Attorney: Suspect In Bryan Stow Beating Has An Alibi

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — An attorney for 31-year-old Giovanni Ramirez, the only named suspect in the brutal beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow, says his client has an alibi.

Ramirez, who is being held at the Metropolitan Detention Center in downtown Los Angeles on a probation violation, has not yet been formally charged with attacking Stow.

Witnesses will be asked to identify Ramirez in a lineup Wednesday, but attorney Chip Matthews says Ramirez’s daughter will testify that her dad was with her – not at Dodger Stadium on March 31.

“She is a beautiful, smart young lady and she will happily testify about that,” Matthews said. “The believability that she brings to the table will serve him well.”

Meanwhile, an attorney for Bryan Stow’s family has filed a lawsuit against the Los Angeles Dodgers and Frank McCourt, alleging security was insufficient on Opening Day.

They are reportedly asking for $30 million to care for the 42-year-old paramedic and father who now needs around-the-clock care.

Police are still looking for another man wanted in the assault, as well as a woman who allegedly drove a getaway vehicle after the attack.

Comments

1. Stiggy says:

1st – Innocent until proven guilty Suzie. Jeez.
    2nd – “The believability that she brings” How about the truth that she brings? Anyone can make something believable.

1. Everyday Guy says:

Stiggy, your relative is guilty. Accept it.

1. zol says:

everyday guy, PROVE IT u dum fq. please dont be another stupid person

2. Everyday Guy says:

Zol, pick up your leaf blower and get back to work.

3. Villaraigosa is a rat! says:

@Everyday Guy

Is gay everyday

2. bondgirl says:

When it comes to gang members……. NEVER believe them!

2. anapol says:

Is the ‘getaway driver’ going to confirm the story?

1. TT says:

they should cut a deal with her.. to get the other 2

3. looker says:

if this guy is let go, we are left with the embarrassment of lapd again. Beck try doing your job correctly instead of trying to look good in the media.

4. Angie says:

This is ignorance at its best.

1. David J. says:

Thank You Angie..It really is. I can hardly believe the comments here..Sigh!

1. looker says:

sadely thats the society we live in.

5. Anthonyd Smith says:

How many people you exploit and rape to get here, Columbus?

6. KeithS says:

Wow, the only child in the history of mankind who has an exact sense of where she was on a particular date and time almost two months later. Then again, maybe the defense will have her Facebook post saying “OMG! Here it is March 31st at 2PM and I’m just chillin’ with my dad(LOL)”

1. Jeezus says:

best comment Keith S

cause i’ve been following this case every day and couldn’t for the life of me remember where i was or what i was doing that day when it happened. So either this girl watches the news and knew about this case in the first place, or she keeps a diary/calendar of her daily activities. Otherwise there’s no reason she’d have that particular date to reference back to later on. The only reason that fits that she would remember that day is if something significant happened on that day to make her remember that specific day. Maybe as in it was the day daddy got all worked up about something he just did and that’s when everything changed and the daddy was on the run and getting his tattoo changed and whatever else. The law is so warped. The good get punished and the bad get helped.

7. Erika says:

it’s not hard to remember where you were on opening day. But, The little girl was probably in school. Lame ass attorney. Fry his ass.

1. John Q. says:

Game started at 5PM. Scool ends between 2 and 3. Look who’s lame now.

1. John Q. says:

missed an h…should be school

2. Stuart says:

just to let you know, it was a holiday that day and there was no school…

8. Mary Elizabeth says:

Maybe Giovanni Ramirez is innocent – let’s hear what the girl has to say and go from there. Today there will be a line-up so let’s see how that turns out. The Police have been wrong before – and if we are all truthful with ourselves –most gang-bangers do look like one another; Mexican, shaved head, brown eyes and tattoos. As for myself, and I know everyone is innocent until proven guilty, I would believe the police do have the right guy but again, I could be proven wrong and if I am wrong, I will accept that I was wrong. It is natural for a family to protect their own – we are all guilty of this. No one wants to see one of their family members in prison, it’s painful to watch. I hope the truth comes out, guilty or not, so that the Stow family can find closure. (If that’s what you want to call it)

