Off-Duty Officer Killed In Sherman Oaks Car Crash

SHERMAN OAKS (AP) — Authorities say an off-duty Los Angeles police officer died after his pickup truck hit a guardrail on the 101 Freeway.

Lt. Terri Brinkmeyer says the badly injured officer and the seat he was still belted into were found thrown from the truck Saturday after the single-vehicle crash in Sherman Oaks. Brinkmeyer says he died two hours later at a hospital.

The California Highway Patrol said in a statement that the guardrail penetrated the pickup and shoved the officer and his seat out the rear window.

The coroner’s office says the officer was 23-year-old Jose Diance-Cruz of Sylmar, who the LAPD says worked at Southwest Station.

A motorcade of 10 police cars escorted a van carrying Diance-Cruz from the hospital to the coroner.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Comments

1. Shanya Smith says:

wow i knew him.. its soo sad! his poor family.

1. Yesenia S. Zepeda says:

Wow! Really? I’m glad to have a family who really cares about and loves one another. I guess not everyone is blessed as me. I hope thats the same way you react when you lose a wonderful cousin. you’RE JUST A COWARD WHO WON’t even put up his real name you BIG FAT CHICKEN!!!!!!

2. Helen says:

Jose was a great person, inside and out. He was extremely dedicated and set out to achieve his goals at a very young age. My heart goes out to his family and friends because I know you have lost a strong, noble brother and son. RIP Diance

2. Gary says:

Very Sad. RIP Jose

1. Ed Rooney says:

Jose Dunce was a good cop.

3. George says:

sheerah
    You can be little more sensative. Not funny!!
    Great Kid he was he will be missed

4. Joanne says:

Diance was just a wonderful person, very good hearted. Very sad.

5. Tommy says:

@ dumbzone69 … don’t ever call the police…

1. Tommy says:

@Diego .. You two just have to call people names. Pig, Idiot, etc. without even knowing someone. At least you have proven to be idiots. Most cops do a fantastic job. But I doubt either of you would even THANK a POLICE OFFICER for doing his job.

2. Dave says:

@ Diego you not above the law either if you dont like the system then change it and stop your whining you little cry baby.

6. Javier Perez says:

Diance we were friends and you were one of the greatest men i ever met! we sang the opscar myer weinner song together and not even a smirk came out of your lips because you were ready for the police department and you made it ! now God knows why he took you and i hope you take care of us all now!

7. hari says:

sad. pray for his family

8. Bob says:

Dr Ozone the coroners report takes 6 weeks to return to see if any drugs were in the system. Go back to your 7/11 job. And stop making mean comments.

9. Yesenia S. Zepeda says:

I would love to know what your sources are because not even the family has heard from the coroner and as far as I’m concerned coroners don’t just hand out that info.

10. BG says:

For anyone and everyone with negative comments, is that really necessary… obviously Diance has friends and possibly family that are looking at this.. I’m sure if you were to pass away.. whatever the cause may have been you wouldn’t want these things to be said anout you in a place where your friends and family could read it… wheather there were things that could have been done to prevent this or not there is no need to bad mouth the dead… if you want to talk about stupid.. how about the people that are saying all the negative.. would you say that is stupid? there are 2 basic rules that even the simplest of children understand… 1 do unto other as you would have done unto you 2. If you have nothing nice to say then don’t say anything at all…. It’s funny that you can call ALL officers dumb and yet you don’t have the intelligence or common decency to follow those two simple rules… Diance was an amazing man.. however his last moments were spent doesn’t change that fact everytime i saw him he never failed to motivate me as he did with many other individuals

11. Yesenia S. Zepeda says:

WRONG!!!!! DON’T ASSUME because then you make an ASS out of U and ME but in this case its just YOU!!!

12. Yesenia S. Zepeda says:

I want to thank all the people who have come to show their support for our great loss. this only proves how strong we are and how united we can be. For all those who have negative comments, you just didn’t him and that is a shame and loss from your part.

We will forever remember you R.I.P. Jose Diance
    Love you!!!!!

13. amoore says:

you are an amazing young man . . . loved by all and entrusted with our lives, our homes and our families. Love you, Diance. May the Lord protect and defend you; may he always shield you from shame.

14. marco says:

This is my cousin! He was a role mod and a goos cop. We love you. Rip jose diance

15. LCA says:

My heart and prayers go out to the Diance family. Jose was a great young man and he was a great role model to his peers. So please keep your negative comments to yourself. Cuz at this moment a family is grieving the lost of a love one. So have some respect please.

