Inglewood Club Owner Shot To Death In His Rolls Royce

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Police are investigating the murder of a popular supper club owner, who was shot to death as he sat in his $300,000 Rolls Royce in front of his home in Baldwin Hills.

alonzo ester Inglewood Club Owner Shot To Death In His Rolls Royce

Alonzo Ester with an unidentified woman. (credit: CBS)

CBS2/KCAL9’s Dave Lopez identified the victim as 67-year-old Alonzo Ester, the owner of Dynasty Restaurant and Lounge in Inglewood, a popular supper club.

Ester was believed to have been shot about 2:30 a.m. in his driveway on Hillcrest Drive, Los Angeles police Officer Lyle Knight said. Ester was declared dead at a hospital.

A preliminary investigation found that Ester was sitting in his white 2010 Rolls Royce Phantom when another man walked up to the passenger side and shot him twice, Knight said. The gunman fled in a dark-colored sedan.

Witnesses at the scene said that Ester’s money clip had been emptied and was found on the ground. Ester was known to carry a lot of cash.

Ester employed a bodyguard, who goes by “OO,” but he had accompanied another club employee home. “OO” said he only followed Ester home some nights.

KNX 1070’s Ed Mertz reports that the LAPD says Ester had a security camera in his driveway.

Anyone with information which might help the investigation is asked to call police.

Comments

1. Shawn says:

The night the body gaurd does not roll he get’s killed? Huuum I smell a Rat…

2. JD says:

It is really SAD that people find the time to make jokes about sensitive situations. Life is real.

3. TYRON says:

REST IN peace BROTHER

4. MS BLESSFULL says:

MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU HE PUT A CLUB IN THE NEIGHBOR HOOD FOR PEOPLE TO ENJOY THEY SELF AND LOOK HOW HE GET PAID BACK MAY HE REST AND THESE PEOPLE COMMENTS THEY OR IMMATURE

5. R.I.P. says:

Your point would be well taken if you stuck to the need for security without labeling. Do you know the area? This has happened in Beverly Hills. To say Baldwin Hills is adjacent to Inglewood is a stretch. ALso, to simply refer to Inglewood as “hood” is to insult the har dworking people of Inglewood. Have you ever visited North Inglewood, the portion of Inglewood closest to Baldwin Hills. You would be surprised what the average income is.

Rest in Peace Mr. Ester.

The Baldwin Hills population is 78.5% African American within ZIP code 90008.[12] Baldwin Hills is among the wealthiest majority-black communities in the United States. Prior to 1965 and restrictive covenants being eliminated, it was known as “Pill Hill” because a large number of doctors seemed to live there. After African Americans began moving into the area, Baldwin Hills was given nicknames such as the “Golden Ghetto” and the “Black Beverly Hills.”

Baldwin Hills has been home to such celebrities as Ray Charles, Tina Turner, Nancy Wilson, Cal Worthington, Oscar-nominated film director John Singleton, comedian Jimmy Pardo, renowned architect Paul Williams, and the late Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley. Baldwin Hills, like nearby Ladera Heights and View Park -Windsor Hills, has seen a recent influx of white, Asian, and Latino families also drawn to its convenient location, large homes, and historic architecture.

1. Justice says:

Good looking out “RIP”. Educate that fool “security.” Much love to the people of Inglewood, LaDera, View Park and Baldwin Hills… we will get through this as well.
      God bless the Ester family and friends.

2. TopDog says:

Ray Charles, Tina Turner, Nancy Wilson, = WINDSOR HILS

1. Alex says:

Sorry, your confused with View Park which is in Los Angeles County. I used to play in Mr. Charles house as a child and Tina Tuner lived not far away. I lived on Olympiad.

6. KG says:

Stop using “the hood” as an excuse. These are the last days and I party with “Weathy Areas” as well as attended The Dynasty. Night Club owners get killed all the time- read the newspaper- Google and you’ll see how many Non-African American night club owners were killed or robbed. A person who murders doesn’t live on in one zip code. Expand your mind and stop calling where we live the Hood and the Ghetto. Last time I check poor people are in every corner of the earth. I had some of the best times of my life at the Dynasty- Good, hard working people.. The criminals are everywhere. Read a book.