9. JKinLA says:

The amount of hate and racism on this comment thread is absolutely shocking to me. We ALL hope the police have caught the real perpetrator. One does not have to be a racist to hope that the person(s) who perpetrated this crime are identified, captured, prosecuted and punished. Do any of you self-professed Mexico-haters think you are more offended by this heinous crime than I am, or any of us who adhere to the uniquely AMERICAN law of innocent until proven guiilty? None of us knows the facts. None of us knows this man, or his daughter, or the parole agent who tipped the cops, or any of the facts that caused the police to arrest him. I, for one, will wait and see what unfolds before passing judgment on this man. I hope, for all our sakes, that the cops, the prosecutors, this man’s attorney AND the jury (if there is one) all do a solid, honest job in their respective roles. Then, if he is convicted, we can all be assured that justice is served. No one wins if the wrong person is convicted — and the true perps go free.

1. Angie says:

Amen. Nicely said

2. TT says:

Agreed – The only thing that would make this worse is if the wrong man went to prison for a crime he actually didnt commit – another family would be torn apart for nothing and the real bad guys would get the opportunity to do it again…

1. Jorge says:

How would that be “worse?” Clearly this dude belongs in prison, whether he did Stow or not, just by looking at him you know he’s done plenty to deserve to spend the rest of his life in prison.

3. Jeff says:

Maybe people wouldn’t post racist comments if Mexicans would stop gang banging, stealing, coming here illegally, murdering and doing other heinous things.

1. stuart says:

all race gang bang…. not everyone is mexican…….

10. David J. says:

Junior, you’ve no idea of what you are even talking about. Just full of Hate like so many others. California could slip into the sea too. Who says they don’t have evidence? You? How can you be so sure? Do you know something about the case that the rest of us need to know? They are still in the process of gathering evidence. Remember this, they have a # of witnesses and they will remember his face if they see him again..

1. Villaraigosa is a rat! says:

@DavidJ

Witnesses my a**

This will falsely imprison a man for the color of his skin and not his actions

1. Jeezus says:

and you will falsely follow someone because of the color of their skin

2. stnh says:

More than likely they don’t have enough evidence. After all, this little thug’s attorney was the one who was smiling for the cameras tonight, not the D.A.’s office.

11. Core says:

They should let Cleeland high schools magnet program over see the case. CoreBAby

12. junior says:

David j for your information when someone gets arrested on any crime the da’s office has 48hours to formally charge the person with the crime the only reason he is still in custody is over a parole violation if they had all the evidence he would have been charged since monday

1. Karen says:

Or junior, they are waiting to charge all three at the same time OR they have some other reason. I don’t agree that they don’t have evidence. I don’t think they would have announced the arrest if they did not think he did it. It’s too high profile of a case.

2. Angie says:

they do not have to charge him within 48 hours, if they are holding him on other crimes or parole violations. The fact that he is being held for parole violations voids the 48 hour rule, thus, giving the LAPD more time to charge him. If he is released on the parole violation, then the have to charge him or release him. But until a release happens, the LAPD has all the time in the world to collect evidence. If you are going to post, you should know your laws. Sorry guys.The sad thing is, if he did do it, he won’t give up his friends and he will take the butt of the crime alone and they will be harder on him.

1. Karen says:

Why is that sad that he takes the butt of it. He was the most vicious attacker per the police. And thank you for pointing out the law.

2. Thomas says:

Other crimes and parole violations? LOL….I’m sure his daughter will be happy to provide an alibi for those accusations as well.

3. Voice of Reason says:

I don’t think they have all the evidence they need to make the arrest stick. The detectives are hoping he’ll cave and give them a confession to make their case. Otherwise, they would have charged him by now. The only reason he is still in custody is because of the parole violation, which also won’t stand without evidence once he goes to his parole hearing and he will be released. Hasn’t anyone seen how detectives work the cases on “The First 48?”

13. INS says:

Hope this guys is Ramirez is innocent. Why, because its sad
    to see him use a 10 year old to bail him out of this mess and lie for
    him if he is guilty.

14. Karen says:

I am not certain this alibi will fly. Usually the testimony of children is not even considered by a court. I looked in this article to see how she is but it’s not stated. When I heard the story on KNX1070 (CBS News Radio), I got the distinct impression that this child is less than 10 years old.

1. Angie says:

Karen, I guess that came out wrong about the butt of it all. I was mearly truying to say that he should give them all up and they should all be convicted. That is “if” he did it. I am not going to judge him until all facts are in. But I certainly do not think he is innocent in life. They are holding him on parole violations, so he is, in fact, a criminal.

