Professor: LA County ‘Ground Zero’ For Dwindling Child Population

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — A mass exodus of young children is underway in the Southland, a trend one researcher warns could lead to a critical shortage of workers in the future.

KNX 1070’s Jon Baird reports that’s the grim assessment of recent census data from University of Southern California professor Dowell Myers.

Myers — who calls Los Angeles County the “Ground Zero” of the shrinking child population – said on Tuesday there were already signs that school districts were losing children, but nowhere near these numbers.

“Los Angeles lost a quarter-million kids under age ten in the last decade,” said Myers.

The professor at USC’s School of Policy Planning and development says census data indicate young parents likely took their kids out-of-state due to the high costs of housing and a sputtering economy.

And while some may cheer the drop as a way to speed up rush-hour traffic on the 405 freeway, Myers warns the county as a whole suffers from such a population shift.

“We know we’ve also got an aging population that’s going to retire,” said Myers.

Comments

1. rjsmitty says:

I call BS !

1. Lexus says:

Whoa, whoa, get out the way with that good inofrmaiotn.

2. Marco says:

I call ditto !!!

3. Edward says:

Calling this, or anything “Ground Zero” is appalling and borderline offensive, and buries any actual argument the professor may have been wanting to make.

1. JKinLA says:

You got me curious about the term “Ground Zero,” so I did a google search. According to Wikipedia (I did not do my own fact-checking), the term originated to identify the strike point of the U.S. atomic bomb on Hiroshhima. That the term originated from our bombing of another country and not, apparently, from al-Qaeda’s attacks on us does not make it more or less offensive, but I thought it interesting that the appalling behavior that gave rise to the term was our own. I am not personally offended by the casual use of the term, but for some reason I am offended by nick-naming the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, as the “9-11” attacks, or simply “9-11.” A catchy name kind of desensitizes the event, to me. So, I guess, to each his/her own.

4. Kim says:

People moving to find a better life for their children somewhere else doesn’t sound like a bad thing. And since unemployment is still around 13% in LA, I don’t think we need to worry about having a shortage of workers just yet. When more jobs open up, people will come back.

5. JoshuaB says:

The problem is Prop 13. All the old people who have been grandfathered in to low taxes have no incentive to move so keep prices high. young families move out to find more affordable places to live. Then the old people need more serivices, even though they pay less taxes, so taxes are raised on young families and the cycle continues.

Prop 13 is the devil!

6. Nicholas Abbitt says:

Hah!… BS!
    I wish this was true.

7. rob says:

this is great news, families are being ruined here in LA and So Cal, your better off raising your kids in a better city, not LA where you can go to a dodger game without getting a coma, cant go to an amusement park without seeing all of the trash: bangers and beans, and people in general are A holes here, take your kids and raise them in a meaningful society, LA is not it.

8. Julian B Duron says:

I will be leaving California to retire in Oregon this year. The land of no sales tax, property tax ½ of California’s and homes at ½ of median price home in California. I will do every possible to talk my adult children and grandchildren to come to Oregon also. California’s tax and spend politicians (liberals) of California state assembly are running businesses along with jobs out of California and taxing remaining legal citizens to death. As the bumper sticker says: Go to work millions on welfare are depending you!