Rock Climber Dies In Joshua Tree National Park

JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK (AP) — A 33-year-old rock climber is dead after falling about 110 feet while rappelling down a rock formation in Joshua Tree National Park.

Park spokesman Joe Zarki said Tuesday that David Pinegar of Loomis, Calif. was pronounced dead after Monday afternoon’s fall.

Zarki said Pinegar and a companion were rappelling down Saddle Rock, one of the tallest rock formations at the desert park, when he somehow fell as he was coming down.

The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the cause of the accident.

Zarki said he had no information on Pinegar’s rock climbing experience.

Comments

1. drozone69 says:

OMG.Destroy these rocks or prohibit any one from utilizing them!!Bad evil Rocks!!!

1. Hex the Italian says:

I totally agree, the rocks are probably illegals anyway… Deport them!!!

2. BD McGee says:

What a dork this dude was!

1. Sara says:

You’re obviously an idiot. You should be ashamed of yourself. Have some respect for a fellow human being who has died.

3. Ingrid says:

I knew him and can say he was far from a dork. He was one of the most wonderful people on this planet. He loved life and his family and friends. I am deeply saddened by his death.

4. Robb says:

David and I have climbed for years together. I feel like an icon of our generation of climbers is gone. He was right there any time I needed beta, or a kind word to encourage me to climb to my potential. There is no blood relation between us, but the bond of being the belay for the other, builds a connection as strong as brothers. Many of us knew him, and the bonus to being a climber is that we come to gether as a family. We see each other through our accomplishments, and tragedies. Dave, I miss you already, and not one hike, climb, red point or flash will happen without the thought of you looking down, and pushing me to climb to my potential