Suspect In Synagogue Blast Brought Back To SoCal
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A man suspected of causing an explosion at a Santa Monica synagogue has been ordered held without bond in a Riverside court.
U.S. attorney’s office spokesman Thom Mrozek says Ron Hirsch appeared in court late Friday on a federal charge of unauthorized flight. His arraignment was scheduled for May 23.
Hirsch was arrested in the Cleveland, Ohio, area last week after a rabbi recognized him.
Hirsch, a 60-year-old transient, has been charged by the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office with four felony counts, including possession of a destructive device and explosion with intent to murder. He faces up to life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted.
An FBI affidavit said Hirsch was linked to the explosion by a mailing label on a box of demolition agent.
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)