1. T~HEART says:

I HEARD THAT!!!

2. Lilbrick says:

I’m shocked…night club owners get killed all the time? Oh really? So why then do “these” people continue to venture into businesses where they get killed “all the time”?

7. Toni Parhm says:

If you feel for the family, why the hell would you make that comment? Whats the point ,you obviously have no regard for our loss and I wonder how you will feel when you pass away and they say know wonder it didnt happen sooner because you run your damn mouth! ignorance is bliss!

1. Robert Haua says:

Sister Toni, Security thinks he’s a genius. His comment on why it didn’t happen sooner, reflect his IQ.

8. Toni Parhm says:

*@ Security?

1. R.I.P. says:

yeah, my message was @security

9. Marco says:

Didn’t this happen also to the restaurant owner some years back?

Was that case ever solved?

1. Shaen says:

Yes gut that guy that owned M & M’S Killed at his house also and crime was not solved. These are professionals dointg this..

10. Don't Trip says:

Man that was like my grandpa……who ever shot him….you are a low…..what are you getting out of this!!!!!!!!!

11. Joe says:

Who cares what kind of car he was in.

12. Robert Haua says:

Ms. Erin, Who’s the idiot who made the gas comment?

13. Sharon F Hodnett says:

R.I.P, It is sad that a man’s life was taken. last time I saw him was Apr.30th. you will b missed by me. I am speaking 4 myself. I’ve had good memories thanks to Mr Ester (Mr Don Jameson,Miss Betty & Club Dynasty staff) My thoughts and prayers to the family.

14. Sharon F Hodnett says:

I’ve met real good people at Dynasty, remembering a place of themed-filled events. and also their own tributes to people that have passed,

15. taya says:

i agree with you security…sorry for his family

16. aladyskut says:

My prayers are with the family….SMH…it sad that black folks are ignorant all the time. Some of the comments posted are an clear example of why we are called ignorant…people wake up learn what’s appropriate. .we are our biggest enemies

1. Bo says:

@aladyskut.. Black people are not ignorant all the time. Ni%&a’s are ignorant all the time…

17. Terry Robinson says:

Man! That’s very sad for anyone to take another person’s life for any reason! GOD bless Mr. Ester’s family,friends and loved ones! It’s just a shame to hear when these type of incidents happen soo close to you!I’ve never been to the club,but I’ve always heard nothing but good and positive things going on in there! Man! I hope who ever is responsible for this crime,will be brought to justice to the full extent of the law! It’s very sad,shocking and just down right wrong to do this to anyone for whatever reason! May Mr Ester R.I.P.,I never knew him but he was really well liked by many people who I know,that knew him! I know he will be truly missed by many who loved him!

18. real talk says:

Just to be real with yall that’s crying about inglewatts not being the hood… you are in denial. and Baldwin hills… if you can throw a rock and hit the jungles… you’re in the hood. if YOU know the area then you know its a 90% chance it was some young inglewatts slobs that plotted on him and rolled him to the house to rob him for his pocket change. aka gas money. keep it real with yourself. just because a black doctor or a few white or Asian people move somewhere does not make it Beverly hills. I feel for his family and I hope his killers are caught and get what they deserve. A slow painful death.

19. anger loco says:

Hey to everyone. No matter what the reason. This is a life that was taking away. This man was murdered and apparently robbed by someone.
    Rather he was rich or drove a fancy car is not relevant to the fact that he was killed.
    This was a human being and someone family member.
    Stop saying hateful and ignorant things about this man. Keep silly and disrespectful comments to yourself.
    God bless his soul and his family & friends.

R.i.P. (Alonzo Ester)

20. Ray says:

Maybe it’s time to give up on humans. It’s gone on too long. The benefit of the doubt is that humans should know better by now.

