3 Nabbed In Raid On Backyard Cockfight In West Valinda

LA PUENTE (CBS/AP) — Authorities say three suspects were arrested during a raid on a backyard cockfight in Los Angeles County that sent about 40 men scattering in all directions.

The raid took place at a home in the 15800 block of Fairgrove Avenue after authorities received a report of the roosters fighting late Saturday night, Sheriff’s Lt. Mark Stevens said.

Stevens told KNX 1070’s Ed Mertz that when deputies arrived, most of the spectators and organizers ran off but three men were caught and detained.

“We grab who we can grab,” Stevens said. “If you are watching you are still breaking the law.”

Frank Hernandez of Rancho Cucamonga, Gamiz Concepcion of Pomona and Eduardo Chaves of La Puente, were cited for being at a cockfight and released. All three men are in their sixties.

Deputies found about 50 roosters, about a dozen of which were dead or dying.

Stevens tells City News Service simply watching a cockfight is illegal. Organizers of cockfights can be prosecuted for felony animal cruelty.

No information was available about the property owner.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Todd says:

Really there are 40 spectators and you only caught 3??? What were the deputies walking while the perps were running. Maybe the Sheriffs Department could try a little harder next time. I know it’s a pain to write a ticket but keep in mind this is Animal Cruelty and it seems to be a trend in Latin Neighborhoods! And i’m sure Frank, Gamiz and Eduardo were all legal citizens and all!!!

1. Saber 1 says:

Typical ILLEGAL ALIENS trying to make our COUNTRY a third world toilet like theirs. I love it, there here doing the jobs Americans won’t do. Open season on #pics.

1. jumper says:

the illegal aliens are the americans do you know your history ????????
        who took what from.

2. Casablanca says:

It is complicate for many people to understand these activities I love animals. I enjoy different ways a the same as many of you. They enjoy watching them fight, in other countries we enjoy the “toreadas” and is not abuse is just entertainment. You make a big deal of it but you can treat people worst then that and it’s just fine. You are sick.

1. Dante says:

You are the sick one . . there should be no pleasure in watching any kind of animal entertainment. The animals are NOT enjoying it that is for sure.

1. BOO! says:

Well said, Dante. How about Casablanca tie some razor sharp talons onto the toes of his boots, as well as his opponent’s, and then let a bunch of dirty, drunk, and useless people pay money to see who wins (dies) in the fight. People are watching so it’s just simple entertainment, right? Should be legal, right? No big deal, right? Casablanca, you are sick.

2. krg says:

I do’t care if you enjoy it. It absolutely IS abuse and you need to go back to your own disgusting country is that’s what you find “entertaining”. You are a sick person and there is NOTHING OK abou tthis.

1. wendy says:

it is abuse but there no need to get offensive about the country, judge the person not the country

3. Gus says:

“The birds that were groomed for fighting were handed over to county animal control officers and were reportedly euthanized.” Well that’s ironic isn’t it. You rescue the birds then kill them because they are too violent. Give me a break, this is a joke.

1. diosdado1001 says:

I am with you. They did not want the birds to kill each other, but it was ok to the control center to kill them.

2. MARIE says:

MORON, THE BIRDS CANT EVER BE AROUND ANOTHER. I BELIEVE THEY ARE HUMANELY EUTHANIZED NOT TORTURED TO DEATH…SOME OF YOU PEOPLE IN HERE ARE REALLY MORONIC

1. Johny Chingas says:

Marie… PLease: “Ya callate, callate que me desesperas…..”!!!!!!

3. Trw says:

You cannot put the birds back with more of their own as they have been trained to fight and would try and kill any bird they came near. It is sad but that is all you can do is to humanely put them to sleep. It is the sicko’s that caused these birds to be this way in the first place that should pay the price.

4. ike fracisco says:

My take on the subject is just follow the law.

5. John Pelligrini says:

Why doesn’t it surprise me that all involved are Latino”s? the sad part , the punishment will be slap on the hand, and the birds will be murdered by authorities.

6. Roberto Manuelo Garcia says:

We have been taught by government to accept Cultural Diversity. So we should really change the laws to accept Cultural Diversity. We should also allow Bullfights to accept Cultural Diversity.

