Forget Coffee, Switch To Drinking Tea!

It’s Time For Tea!

On the heels of the Royal Wedding, I thought a blog about tea was appropriate.

Here is a challenge for you: For the next week, completely give up coffee and drink tea instead.

How many gasps did I just hear?

You can start by drinking organic black tea for the first two days as it has the most caffeine. Then switch over to organic green and white teas. Eventually decaf and herbal teas.

I noticed a dramatic, positive change when I switched from coffee to tea….including more energy (less jittery), and clearer skin. And green tea has so many health benefits. It’s full of antioxidants called catechins, which have an anti-inflammatory effect. In the book, “Green Tea” by Nadine Taylor, M.S., R.D., there is powerful proof that green and white tea can do anything from boost your immune system, to slowing the aging process, as well as preventing cancer and heart disease, among many other things.

“Green tea can’t prevent every cancer, but it’s the cheapest and most practical method for cancer prevention available to the general public.” -Hirota Fujiki, Chemist, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan

And we haven’t even begun to cover the benefits of all the different kinds of herbal teas for everyday remedies there are. Not to mention the tasty selection of flavors to boot! I prefer a cup of green tea in the morning to get me going, white tea with lavender during the day, a cup of organic mint tea after dinner as it helps settle the stomach. And at night, chamomile tea to relax.

If you already have some favorite teas and/or noticed a change from tea, please share your experience below. If you plan on “switching over”, let me know how it goes. Good luck!

“While there’s tea, there’s hope.” -Sir Arthur Pinero

Want to read more on this topic? I recommend: Green Tea By Nadine Taylor, M.S., R.D.

More from Jackie Johnson
Comments

1. greg says:

Uh, no.

Jog on.

2. Rob E. says:

I don’t drink coffee, but do drink my fair share of soda. Last week I bought myself a little teapot and loose tea for work. I’m drinking that instead of soda and I feel so much better.

1. Jackie Johnson says:

Thats great! Proud of you. Keep it up! JJ

3. Rob says:

Your tips are on the money! I’ve become vegan–ish lately and drink 2-3 cups of Macha Green Tea daily. I’ve gotten more ripped, skin is glowing and my stamina/energy is a 10.

Glad you are helping start this IMPORTANT conversation!

Our society needs a major wake up call…..

4. Greg says:

I totally agree with you Jackie Johnson! Drinking green tea might be the single most healthy thing a person can do to take care of their body, mind and soul. Thank you for taking such an important stand on this topic.

5. Joseph says:

Tea with lemon when your sick,also iced teas on hot days. Sun tea is popular and now with all these flavors, there has to be a tea for everybody! Coffee Became trendy in the 70s, tea has been around for thousands of years.

6. Miguel B. says:

I…I…love your reports on the forecast and your blogs….but, I just can’t give up my coffee. How do i say no to a precious, old friend?

7. Dr. Flight says:

Coffee is definitely a NO for me! But so is alcohol, tea and pretty much every drink but water. As a runner, I try to consume the most efficient foods possible. Basically, those that give me the highest nutrient/calorie ratio. Orange juice is good, but an orange is much better. Apples, strawberries, cranberries and other fruit juices are also good, but the fruit is much better! Eight ounces of pure orange juice has 112 calories with 21 grams of sugar and no fiber. That’s twice as much sugar as a typical bowl of cold cereal and with no fiber. An orange has 62 calories (half the calories) with only 12 grams of sugar and 3 grams of fiber. So, I drink water when I’m thirsty and eat food when I’m hungry. I’ve also noticed that drinking foods makes me hungrier, while eating whole foods tends to curb my appetite. By the way, I am not a vegan but I eat very little meat and it’s usually fish or chicken.

8. John says:

What about black tea? Trader Joe’s has a great Irish black tea. Coffee is losing it’s taste for me.

John