21. TopDog says:

I live in Baldwin Hills and have for 40 plus years Poppadoc and this place has gone to the Dogs!!!!! Gang related murder last summer on Don Tapia – 8 Home envasion Robberies in last 3 years – Dope House’s – Meth Ring busted on Don Luis and even Prostittution. Dont speak for this side of the Hill! They let all kinds of Riff Raff move up here. There was a time that everybody up here knew each other now neighbors rarely communicate up here or even say hi to each other

22. TopDog says:

Ive lived up here in Baldwin Hills for 40 plus years attended St. Bernadette’s Catholic School and Church. This place has gone to the Dogs! Why is there a Baldwin Hills Home owners Association and why do we pay them? They dont enforce any of there policies so what are they good for? Theres all kinds of people living up here now its gotten ridiculous. This place is no longer an exclusive place to live1111

23. Rita Long says:

Sorry some people are plain idiots I have a 21 year old daughter that is LaKeisha Page and Olivia Page is younger sister. When you see Keisha tell to call me my name is Rita 323 952 1875. My Condolance goes to you and your family.

24. ANDREA M. HODNETT says:

REST IN PEACE. “IN GOD’S TIME. NOT OURS” THIS POOR EXCUSE AND A WASTE OF SIN CRIMINAL WILL SUFFER BLESSINGS TO THE FAMILY..SHARON F. HODNETT ARE U UNCLE PILLIP’S DAUGHTER HEY COUSIN.

1. sharon hodnett says:

@ Andrea, yes.(cousin). to the family again my most sincere condolenses to the Ester family

25. MAUREEN LOYD says:

THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS TO THE FAMILY

26. A customer says:

Very low of Mr Ester’s killers to follow him home & rob & then KILL this wealthy giving, kind-hearted man. I’m sure he would had reached inside his pocket & given you something. I wonder if his home surveillance shows the Losers that were up to this. I’m sure it was some one that had gone to the Dynasty on several occassions that noticed he kept a large sum of cash on him, if not someone he had to know since they killed him!! SHAME u never can know who your friends are. Envy & Greed

27. Mondezee says:

God bless this man’s soul.. There’s a lot of arrogance and judgement goin’ around. This was his business, his car, his house, and his money. Who cares, this was a human being a brother with a business. Why we hate each other so much. We are our worst enemy, black people. Have some compassion for human life and wish this gentleman and family.. Some of us are not wealth and it can happen to us.. Think about that!! I live in View Park and I like where I live. No where is safe from danger, but death itself..

28. Scooby says:

You are sad

29. AKEMI ONE OF YOUR PARTY GOER says:

GOD BLESS HIM AND HIS FAMILY OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU ALL.

30. gailbenjamin says:

i hope that they get the person or persons who did this some one planned this hit on him but even if not caught they have to pass by the lord and they will answerfor this gob bless the family

31. laneisa says:

alonzo was a great man, i rented his house on 56th street and i really liked him he nicerwas a great and caring person and he helped people when they needed help, he helped me get my car out of the impound and he drove us in his excaliber and he just turned the music up and rode, it was nice, when someone stated the with the typeoo of money he had he should have moved some were nice, well if u knew alonzo like i knew him he did’nt care about that he loved people his kids and he lived his life the way he wanted and thats the alozo i knew. rip alonzo and u will be missed by all.

32. Miss Peaches says:

RIP Mr. Alonzo…. I will never forget your smile….My Prayers to the family.. he was a warm, kind person…very sorry for this loss.

33. Marsha Dixon says:

We are losing focus on what has happened here, a violent and senseless crime against a very special man, my heart goes out to his family, and oh my God his children may God bless you and bring you comfort.

34. Ms.Dee says:

Come on people! this could happen to anyone business owner or not,the crazies are everywhere! lets just reflect on the issue @ hand,R.I.P. Mr. Ester and to his Fam.my deepest sympathy.

35. rhonda says:

RMP THIS IS SO SAD FOR A MAN TO DIE THIS WAY WHAT KIND OF SECURITY THAT PERSON WAS I AM A SECURITY OFFICER AND IAM A FEMALE WITH A GUN IF I WAS HIS SECURITY I WOULD BE RIGHT THERE INTO HE WHEN IN THE HOUSE AND GAVE ME THE OK TO LEAVE I DONT UNDERSTAND THAT SECURITY THAT WAS HIS BOSS REST IN PEACE

36. williams says:

they eyes of the lord are everywhere beholding the evil and the good. and what a man soweth that he also shall reap.he who sheds blood by man shall his own blood be shed.