1. Karen says:

I agree with you Angie. I came online to see the result of the lineup. I hope they got at least one of the criminals that beat a man until he was brain dead. I can not stop thinking about the victim’s children. They lost a dad and hopefully their dad will return, good as new, but the reports I hear are not exactly encouraging.

15. Sara says:

I find it hard to believe that if this man is really innocent, no one has come up and proclaimed his innocence. What about his “friends” in those pics that he says prove his innocence? Why haven’t those friends talked to the media to proclaim his innocence????
    I don’t know about you, but if this was my friend, and I was in those pics, and I KNEW for a FACT that he was not at the game, I would definitely be talking to the media about it!!!
    Something smells fishy here!!!!!

16. tyron says:

hey suzie you are a moron

1. Ed Rooney says:

why? she’s right, you dirtbag

2. Tryron's Mom says:

shut up, tyron. You can’t even spell your name right you moron. Suzie is right.

17. Karen says:

The fact that he has parole violations means he is NOT the most upstanding person in the first place.

18. Priscilla says:

Now I know why the police never mentioned any description of his tattoos! That was evidence, and they were afraid the perpetrator would tamper the evidence! I bet they have the right guy!!!

19. Voice of Reason says:

Cops will blame anyone just to close a case and look good before the public. This has happened before with the guy who was accused and arrested of gunning down a woman a few years ago and then had an airtight alibi. He was taped on Larry David’s show “Curb your Enthusiasm” in the audience of a ball game at the same time this shooting allegedly happened. This video proved his innocence and the police were convinced he was the perpetrator and even made a public announcement at a press conference of the arrest as they did in this case.. The cops are known to use scapegoats when they feel the pressure of making an arrest. Wake up people! Cops are just at corrupt as anyone else and are also capable of making mistakes like everyone else. This guy could very well be innocent and have a credible and legitimate alibi.

1. D Dog says:

totally agree. not to mention the pressure they are under to catch these people. it’s sad, but true.

2. Karen says:

Because this is a high profile case, I don’t that is true in this case.

3. A guy that loves all Latinos says:

Hey V o R, great point. Was the random loser in your story some mex gang banger on parole with a bunch of gang tatoos? Because I don’t think this loser would have been able to make it into the audience of curb your enthusiasm, because he looks a little too dangerous.

20. geeM says:

This all smells rotten. Criminals that commited this act don’t need any phony defense from anyone. And bringing a child into it ………
    The lawyer has such a wonderful client. I’m sure he is overjoyed to defend such a fine upstanding pillar of society.

21. D Dog says:

Again a bunch if ignorant people on here talking a lot of trash. Hopefully it’s not because the LAPD looks bad and now they have all this pressure to find these guys. 1st of all, these sketches, that can be anybody. Why has it take so long. Don’t you think their neighbor wouldn’t recognize them. C0-workers, etc. They think maybe the have some criminal who maybe doesn’t know his rights so let’s just blame him and close this case. Another innocent guy in jail and LAPD catches their man.

22. Villaraigosa is a rat! says:

The guy on the left can honestly be my cousin.

1. Mouse says:

Your cousin is on parole with a bunch of gang tatoos, and he beat to death some father of two? You should turn him in and collect the reward money.

1. Villaraigosa is a rat! says:

No one got beat to death.

There is a difference between being in a coma and being dead.

Prayers go out to the Stow family.

23. Villaraigosa is a rat! says:

My cousin better hope that those unpaid parking tickets don’t lead people to believe he’s guilty.

Those two sketches are not great.

People will not be able to I.D. them correctly. They will punish the wrong individual like many cases of rape suspects. Only to be found innocent years later.

1. Everyday Guy says:

You need to go back to mowing my lawn. Joto.

1. ript says:

Everyday Gay,

You seriously need to ease up on your racial comments and consider sticking your head back in your corn hole and leaving it there until after you have had a good bowel movement.

24. BA says:

All of you!! Hush hush!! If I was at opening day they’re would be two punks in comas and Mr Stow would be doing just fine. All those so called witnesses should be arrested for not being good Samaritans. Shame on you for letting it happen. Wusses!!