16. David A. Zepeda says:

we will always remeber u no matter what just keep ur head up family we lost a big one no matter he was a gret cousin brother and son no matter when u need it help he was their we love u RIP JOSE CRUZ DIANCE

17. art says:

Code 9 sir, thank you for ur service, my prayers are with ur family.
    For the rest of you the next time your getting beat up, or ur house burglarized or your car jacked I wonder who ur gonna call for help. 911 right so show some respect.

18. max macias says:

A truely great person at heart.. from all ur football brothers and friends we will miss u baby boy!

19. Marco says:

23 years old. Same age as my son. Life was just getting started. Him becoming a police officer at such a young age was already on a career track that some 30 year olds haven’t even started.

My condolences to the family, but at least he was able to have accomplished one of his dreams at a very early age.

Ignore the negative comments. These are the very people who call the cops when someone has thrown trash unto their yard.

20. Sharlene Diaz says:

Jose Diance “Dee” was one of my best friends , he had the best attitudes towards life , &the most beautiful smile i dont think anyone could forget .. he lived his life to the fullest to the very end! we’ve had some times with our other close friends that we would’nt trade for the world! its difficult to see someone taken from us at such a young age.. especially someone like Dee with all the great things he had going for himself ! he made his family proud ,always lead a great example to his younger brothers.. & was a great police officer ! he was one in a million ! Even though he is gone .. i look around and see all the lives hes touched..i just feel so blessed to have spent so many great times with him! i will miss him very much!

21. LUPE!! says:

He was my special friends brother, i didnt know him personally but from i knew about him he was full of life and was a great person! MY DEEPEST CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY!
    CESAR, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP BOO, YO SE QUE NO HAY NADA QUE YO PUEDA HACER PARA HACER LOS SENTIR MEJOR, ES MUY DIFICIL PERO TU TIENES QUE SER FURTE PARA TI Y PARA TU FAMILA! I AM HERE FOR YOU!!!

CON AMOR; LUPE!

22. John Kiernan says:

To Jose’s family and friends…

I’m so sorry for your loss and for having to read stupid comments here. I read a lot on the Internet and am constantly amazed at how the most innocent of stories ends up having some kind of flaming comments after it.

All I can say is there are some angry, angry people in the world. And while it might be quickly to raise your blood pressure, don’t let them pull you down to their level. Try to have the compassion of how hard it must be living a life that way — instead of like yours — and Jose’s.

23. Officer1 says:

Just the comments by the various citizens of California makes me sick. There are only a few people in this world that place their lives on nthe line daily, police Marines, Army, Fireman, etc. We are still human and when you need us we will come. Allow us the honor of “RIP”, if its on duty or off. Why, because you didnt take the job…COWARD…Internet COWARD…

24. PA says:

THIS IS REALLY SAD TO KNOW THAT HE IS GONE. HE WILL BE MISSED BY ALL AND NEVER FORGOTTEN NOT FOR WHAT HE DID BUT FOR WHO HE WAS. A FINE YOUNG MAN, WHO MADE A DECISION TO JOIN A DEPARTMENT THAT IS FAMILY.
    WE NEVER FORGET FAMILY.
    TO THE FAMILY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU.

25. CRISITNA N. says:

FOR THOSE WHOM ARE LEAVING BAD COMMENTS HE WAS STILL HUMAN AND STILL HAS FAMILY HE WAS SUCH A WONDERFUL COUSIN. SO DONT LEAVE ANY NEGATIVE THOUGHT AND OR ASSUME WE ARE ALREADY SUFFERING AS IT IS
    R.I.P CRUZITO

26. Kim says:

I’ve never met Jose’s family and extended friends but I would like to thank each and every one of you for raising such a good man. As fellow ofcrs going through our probationary period we would joke and vent about our days in the locker, sometimes laughing so hard tears came out. It was an honor working with him. One of the most unselfish, honest, hardworking and down to earth cop i’ve met on the Department. To his fiancee he spoke of you with the utmost respect and maturity and i hope you find your peace knowing he dearly loved you. His smile on the top of this news article is really hard to look at…
    rest in peace bro

27. Jerry Woods says:

I would just like to say Diance is a great person. He was one of my first friends I met when I transferred to Van Nuys high. Also playing football with him was great. We always pushed each other to do better. I’m proud to say i was able to be Diance’s friend and a Wolf pack brother. His memory will live on for what he did in life and how he helped so many people through life.