37. MARVA says:

MARVALOUS

THE ONLY COMMENT I HAVE IS THE KILLER MUST REPENT, ASK JESUS CHRIST TO BE THEIR LORD AND SAVIOR. THEN, WE MUST FORGIVE AS JESUS CHRIST FORGAVE US OF OUR SIN. THE KILLER IS IN BONDAGE,BLINDED, AND IS IN THE DARK. WE MUST PRAY FOR THE KILLER BECAUSE SATAN DOESN’T HAVE VICTORY OVER US. MR. ESTHER WAS MY BROTHER THROUGH OUR FATHER JESUS CHRIST. WE MUST LOVE ONE ANOTHER CHANGE OUR LIVES AND GET CLOSER TO OUR SAVIOR BECAUSE WE DON’T KNOW THE TIME OR DAY JESUS CHRIST WILL COME. KILLER IF YOU DON’T REPENT HELL IS NOT A PLACE YOU WANT TO END UP. THE BIBLE SAYS THEIR WILL BE WAILING, AND SCREAMING FOR EVER AND EVER IN HELL. BROTHERS AND SISTERS I LOVE YOU ALL WE MUST LIVE ACCORDING TO THE WORD AND APPLY IT IN OUR LIFE TO SEE OUR FATHER AND HAVE ETERNAL LIFE. I LOVE YOU ALL

38. Globtrotter says:

My prayers go out to the friends and family of Mr.Esther. Whoever did this you will never have peace in your life. Shame on you R.I.P Mr.Esther.

39. SO REAL says:

SO REAL I WAS ONE OF THOSE WOMEN THAT WAS BEATEN NEARLY TO DEATH BUT SURVIVE TO BE HERE TODAY. THERE WERE TIMES THAT HE BEAT ME FOR UNKNOWN REASONS AND I STILL CANT FIGURE OUT WHY HE BEAT ME SOME TIMES ON TIME HE PICKED ME UP FROM WORK LOOKING VERY PLEASANT AND THE NEXT MINUTE HE WAS BEATING MY FACE LIKE I WAS A PUNCHING BAG. I MOVED SO MUCH MY MOTHER TOLDED ME I NEED TO STOP MOVING BUT I WAS AFRAID THAT HE WOULD CATCH ME AND BEAT ME FOR NO REASON. THER ARE TIMES I HAVE FLASH BACK NOW. THE DAY OF HIS DEATH WAS SAD BECAUSE HE WAS MY FIRST LOVE BUT I ALSO FELT FREE. I DIDN’T HAVE TO RUN ANYMORE. HE PASS BY MY HOUSE I DIDN’T KNOW IT WAS HIM BUT IT WAS HIS ROLLS WITH JEM ON LICENSE PLATE . IF I HAD KNOW IT WAS HIM I WOULD HAVE BEEN RUNNING AGAIN

40. truthhurts says:

Black people would kill their own mama for the right amount of money. Don’t ever do business with them or trust them at all.

Play it safe and stay far far away. Every black guy I know has been jacked by a “friend of a friend” or even by a member of their own families.

41. autoversicherung vergleich adac says:

Arise Shop,director earth himself associate about empty step take mile quiet draw software remove offence other earth apparent hotel plate research contain element ear plate familiar steal wall implication land security success role nobody force planning tall blood surprise entirely concerned subject couple prevent level place decide even heavy century beginning straight overall body facility working admit male play strategy fail health woman mark nevertheless certain industry partly unlikely member cat roof fruit further interesting choose rather extremely die attack likely lack contain worker spring general anything branch handle image quick out brief bad see

42. referencement sites internet says:

I was suggested this web site by way of my cousin. I’m no longer certain whether or not this submit is written by way of him as no one else realize such distinctive about my difficulty. You are incredible! Thanks!