Chaka Khan To Receive Walk Of Fame Star Thursday

HOLLYWOOD (CBS) — Chaka Khan is scheduled to receive the 2,440th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame Thursday.

Khan was born Yvette Marie Stevens on March 23, 1953, in Chicago. She was later given the name Chaka Adunne Aduffe Hoodarhi Karifi by an African shaman and married Indian bassist Hassan Khan in 1970.

She formed the all-female vocal group the Crystalettes when she was just 11 years old and sang for several other groups before joining Rufus.

Her first hit with the group, “Tell Me Something Good,” was written by Stevie Wonder and won a Grammy in 1975 for the best R&B vocal performance by a duo, group or chorus.

Khan’s solo debut album, “Chaka,” was released in 1978 and featured the crossover disco hit, “I’m Every Woman.”

Khan’s other No. 1 singles are “What Cha’ Gonna Do for Me”; “I Feel For You”; “This is My Night”; “Ain’t Nobody”; “Love You All My Lifetime”; “Never Miss the Water”; and “Disrespectful.”

Khan’s most recent album, “Funk This,” was released in 2007 and won her a Grammy for best R&B album.

Comments

1. J_Walker says:

Oh Yeah!!!

1. Carmen Black says:

We love you Chaka

2. Saber 1 says:

Just goes to show you, talent is not mandatory to get a Star on walk of Shame. One hit wonder no career mess.

1. sandra says:

? 10 grammys and u say no talent ? u are talentless.

2. eric says:

Another queen… I love your music, your style, your intelligence, Ms. Chaka. I hope one day to see you (again) in concert. Congratulations. Your music really does inspire a whole new generation, and sustain an older(!) generation! God bless you!

3. Old Chicano says:

Way to go Chaka…..long over due…luv ya since the 80’s

4. ROSS SINGLETARY says:

CHAKA, I AM SO VERY HAPPY 4 YOU. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT SOME OF US FANS FELT YOU ALWAYS DESERVED; NOW THE TIME HAS ARRIVED. CONGRATS, YOU ARE STILL A SINGERS SINGER. CONTINUE MS. CHAKA TO GIVE US GOOD MUSIC. WITH MUCH LOVE I SEND THIS E-MAIL TO A GREAT ARTIST AND A HUMANITARIAN . YOU ARE AN “ANGEL”.

5. Tina says:

One of my favorite singers in pop music……very well deserved. Chaka blends funk, pop and r&B better than anyone out there. Congrats!

6. Joey Coco says:

Chaka is STILL sexy as hell!!!

7. rondilee says:

I love you Chaka Khan, best wishes and kisses always……….

8. Sherry says:

Congratulations Chaka Khan! It is well deserved. Your music has been a great inspiration for me. Much Love and Respect for you:)

9. Benita Wheeler says:

I love her music. It is so soulful and it feeds you with every note.

10. Maurice Kane says:

Chaka Khan has been my favorite Queen of All Music since her career with Rufus. Congratulations to a songstress of the first order for receiving the much-deserved acknowledgment in perpetuity of a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

11. China says:

You are an original DIVA! Claim your well deserved spot. Do you think you can let me know when you are gonna be in Atlanta, GA…. I need to feel your vice

12. Nicole B says:

Seriously?

I LOVE Chaka (Rock me Chaka Khan!!!) but… really??? No hating here truly. But who can’t get a walk of fame star these days? Is one of the Kardashians next?

13. Rob M. says:

CHAKA!!!! You may remember singing a backup line on my song ‘Destiny’, recorded in 1999 by Men Out Loud. I just wanted to say CONGRATS, and THANK YOU for lending your amazing pipes to my song, I now have you there with me for posterity! XOXO

14. KIM says:

@Saber1 and just what have you contributed to music history?-NOTHING! Chaka Khan is a music icon -an original with real talent something that is precious and appreciated by her fans and YES im one of them SO THERE! SO TOO BAD IF YOU DONT LIKE IT- GET USED TO IT ,SHE DID IT AND ITS ABOUT TIME! WELL DONE CHAKA KHAN AND KEEP SINGING GREAT SO PEOPLE LIKE SABER1 CAN KEEP MAKING PEOPLE LIKE ME LOVE YOU!

15. Mary says:

Well, it’s about time! Chaka, I have loved your music since high school, and I always will. Congratulations!

16. Mario Bradley says:

Chaka it,s good to have haters trying to bag you lets you know you done something right God keep you and the Lord contenue Bless you Baby.look on you tube check me out Mario31647.