an open heart and ready smile to greet everyone he met. How tragic that he should leave the circles of this world so soon. So young. So much of life ahead of him. I grieve that he and I lost touch as the paths of our lives diverged all those years ago. He will always live on in my memories of that precious and formative time of my life.

James, those of us who regularly attended Young-Nak during those years will remember you with everlasting warmth and affection. May The Lord open wide the doors to your eternal rest, welcome you home, and embrace you and keep you within his loving arms…

Your YNEM brother,

Don

2. RMVera Photo says:

I never met James, but we tweeted back and forth about music and photography. He always included me in his Follow Fridays and I always made sure to thank him. I will miss him. Thank you Suraya for bringing us together. May James be at peace.

3. Oliver says:

What I find completely disgusting is that they had an advertisement at the beginning of the video…it just goes to show you that money trumps all!

1. Poppy Akaji says:

Dear Sir; T’is Not a Commercial for financial gain but a PSA to aid children.

My Sympathy for the loss of James Kang a great asset to our Community.
      We were indeed Blessed by his presence.

1. dean says:

sadly, oliver is spot on. ACURA???? i now will be sure to add acura to my boycott list – how insensitive.

2. Matt says:

Actually Poppy,
        The ad I saw was for a mortgage company.
        Nothing to do with non-profit or aiding children.

4. Cait says:

James and I have been friends for a short time, after he took pictures of my best friends and I on a beautiful day in September. It was that night, I had a friend request on Facebook from him and our daily correspondence began. He found our from our mutual friend that I was going through some rough times, but he was there for me every minute of every day. He made me smile with the simplest compliments, made me feel like I could go anywhere and do anything, and he accepted me for me. He didn’t care that I was a Giants fan, or a Met fan, or a girl with some boy problems, he was my bright light at the end of my tunnel and put me on a pedestal. Now I myself am going to make sure to make him proud in anyway possible. I may not see the “James Kang Like This” on my facebook page anymore, but I will feel it. James, you made my birthday amazing with your comment. You made me smile, and I thought I wrote you back from my phone but I was wrong. I did respond but it was too late, but YOU made my birthday. You made me feel like a great person, and the part of my heart that you had gained control over will always remain with you. I love you much. Thanks for being my knight in shining armor, I will always be your “babygirl”. Rest in Peace and Fly High…until we meet again! ❤

5. Cuong Phu Trinh says:

James was one of the first people I met and worked alongside with when I worked at CBS from 2005-2008. He was one of the coolest, most composed people I’ve ever met in any work environment. As a foodie, I would seek his input as to where to savor (and capture) the delicious life. Through his time with CBS 2 and KCAL 9 he assumed greater responsibilities and tackled many challenges, but I never saw him stressed in such a fast paced, ever changing media environment. He was always supportive, lent an ear to anyone that needed to share their thoughts and provided his honest two cents when necessary. May James rest in peace.

6. David says:

R.I.P. James. My thoughts and prayers are with you and with your family.

7. paula says:

My prayers go out to the Kang family. James touched many lives, which have been made better as a result of his kindness and caring nature. May he be among angels and with the Lord in heaven.

8. Mike Beloud says:

I met James in 1983 in Photography Class at Eagle Rock High School. He was such a nice kid who grew up to be a very sweet, kind and special man. We recently reconnected thanks to Facebook and had the opportunity to hang out last month and share memories. I will miss James “liking” every single one of my silly facebook posts, Rest in Peace my friend

9. Mike B says:

James,

May you rest in peace. You were one of the kindest individuals with whom I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and working with. We will all miss that genuine magnetic smile of yours. Always staying postive in negative situations..you could surely teach many people many things. I’m sure that everyone who knew you, simply also loved you..I’m sad that I could’nt say this to you in person..my friend..as we will never forget you. May God keep you and bless your soul…

10. bernadette says:

Can someone please post WHY or HOW he died? Why is it not mentioned; it comes off as cryptic. I knew him over 12 years.

1. Kevin says:

Friday afternoon, 42-year-old James Kang who worked in technical operations at KCBS/KCAL in Los Angeles left work complaining of a headache. He was found dead in his car in the station’s parking structure sometime later. Kang’s death was reported on both of the duopoly’s ate local newscasts Friday night.

11. Donuts and smiles from James every morning at CBS2. Wonderful pictures and amazing movie reviews on Facebook. I’ll miss him! Lorraine Roe

12. John S. says:

You were a great friend and probably one of the kindest and most sincere people I have ever known. You had the type of gentle disposition that almost certainly put a smile on people’s faces and made the world a better place! Rest in peace my friend – you will be missed.

13. Lori says:

James was so proud of his work in photojournalism and in the post production department. He was a talent and a model of an employee that KCBS/KCAL should be glad to have had working so diligently for their newsroom. His sudden passing is very tragic to all of us who loved him for the kindest soul to ever walk through the doors at this station. James, you will be missed beyond words, and I am so sorry that our time together is now cut short. May you rest in peace and be surrounded by all the legends that you have always admired. We will all mourn your loss deeply.

14. Steve W. says:

How did he die at only 42??😦

15. andy edmonds says:

James was one of the kindest and most generous people I have had the honor to know. He never had a bad word for or about anyone and always put others before himself. To know him was to be touched by his gentle greatness and he indeed has touched the lives of many coworkers who also call him a friend. It is impossible to think of James without smiling, even in this saddest of times. I miss you, my dear friend. God speed.

16. Sandra says:

RIP James.

17. Captain Kangeroo says:

Going to boycott Acura because their ad is near an obituary. How stupid! A relative of mine died a few years ago. There was a large Ford ad in that newspaper containing the obituary. I guess I should have boycotted Ford. Oh yes, I forgot I boycotted Forf already because they make junk cars! May Dean rest in peace. he was a nice man.

18. stnh says:

So sad. 42 is much too young to pass. My prayers are with his family.

19. Don-in-Torrance says:

What IS the comment posting policy here at CBS2/KCAL9?

MY POST WAS THE FIRST ONE HERE ABOUT JAMES (5-28-11 @ 1:25 A.M.) AND NOW IT IS GONE. DISAPPEARED.

What was the ‘problem’ with it? Was it the language? The content? Was it not “PC” enough for the some over-sensitive idiot?

JAMES WAS MY FRIEND. I WROTE ABOUT HIM FROM MY HEART.

If that ‘bothered’ someone enough to “report” the comment, the person or persons who did that can just GO TO HELL.

I WILL NOT BE SILENCED. I AM REPOSTING MY THOUGHTS ON JAMES. AND, IF IT DISAPPEARS AGAIN, I WILL POST IT AGAIN AND YET AGAIN !

________________________________________________________________

R.I.P. James….

Your YNEM brother,

Don

20. Mike says:

My condolences to the Kang family.

21. Heidi F. says:

Jmaes, You had the sweetest smile and warm, friendly eyes. So innocent, caring, and sincere. You will be missed.

22. GEORGE RODRIGUEZ says:

He was a kind and gentle person, a true friend: a giant amongst mankind. He gave a Cowboys jersey and a shot glass of Dallas. Will miss him come spring training in football.HE CALLED EVEYONE SIR–REST IN PEACE SIR JAMES.