25. Jeff says:

Bwahahahaha!!! A “beautiful nation of brown skin”. That’s the funniest thing i’ve heard. Yeh, since you brown people have done so well with Mexico. You’re either a complete idiot or in denial at the fact that your people destroy whatever they touch. Go back to Mexico, we’ll gladly let you…moron.

26. Mark says:

Learn to read and write at a second grade level before you post comments.

27. Randy ChanclaMaker says:

You will pay $20 a lb for fruits and vegetables. All restaurants will close, everyone knows brown people are the best cooks. And… you better be a Hockey or Nascar fan. It will be like Arizona

28. Idiot is Guilty says:

All you racists idiots. This guy wasn’t arrested for just any old reason. Grow up. I don’t care what color the P O S is. Criminal dragging his child in this case to testify for him is an admission of guilt to me. Probably has been training her the last couple of weeks what to say.

29. Miikee says:

LAPD sucks They have NOOOO Evidence…They r just trying to put the blame on someone to make them selves Look GOOD….

30. uFools says:

This will be a modern day lynching unless reality cameras have him at Chuck-E-Cheese with his daughter. Otherwise, she should prepare for visits to see her dad on Death Row. And, I don’t mean the record label.

31. baby27 says:

I honesty hope that they catch everyone involved. i was there opening day and i did see Bryan Stow on the floor that night from a distance and i wish i would have seen that Bi**h that drove them away cause i would have followed her. I don’t know how she sleeps at night.

32. Jeezus says:

Too many of you Angelenos as you probably like to be called are criminals. If you harbor criminals knowingly you are a criminal. You support this criminal? He’s a criminal whether he’s the one who hit Stow or not. He’s a criminal so why do you care so much. Cause the bulk of you are criminals too. Probably illegally here and the rest of it. If you have the nerve to say or think that SF fans dont belong in LA or at dodger stadium, then in that case Mexicans dont belong on this earth. Only clean ones. No dirty ones. And they arent the best cooks, they’re just the most abundant cooks. You always throw out the day without a mexican idea as being bad, but we’d all pay that 20 bucks a pound for fruit if it meant we could keep your criminals out of out lives. There are in fact americans who do dirty work as well, ie: dishes and laundry and janitorial services. A day without a mexican is a day of rejoice. I love Americans of mexican heritage and Mexicans in Mexico, but not mexicans in america who are staying past their legal visiting hours.

33. Jeezus says:

Too many of you Angelenos as you probably like to be called are criminals. If you harbor criminals knowingly you are a criminal. You support this criminal? He’s a criminal whether he’s the one who hit Stow or not. He’s a criminal so why do you care so much? Cause the bulk of you are criminals too. Probably illegally here and the rest of it. If you have the nerve to say or think that SF fans dont belong in LA or at dodger stadium, then in that case Mexicans dont belong on this earth. Only clean ones. No dirty ones. And they arent the best cooks, they’re just the most abundant cooks. You always throw out the day without a mexican idea as being bad, but we’d all pay that 20 bucks a pound for fruit if it meant we could keep your criminals out of our lives. There are in fact americans who do dirty work as well, ie: dishes and laundry and janitorial services. A day without a mexican is a day of rejoice. I love Americans of mexican heritage and Mexicans in Mexico, but not mexicans in america who are staying past their legal visiting hours

1. Tom says:

Beautiful, I love your post. you could not have said it any better. you have my full endorsement.

2. Stuart says:

trust me when i say none of Giovanni’s Family and Friends are here illegally…

34. so sad :( says:

I could of sworn I read an early comment about his gf or mom or someone said it was them at Opening Day, not him, or something like that..did any one hear that, or read that anywhere???
    Also, he is a known gang banger…ugh he shouldnt be out anyway, he has done crimes and was never caught im sure.
    So as sure as i am that they have well prepared the little girl, and im sure have scared the little boy to death, that was with them the night this happened, I hope that he is okay…poor baby.😦

Thinking and praying for Bryan and his family❤

35. that's right I said it says:

He’s a low life coward gang banger…good riddens….and just wait for it…hes not here legally..gee im totally shocked!

36. RAIDERFAN says:

Barbarians I tell ya.

37. dammitall says:

Gang bangers are f-ing cowards! man up losers!

38. Jbb says:

Hey Randy C., We got along pretty well for over 150 years with only a handful of Mexicans. How do you account for that? And the best cooks? Do you know of even one high class restaurant with a Mexican cook? Keep living in that fantasy world.

