Schwarzenegger Fathered Child With Household Staffer

LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) — Former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and his wife Maria Shriver separated after she learned he fathered a child with a longtime member of their household staff.

The Los Angeles Times reported Shriver moved out of the family’s Brentwood mansion earlier this year, after Schwarzenegger admitted fathering the child.

“After leaving the governor’s office I told my wife about this event which occurred over a decade ago,” Schwarzenegger said Monday night in a statement issued to The Times in response to questions.

“I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.

“I ask that the media respect my wife and children through this extremely difficult time. While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not.”

Hours later, Shriver also released a statement: “This is a painful and heartbreaking time. As a mother, my concern is for the children. I ask for compassion, respect and privacy as my children and I try to rebuild our lives and heal. I will have no further comment.”

KCAL/CBS2 political reporter Dave Bryan told KNX 1070 there had been signs of Schwarzenegger’s infidelity before, but most had presumed the allegations was simply politically motivated.

“You look back on those stories that came out just before the recall election, about the groping charges involving multiple women,” Bryan said. “Nobody took that seriously at the time.”

The name of the former staffer and child was not released to protect their privacy, The Times said. In an interview Monday before Schwarzenegger issued his statement, the former staffer said her then-husband was the child’s father.

Schwarzenegger provided continual financial support for the child, according to The Times.

The staffer told The Times that she voluntarily left her position with the couple earlier this year after reaching her longstanding goal of working for them for two decades.

“I wanted to achieve my 20 years, then I asked to retire,” she told The Times.

The woman told The Times that she received a severance payment and “left on good terms” with Schwarzenegger and Shriver.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. chris says:

what a f up and embaressment to california this guy is…. shame on all of you that voted on him!!!! Its YOUR FAULT!!!!

1. bdj says:

It can’t be our fault. Even if you voted for Arnold, the man is an adult, ( I use the term adult loosely ), and is responsible for his own actions. To bad the voting public did not know about his cheating ways before he was re-elected.

2. RALPH says:

CAN’;T BE HIS! HE HAS NO BALLS. JUST LOOK AT THE WAY HE HANDLED THE TEACHERS AND THE PRISON GUARDS. TOTALLY BALL LESS.

3. ILLEGALS says:

The former Staffer must’ve Love Arnold too much to Lie for him. If she was in it for the Big $$$, she could’ve said it was his kid & forced a huge child support case against him & a really huge mess on his hands..

1. JO says:

But think about it – she’s how old? 40 maybe? She got to retire at a young age, and will probably be paid massive amounts until the kid is at least 18. She’s set for life.

1. Family says:

Yeah, because money is what makes everyone happy. How dumb.

4. Sweets says:

I disagree. He does have balls. Otherwise he wouldn’t have justifiably earned his new nickname, ‘The Impregnator!’

5. zagwee says:

OK we ll that explains the breakup. Dude cheated on his wife, dude is a loser and deserves years of bad karma!

6. upyours says:

Wow, what a total fu#k up loser with no moral compass. In other words a custom made politician. He should join up with that lying sack of sh!t, But+face Brown.

7. Jethrie Smith says:

I remember when he ran for Govenor as a Republican he always professed his high moral standing.Even when women accused him of being a philanderer he denied it and lied. It is obvious that he is a liar, he lied to his wife, kids and the State of California. Looks like he’s just a louse and a weasel and like most Republicans liars that don’t want to pay their bill I.E.Taxes.

So he’s a liar and a cheep ass…aka Ex Govenor

and republicans/tea party members are really just cheap non tax paying liars

1. RALPH says:

REPUBLICANS/DEMOCRATS, THERE ALL THE SAME, JUST REMEMBER CLINTON WHEN HE LIED TO CONGRESS ABOUT MONICA, HE LIED TO THE WHOLE COUNTRY – JUST NOT A WHOLE STATE LIKE THIS BOOB, JUST REMEMBER SHE IS JUST AS RESPONSIBLE AS HIM, SHE KNEW HE WAS MARRIED (THATS A NOBRAINER) SHE GOT WHAT SHE WANTED, MONEY AND LOTS OF IT I’M SURE, AND SHE PROBABLY WRITE A BOOK ABOUT HER LIFE WITH THE MAN AND THE FAMILY AND STILL MAKE MILLIONS. I’M JUST WAITING FOR GLORIA ALLRED TO SHOW UP WITH HER B.S.

1. Karen says:

Gloria Allred did already! I listen to KNX1070 News all day in the office. Allred wants to know everything! She makes me roll my eyes every time she opens her mouth.

2. Karen says:

THE POLITICAL PARTY DOES NOT MATTER. Someone already pointed out Clinton who is a DEMOCRAT. Another DEMOCRAT – Franklin Delano Roosevelt – HAD A MISTRESS LIVING IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

As well, Newt Gingrich, A REPUBLICAN, also cheated on his WIVES (PLURAL).

Party HAS NOTHING to do with it. What a cheap insult.

8. Rick says:

He gave his staff to his staff? What a Schmuck.

9. Sweets says:

I imagine it sounded something like this ‘come on me if you want to live.’

10. California will be part of Mexico by 2025 says:

This will pave the way for ALL the Women Arnold sexually assaulted. So the Sexual Assaults & Groping will prove true when the Women come forward again with lawsuits against him.

it’ld be funny if the Judge orders Arnold to register as a Sex Offender..

11. California will be part of Mexico by 2025 says:

Smart move by Maria to End the Marriage before Arnold’s Assets dwindle into a Sea of Sex Scandals & Lawsuits against him.

12. Arnold Swartzenegger says:

Don’t worry, your checks are in the Mail.

1. Karen says:

Can you spell Schwarzenegger?

13. Mexico Will Sink Under The Ocean! says:

Send Arnold to Mexico!

14. Liberal Patriot says:

I see the anti-liberal media once again struck and took my post down.

15. RALPH says:

I WONDER IF HE SNORING NOW, HE GOT WHAT HE DESERVED, WHAT A JOKE THIS CLOWN ENDED UP BEING FOR WHOLE STATE. DEMS AND REP. ARE ALL LAUGHING AT THIS GUY AND AT OUR STATE IN A WHOLE.

16. Den says:

All dogs liable to get fleas
    what do you all expect?
    Politicians and lawyers are by trade, liars…