R.I.P Diance

Woods, 44

28. CARLOS ZAVALA says:

LO SENTIMOS MUCHO EL ERA UNA BUENA PERSONA,UN BUEN PRIMO Y BUEN HERMANO TE QUEREMOS MUCHO Y TE VAMOS A ESTRAÑAR TE VAMOS A LLEVAR EN NUESTROS CORAZONES ESTAMOS CON USTEDES TODA LA FAMILA ZAVALA DIANCE LOS QUEREMOS MUCHO ATTE TU PRIMO CARLOS ZAVALA

29. Ilyssa says:

It breaks my heart to know anybody would say anything bad about one of the most wonderful people I had in my life. Jose was extremely smart, more couragious than ever, the truest leader. I knew him for ten years and he was more than an upstanding citizen. He succeeded at everything he ever did, and could have done anything with his life. His dream was to be a cop since before I met him when I was 14 and he was only 15. He had perfect scores on all the tests to get in to the academy which is nearly impossible. He requested to work in one of the worst neighborhoods because he was willing to put himself in danger just to keep this city safe. He was the closest thing to a real life superman any of us will ever have. I would not be the person I am today without his guidence, and there are literally hundreds of others who would say the same. He had so much love in his heart for his friends and even more for his family. He never gave up on anyone, and pushed for everyone to be the best person they could be. It is horrible how some people can be so disrespectful, especially at a time like this. For all of us who knew him we know how truely wonderful he really was and so did he, no one can ever cheapen that. He will always have a place in our hearts and memories. He’s the guardian angel to all of us now, still guiding us just the way he did here on Earth. RIP Jose Diance, and prayers to his amazingly sweet family. You meant everything to him.

30. Gary says:

RIP in peace brother..you were great a person see you in heaven’s football field
    when I get chance to coach you again. We just lost great man an Officers of the Los Angeles Police Dept. A member of our 2005-06 Van Nuys Football Team.
    Overall great person. Ceaser and Chrsitian keep your heads up and be proud!
    We love you! Coach Gary
    Let me know what I can do to help it would be my honor to help the diance family. (818)674-3228

31. krystal yarbrough says:

I knew jose and his whole family since I was little. His family use to live next door to us in pacoima on norris…our families were very close. We grew up together…I watch jose and his brother grow up. I knew him before he was a cop…back when he just played cops and robbers, he always said that’s what he wanted to be. He was a great guy with a good heart. My family is so heartbroken. He will be missed. May god bless and keep his family and may his soul rest in peace, he’s in a better place now.

32. Adriana Lanuza says:

You were such a great asset to the community and a role model for all the kids out there.. I had the chance of meeting you! from the bottom of my heart I want to say thank you for being a role model in my son’s life.. you will be missed.. your beautiful smile and your great personality… Thank you for being a GREAT human being Jose… obviously God need it you and you had to go ;-( you will forever be missed….

33. yesica olalde says:

un muchacho muy lindo y respetuoso yo tube la oportunidad de conocerlo de nino lastima q, diosito lo llamo a su lado , solo le pido resignacion pronta para su mama, descanza en paz cruzito.

34. yesica olalde says:

yo se q, no hay palabras para calmar este dolor,solo le pido a dios ,q, los ayude a soportar esta perdida.piensen q, donde quiera q, el este los estara cuidando..

35. OSCAR FLORES says:

YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED.

36. GERARDO MARTINEZ says:

RIP JOSE YOULL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED BIG DAWG THE WHOLE CITY OF VAN NUYS LOVES YOU N MISSES YOU……I KNOW YOUR UP IN HEAVEN LOOKING DOWN ON US..

37. Kerry S says:

To the Diance family we have watch them grow and now we have to say goodby I am so sorry Maria my thoughts are with you and your family. Please everyone show respect to his family. I know how bad they are hurting. Thank you

38. Kristina mom says:

Jose was 23 years old, same age as my daughter. They are graduated van nuys high together, and enjoyed our prom together. He was a most beautiful person ever I see in my life, inside and out. We can not stop seeing his photos, and crying for him.

39. sofia s mom says:

40. Johnesha Pearson says:

My prayers go out to the family. I didn’t know him on a personal level but through connections of life through the LAPD Explorer Program God had and still has a plan for you. -former explorer 77th station class 88

41. Johnathan Santos says:

WE WILL NEVER FORGET YOU JOSE!!!! MAY YOU REST IN PEACE!!!!!

42. Johnathan Santos says:

Jose was a great man. He always cared about his two bros Christian and Ceazer in their time of need. And even though I’m not part of the family, I still think of him as a good friend and a really close friend that i had. I hope I could help you Christian and Ceazer with anything. I’ll be here for you guys. If u need something, jst ask oliver for my number. I’ll be here for you guys. I know its hard. I feel your pain. I’ve been through it. I’m so srry for your loss…may you rest in peace Jose. We love you!