1. MARIE says:

SORRY YOU POS WE ACCEPT CULTURAL DIVERSITY EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES WITH THE SUFFERING OF ANIMALS. AND BULL FIGHTING SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN ANYWHERE. IT’S WAY OUTDATED. JUST LIKE IT USED TO BE OK TO HIT AND SPANK A CHILD WHERE EVER…NOW IT’S NOT…ABUSE IS ABUSE…BOTTOM LINE. YOU WANT BULL FIGHTING, GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY AND ENJOY TORTURING ANIMALS. MOST OF THESE MEN IN HERE ARE HISPANIC COMMENTING ON HOW IT SHOULD BE OK TO TORTURE FOR SPORT…WHY WAS MOST OF THIS GROUP OF PEOPLE NOT TAUGHT ANIMAL COMPASSION?

7. Roberto Manuelo Garcia says:

I take back what I just said. We need to Change Our Government to NOT accept Cultural Diversity. This is an example of why Latinos need to ACCEPT our Cultural when they move here, either legally or illegally. I swear to God, people have lost their minds if you just cannot see this clearly. By the way, in Africa Blacks still sell Blacks into Slavery. In Pakistan, India, etc., families still sell their children into indentured slavery. When to many people of one kind move into an area with a different life style, that is what causes problems. STOP all immigration for 3 years.

8. Brian says:

Ignorance. This is a brutal arcane “sport” as is bull fighting. Both should be banned everywhere. As to euthanizing the birds I am sure they had good reason. They died a much easier death than being slashed to death with razor talons.

9. A. Martinez (28) says:

I have read this story as well as the comments. As a fellow Latino, I am also sickened by they way these poor animals are groomed, and made to fight against their will. These 3 men are all in their sixties, and I can only hope that our future generations also find this form of entertainment sickening, among other things. Please keep in mind that the news tends to report on mostly negative issues, and that there is a great percentage of Latinos (like myself) that are trying to move forward in a positive way. Unfortunately, Latino + positive, doesn’t = ratings.🙂

1. Manu says:

Martinez, I just wanted to say that I appreciate your comment! I’m not Latino, but I know many wonderful Latino people who have had positive effects on my life, and as much as I’m sickened by the actions of those who abuse animals, I’m also shocked and saddened by many of the hateful and racist comments towards Latinos that I’m reading here. Please know that not everyone here feels that way. I have great friends of many different races and nationalities, and although we make look different we’re all human beings. So here’s some love to Latinos and people of all colors and nationalities. I usually don’t comment, but I thought it was very classy that you made an intelligent comment instead of responding with more hateful or ignorant words.

1. A. Martinez says:

Manu – appreciate your response. I feel it is important for all to voice their opinions on all issues. I too tend to mostly read and not comment, but I just couldn’t let the chatter go on without my own two cents. I’m glad to know that you as well as many others feel the same way as I do. I have also taken other steps here within my area where I work (one of the biggest companies in Southern California) to join a few groups that have these types of discussions on a constant basis. Military Veterans, Latino Diversity Group (looking at board member offer), and Environmental Awareness…all areas that i feel strongly about. I encourage you and others to also do something similar at your own capacity to help make real positive change where you can. Again much appreciated and good luck!🙂

10. Borsia Novak says:

Note to sheriffs; less grabbing more shooting.

11. Shirley says:

Perps + killer roosters in the same jail cell – education & end of problem!

12. Don says:

The roosters are just proxies for the owners’ manhood. These guys are too chicken to duke it out themselves to see who is more macho, so they have the chickens to do it for them. What a bunch of wusses!

13. "F"EM AND FED THEM CHICKEN says:

FEED THEM TO THE HOMLESS INSTEAD OF JUST KILLING THEM HECK CHICKEN IS CHICKEN THEY SREREL IT ON EVERY CORNER IN DWN TWN LA

14. Fred says:

Another example of Obama’s god fearing illegals who just want to make a better life for themselves. BS

15. Corinne says:

Horrible for animal control to kill them, for anyone to kill them. It’s as bad as the fighting. No one should eat animals or kill them for any reason.

16. hector says:

it’s a good thing the misses dragged me to the mall today, otherwise i would’ve given my legs quite a workout.

17. swhitS says:

Next there will be lawsuits from the ACLU about how this is their culture and we need to respect it.

18. joe bob says:

Gee, surprise surprise it was all dirty mexicans

19. joe bob says:

dirty mexicans are turnig the US into a 3rd world country. Take a look at a Mexicans house or neighborhood. Always chickens running loose, garbage everywhere, beer cans in the front yard. they made a mess of their own country, now they are coming here and doing the same. Go home Pablo or Jorge or whatever yourt name is and take your lawnmower and blower with you.