39. What the F..k says:

What the F..k! Alot of KKK members here today……….

40. He's a done deal says:

Check his bank statements. See if he bought anything at around that stadium that day. Also check his cell phone records. See what cell towers his phone was hitting on.

41. Hank says:

execute all cholos

42. Stnh says:

The sad fact is that had this been a Mexican with his brains practically beaten out of his head by a bunch of white guys, you’d have Al Sharpton, the Obama Admin, the ACLU, the US Justice Dept all over this. They would have sent the white guys to prison for life, no question. Now, you have a common little thug with a rap sheet a mile long and his family is lying to defend them. Have we checked these people legal status yet….oops, can’t do that, politically incorrect.

This little a-hole will walk on this, but he has enough other charges to keep his little punk ass behind bars for awhile.

43. OWLET says:

WITH THE MANS TEN YEAR OLD SAYING HE WAS WITH HER, YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT HE TOLD HER TO SAY. ALSO SHE COULD OF BEEN DOWN AT THE GAME WITH HIM. MAYBE THE MOM DROVE THE GET A WAY CAR. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH THE STOW FAMILY.
    ALSO IF THE SUSPECT IS GUILTY, PRAYERS ARE WITH HIS FAMILY ALSO, IT WILL TEAR THEM APART.

44. YeahRight! says:

IF I recall correctly, after the attack occured, the reports stated police were looking for two men, a female driver AND a child (who was also seen in the car at the time). AND didn’t they also state that child looked to be about the age of 9 or 10 yrs old???? Hmmmmm, sounds to me like the little girl was with him at the time, BUT told to lie of the true whereabouts!

45. Remember... says:

46. Bully says:

I just wish for one day all these racist people on here (if you live anywhere in LA county) would walk around showing how racist you are. Rather than doing it behind a computer. Probably been bullied all you lives and feel so powerful now living half your lives on the internet. Can’t speak your mind in person so you cowardly hide behind a computer?

1. THE TRUTH says:

yea that is very thruth most of these people are some scary white foks who love to talk smack behind a computer its ok tho…..scary ass people

1. Jeezus says:

if you guys give me a location i will say it to your face-why would we say it here and not to your face-you dont think i’m dying to get that opportunity? your idea of a fair fight is you and your crew vs one helpless individual. saying it to your face means saying it to all of the ignorant brown people. one on one even a cuple of you vs me is fine by me. charlie sheen =bring it.

you guys harbor and support criminals as if you yourself are a criminal.

2. Jeezus says:

give me your address homie

I’m from SF in LA these days and would love to meet up

47. Timothy McGarry says:

Well, I’m sorry but I think this guy was one of them. His Mother was on the TV news telling reporters what a good boy he is and sobbing. Meanwhile, he has a rap sheet that’s as long as Billy Gibbons’ beard.

48. to live and die in LA says:

Of course he’s guilty; he’s latino and tattooed! lol most of yous that’re leaving comments on here have children, and that is sad.

49. 1muley1 says:

iF THERE ARE WITNESSES WHO CAN IDENTIFY THE SO CALLED ATTACKER, WHY DID THEY NOT STOP THE ATTACK AS IT WAS HAPPENING? Hmmmm?

50. Danielle says:

Of course his daughter will verify his alibi or he’ll kick her ass too!

51. Reno says:

Hey drink n drive your name alone says that you are an idiot. An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

52. S. WALKER says:

how about if he is innocent like 30% of the people in jail….. idk but its funny how a lot of u WHITE TRASH discriminate agains other people on there looks… they should also show how the dodgers fans also get beaten in san francisco games and thats reality……it dont matter i dont care for bryan or this guy…..

53. STANLEY D says:

F…K ALL THESE KKK MEMBERS LEAVING MESSAGES GO CLEAN U TRAILERS HA HA HA WHITE TRASH

54. Lou says:

Mexicans mothers lie steal cheat for their kids, it’s their culture to lie, same as 15-30 living in a single dwellimg with 2 pitbulls.

1. SCARY WHITE TRASH says:

and your point is trailer trash

55. Whet Bakk says:

I makey the mexican tacos, I put in the chili and pepper. I cook them and stir them and fold them, and then I eat them for supper.