Family Holds Vigil For Slain Inglewood Club Owner

LOS ANGELES (CBS) —Family and friends of slain nightclub owner Alonzo Ester held a memorial vigil in his honor Saturday.

A vigil was held at the Dynasty Restaurant and Lounge in Inglewood.

rolls royce murder Family Holds Vigil For Slain Inglewood Club Owner

(credit: CBS)

Ester is believed to have been fatally shot about 2:30 a.m. Friday as he sat in his white 2010 Rolls Royce Phantom in front of his Baldwin Hills home on Hillcrest Drive, police said. He was declared dead at a hospital.

“He was confronted by an individual. The only description that we have at this point is, it was a male African American and he was shot,” Los Angeles police Capt. Vitto Palazzolo said.

Witnesses at the scene said that Ester’s money clip had been emptied and was found on the ground. Ester was known to carry a lot of cash.

The 67-year-old had nine children, many of whom rushed to the home upon hearing the news.

“I got a call from the girlfriend… that my father passed away, he’d been shot outside of his house and that he passed away at the hospital,” his daughter, Kendra, said.

Family and friends described Ester as a self-made businessman who owned the club and numerous apartment buildings.

Detectives say Ester’s murder could have been a targeted hit or a robbery gone wrong.

Anyone with more information is asked to contact police.

Comments

1. James says:

I don’t care what race a person is or where he or she lives, I don’t think it’s wise to drive around in such a flashy car when others are suffering in this city. He has every right to own such a car, and I’m not blaming the vidtim, but I think it creates resentment and ends up setting the person up as a target. Especially for landlords — when you raise the rent on tenants or have to evict someone, I don’t think it’s good to be too flashy in front of tenants or employees. Enjoy your wealth, but enjoy it in a low-profile, non-ostentatious manner. It’s simply much safer.

1. Saber 1 says:

This was a hit. No security on the night he takes a dirt nap? He was in to something that caught up with him. I heard of some intel that organized crime element was involved. He got in bed with the devil.

1. Sita says:

You heard…state the facts please. Otherwise there will be hundreds of I heard stories!

2. Sita says:

If he lived in Beverly Hills; it would have been OK to drive a Rose Phantom. A Beverly Hills Club owner would have had a bodyguard. I feel it’s perfectly fine to drive around in a Rose…just not in certain parts. Godless people are doing some ungodly, desperate things. It is time to repent and and live according to God way of life.

1. James says:

What god would approve of people driving around in $100,000+ cars when over 2 billion people on earth struggle to get by on less than two dollars a day?

3. TAKOVIA says:

JAMES THAT MAN IS A SELF MADE BUSINESSMAN. HE CAN DRIVE WHAT HE WANTS TO DRIVE.. THE POOR MAN NEEDS TO STOP STEALINF AND GET A DAMN JOB… YOU ANT SAYING THIS ABOUT THE RAPPERS /ACTOR AND ACTRESS.

1. Sista says:

@James Just because one man is poor does not mean I don’t reach for my dream. I don’t stop my progress because another man didn’t go after his/her dream. Everybody thats poor is not there because they did not have an opportunity to do better. Bad choices cause some to be where they are at. Bad choices by parents that did not teach a man to get up and get a job. Bad choices, they decided to spend on drugs. Bad choices they decided not to allow their kids to go through growing pains so they could be somthing when they got older. Bad choices, they were taught that welfare was the best way to live..I can go on and on. Mr. Ester gave scholarships, sent children to the boys and girls club. No one deserves some demon to take their life. Again, I would not roll around on a daily basis in this car. But this is a car I shall own in the near future. The God of Abrham, Isaac, and Jacob would approve of someone driving around in such a car. I would love to introduce you to him.

2. Lee says:

It’s sad that people who worked hard for their money are targets for people who want a fast buck. One should not have to dress or ride down when they work hard to get what they want. People kill for far less. I pray the family will find the strength and unity to deal with their grief.

1. Shirley says:

Play informative for me, Mr. ienrntet writer.

3. lOU says:

anyone who lives in LA ARM YOURSELF WITH OPEN CARRY, LEGAL, GUN ON ONE HIP AMMO ON THE OTHER HIP, EVERY GANG BANGER, 1000’S OF THEM ARE ARMED.

4. tyron says:

Rest n peace brother god love you

5. mike says:

just anot
    her dead low life pimp, good for the country

1. Ann says:

what are you talking about ??????? you are assuming

6. Truth says:

The devil is the thief that comes to kill, steal and destroy and he uses whatever human being he can find who is willing to carry out his diabolical plan. Sadly, it happens all the time. Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil and He chooses human beings to carry out His will. Let us pray that the family would be comforted by the Love of God and in God’s mercy may they be avenged of this tragic death.

7. Carolyn says:

He is a person who was created by God. Have the kind of respect that you would want people to have if he were your loved one. Remember that the bible warns us against being judgemental.

8. tasha says:

After reading u guys comments! None of u guys seem 2 don’t know what hell u r talking about. I think y’all typing 2 be typing. 1st off that is not a car he rode around everyday in. He had other cars. Duh! And if he wanted 2 drive around in PHANTOM everyday he could he worked hard for it. Secondly his kids and grandkids read this stuff! I don’t want them 2 see u people who don’t know him slander his name in the mud as if u knew him like that. He was a good man who was providing a good life for his kids and grandkids. U read the news papers and see the news on tv! He sent all of his kids and grandkids 2 priviate schools. It cost 2 do that 4 them. Don’t u guys think a man so giving deserves sumthing nice 4 his self. So what he drove a $300.000.00 car. He worked 4 it. Every dime! MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUISNESS! And if u guys r not going 2 say good things about him don’t comment at all.

9. ann says:

RIP Alonzo, he was a good man, we did some of the furniture for his house and every time he came here he had a smile on his face. will be missed.

10. Tammie Campbell says:

God Bless Mr. Ester. He always had a smile on his face. I had great times at The Dynsaty. I am deeply saddened. This news caused a terrible pain in my heart. No one has a right to take the life that God gives.

11. amiles says:

Mr. Esters was a distant relative of mine. He and my dad were first cousins..there mothers were sisters. I only met him once, that was 3 years ago when I visited L.A. He invited my husband and I out to The Dynasty and he was very cordial. According to my dad, Mr. Esters was always a kind-hearted person.