Police: Student Killed, Several Hurt In Hit-And-Run Spree

VENTURA (CBS) — One student is dead and several other people are injured after three separate hit-and-run crashes involving a Hummer in Ventura.

Authorities say 20-year-old Nicholas Haverland was killed when he was struck in the bicycle lane near Mara and Telegraph Wednesday night.

Sky 2 was overhead as detectives towed away a green Hummer that was driven by 49-year-old Satnam Singh.

Singh barricaded himself inside the vehicle outside his home for 20 minutes before he was finally arrested.

Witnesses say Haverland and his friend were headed to Ventura College to take a final examination.

Ventura police say Singh is also responsible for two earlier crashes on the same street. A woman and her 13-year-old daughter were hospitalized with broken bones after he allegedly slammed into their bikes.

A mother, father and their 16-year-old son also complained of injuries after Singh plowed into their pickup truck, according to police.

He has been hospitalized and Ventura County Medical Center after being bit by police dogs.

Authorities are trying to figure out if drugs or alcohol were involved.

Comments

1. i See! says:

Damn illegal immigrants! Send Singh back to Mexico.

1. dake says:

you idi** a****** more citizens are involved in hit and run cases everyday then immigrants…and btw be sure to check where to send yourself based on where your fore fathers or your father came from haha.

2. Bob says:

You’re eyes are so full of hate for Mexicans, Singh is not a Mexican last name, it’s Indian. You don’t see anything but hatred

3. Miriam Sanchez says:

dont you notice the name its not mexican, look @ it right!!!!!! always blaming mexican

4. RJ says:

This guy I’m sure is not Mexican. But you my friend are ignorant. Sighn is not a Mexican sir name. Not every crime in the US is commited by illegal imagrants from Mexico.

5. Den says:

That’s an east indian name from India

2. swhitS says:

What about checking for anti deppressants? They have a history of this kind of thing. ssristories.com

3. Anonymous says:

That was funny. Bob didn’t get it.

On a serious note, more reporting on the background of the driver is warranted.

4. dake says:

damn those hummers…why make a huge metal box that takes 2 times the size of a regular driving lane….maybe thats the reason the reckless driver ran into the bike lane he wasn’t even aware that he is taking so much space on other side of the car..ban those gas guzzler hummers now!!!

5. i See! says:

@Dake and Bob

Sarcasm?

I know he’s not Mexican! Abu Singh worked at the 7-eleven down the street from where I stay.

I was making a point. If you read the stories on here, most people will blame misfortunes on illegal immigrants!

6. Education Rules!! says:

In response to i See! The last name Singh isn’t Hispanic. Check your facts & geography. It actually originates in India.

1. i See! says:

@ Education Rules

Education does rule. Try learning about sarcasm!

7. GABY says:

TO MR. SEE ….FIRST OF ALL THE LAST NAME IS NOT MEXICAN AND SECOND I AM SURE IF YOU CKECK YOUR FAMILY TREE YOU ASS IS ALSO ILLEGAL UNLES YOUR FAMI;Y COMES FROM AN INDIAN TRIBE( WHICH I DOUBT WIT YOU IGNORANCE) THIS IS WHY THE WOLRD IS SO MESSED UP BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU!

8. Kandee43 says:

I think i See was just being sarcastic. Any idiot would know Singh is not a Spanish surname. Oh wait, Maybe he really is that stupid.

9. robert says:

why not say ,”deport him” in this case..?

10. i See! says:

@ Kandee

No stupid people here! However, I think you misspelled your name.
    I take it “Kandee” describes your taste and not your personality.

1. Kandee43 says:

Is that the best you’ve got? You are a sorry soul. I didn’t come here to fight but to point out that we have way to much prejudice in our society. Obviously you don’t feel the same way. One’s ethnicity is not the issue, it’s the crime at hand.

11. Kandee43 says:

Doesn’t matter his ethnicity or nationality a crime was committed and someone died and people were hurt. Let’s not lose focus on what happened here.
    AND biggots come in all colors too. I don’t know i SEE’s ethnicity but I do know prejudice people who are other than WHITE.

12. Thomas Forcade says:

See how tired Americans have become with Mexicans?Im guilty of it also,so im not pointing fingers,just stating the obvious.Everytime i turn around,i see on the news “(insert generic mexican name here)”followed by either a murder,rape,robbery,or some other horrible crime.No,we “white people” are not picking on you.Just so clear how much better the whole country would be if Mexicans were not the majority.Less crime,more jobs,security,more employment opportunities.And no more,”press one for english…”

1. Kandee43 says:

Here’s the problem. There are over 15 Central, South American and Caribbean Countries with people who have spanish surnames Many of those people make their way into Mexico with the purpose of coming to this country, illegal or not. So to assume any person with a spanish surname is automatically Mexican is ridiculous. It’s like saying all people with slanted eyes are Chinese, all people with dark skin are African, all Muslims are terrorist, How ridiculous is that!!!!

13. i See! says:

@ Kandee

I am not here to fight either.
    I am concerned about crime as opposed to race.

Why can’t we all just get along?

14. John T. says:

Just fyi, i See . . . you don’t see! Singh is NOT Mexican. The name Singh is INDIAN.

15. John T. says:

And with a big-ole Hummer, no doubt. My goodness! Godspeed to those who are injured; condolences to the family of the young man who lost his life; justice for the man who caused such a tragedy.

16. puro pedo says:

Did he take Drivers Training in India? Cut this a-holes arms off!!!! Problem solved!!!!

17. joebra says:

There is a very real state of mind on meds and booze that leaves a person unaware of what they are doing. I have done it once and it scared me. I mixed booze at a party with pain meds and blacked out for a couple hours. Some say I was talking, walking and I left. I dont remember driving or how I got home. Ended up on the couch not knowing how. This is a very real effect and is no excuse’ but must be made aware that mixing the two can cause a blackout where you function on “auto pilot”.

18. Habi says:

Abu will get out on bail
    and flee back to Pakistan or India
    They are the worst drivers!

19. BD McGee says:

Let the dude go, he’s just helping to thin the herd.

20. Teufel Wolf says:

Too bad the guy surrendered. It would have been better if he had resisted and been killed by the police.

21. bookie says:

I think i knew the singh dudes son HE IS PUNJABI AND WAS DRUNK I DONT THINK HE SHOULD BE PUT AWAY FOR LIFE….. JUST A FEW YEARSS HE IS NOT A HORRIBLE MAN HE WAS DRUNKK. ALOT OF YOU HAVE GOTTEN DRUNK AND DONE DUMB THINGS IN YOUR LIFE BUT THIS IS ONE MISTAKE HE SADLY CANNOT TAKE BACK.

22. Maddie Trollope says:

So shove that in your pieholee oh yeah im a pott hole and i do drugs and im annoying