DMV To Waive Vehicle License Fees This Summer?

SAN PEDRO (CBS) — If you are required to pay your vehicle license fees in July, or even August, you may be getting a break – at least for now.

An estimated five million Californians won’t initially have to pay those fees this year, and yes, late fees will be waived.

However, Gov. Brown and lawmakers are trying to negotiate a new budget that could include higher license fees to balance the state’s $15 billion budget deficit.

On July 1, the annual fee is set to drop from 1.15 percent of a vehicle’s value to .65 percent, which breaks down to $5 for every $1,000 a car is worth.

A new bill that may come later this summer would not only prevent that from happening, but even increase the cost for drivers across the state.

Comments

1. HOWARD SHORE says:

WHEN I RETURN BACK TO LOS ANGELES FROM BRASIL, I DO NOT THINK THAT I WILL DRIVE ANY MORE.

WHAT FOR?

TO BE RIPPED OFF WITH HIGH GAS PRICES, INSURANCE, VEHICLE LICENSE FEES, ETC.

AND PLUS THE HIGH COST OF THE CAR MAINTENANCE.

THE BUS OR A GOOD BIKE IS A HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER.

THINK ABOUT IT,

HOWARD SHORE
    CULVER CITY, CALIFORNIA

1. Everyday Guy says:

Good. More parking for me.

2. DEMOCRATS ALWAYS WANT TAX says:

Howard,

Good choice, i hope everyone heeds your advice. LESS TRAFFIC JAMS!!

I don’t mind paying more for GAS & FEES if that means LESS TRAFFIC JAMS!!

For people who voted Democrats, yall know they have a history of TAX INCREASES to support WELFARE.

1. bdj says:

If the government does not raise taxes, then the state budget will be slashed another $15 billion dollars. One way we pay more for services, the other way we get less or no services. Democrats, Republicans, they are all the same, just different labels.

3. lisa says:

howard i agree with you i also taking very long vaction going to asuncion paraguay

2. Duh! says:

Thanks to all the people that voted for governor Brown, we now get to pay higher vehicle registration fees.

1. I voted! says:

Your Welcome!

1. Dufus says:

Yes Mike, we know how you voted.

2. bdj says:

3. ILLEGALS says:

Nice, since my License Fee is due in July, i won’t have to pay. And this July Fee is higher than my other Cars/Trucks. But then I’ll make up for it the next few years with higher fees.

As the saying goes, “There’s no free lunch from our Government”.

4. brandon says:

either you are democrat or republican,same thing,cauze this country this is a huge political country,no matter what it will be all fulfill,America is not like before,no more give and take,that is why we are left behind by other nations now.

5. 2+2=? says:

So are the fees going up or down

“On July 1, the annual fee is set to DROP from 1.15 percent of a vehicle’s value to .65 percent, which breaks down to $5 for every $1,000 a car is worth.”

6. Parker says:

Great, just paid mine and got it in the mail!

How is this fair to everyone else whose license fees are NOT due in those two months? We are ALL going to have to pay the higher fees when they come around… so why hurt the State’s coffers by saying those two months won’t have to pay? You’re hurting the coffers first to then hurt everyone more a bit later. I say keep the rates the same, don’t raise the rates and move on…

7. swhitS says:

When will this end? Stop jacking up the taxpayer’s costs and stop all illegals services now. That would save the state and worker 10.5 billion.

8. liz says:

of course, wait til July. just do it now so i can get the break in JUNE. geez

9. john says:

$5 dollars for every $1,000 your car is worth, then what is the value they say my vehicle is worth if I paid 360$ in registration fees?!?!

Sky rocket our gas prices, California has one of the highest gas prices in the US bout 45+ more cents to the gallon.. WHY? Now our registration will sky rocket. Gee now I wonder why no one has any money. The government does not care because there pockets are far deeper than the average person in california. Now I know why a lot of people I know LEFT THE STATE.

Were Falling Apart.

10. Lionel says:

Gray Davis all over again. Way to go Dumbocrats! Wake up people!

1. MJ says:

EXACTLY!

ELECT THE SAME, GET MORE OF THE SAME.

STAY THE COURSE CALIFORNIA.

THIS “BLUE” STATE CONTINUES TO GO DEEPER INTO THE RED.

2. G Brooks says:

Gray Davis LOWERED registration fees. One of the first things Ahnold did was he RESTORED those fees to their previous high upon taking office. Pay attention!

11. HooDatIS? says:

i wasnt going to pay anyway
    im here illegally
    i drive illegally
    and i dont pay for nothing
    unless i use my moms credit card

1. june says:

people like you that dont pay for anything is one of the reasons why california is in trouble, you should be shamed of yourself for saying what you did, your a freeloader go back to where you came from and let your own goverment take care of you, people like you make me sick…

12. James S says:

They need more money to pay the Prison Guards new expensive contract

13. john says:

i think someone will track your IP address down now.

1. Cindy says:

not if he’s not using his cell phone.

14. Johnny says:

It is good to have the fee delay for few months on the vehicle license registration. But, will the law enforcement agencies give you a favor. Will the law enforcement agencies write you a ticket when they see your registration expired?

15. dbd says:

I think what is being done is holding off collecting the DMV fees until the Governor can get the rate hike he wants. Then the people who have had their fees delayed will be charged the new higher rate. No one will go without paying for the vehicle registration.

16. G Brooks says:

dbd beat me to it, and states this information WAY better than the article did.
    The article was VERY confusing.

17. Chris Garner says:

Channel 9, report the news, not the propaganda. The DMV is not sending your car registration now in order to give Gov. Brown more time to RAISE your taxes. THEN, you will get the registration bill. Go online NOW and pay your bill. Save some money, and next time, vote these guys OUT of office. Come on, you news people can do a better job.

18. chuck says:

Mr. Brown is full of lies; DON’T believe him. If he gets this tax increase then he will ask for another next year. After all, the unions own him.

19. Chuck says:

Really!!! Have you ever heard of ip address hiding software?

20. restaurantes para comuniones en valencia says:

Wonderful publish, very informative. I ponder why the other specialists of this sector don’t notice this. You must proceed your writing. I am sure, you have a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & help other users like its helped me. Great job.