Blue Headlights Are Giving Some Drivers A Head-ache

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — If you’ve been out on the roads at night recently, there is no doubt you’ve seen the latest trend on the road…those bluish-white headlights beaming right back at you.

Snazzy looking to be sure, but more and more drivers are saying they’re making it harder to keep their eyes on the road when the lights are shining right at them.

Paul Magers hit the road to examine the new lights, the increasingly-popular HID/Xenon lights, and an even newer technology, LED lights.

For more about these lights click here.

And to find an optometrist, click here.

Comments

1. El Magnifico says:

Those lights are a threat to safety

1. Laughing in el monte says:

Consume fewer caffeinated and nicotine-based substances to attenuate ocular vasoconstriction. Drafting a new law just makes lawyers rich and drains tax revenue.

1. lotsoflaughs says:

If you haven’t checked out this blog yet you should. It’s got a bunch of really funny stories that are all super clean. I’m trying to get more readers to my blog in hopes of being able to publish someday. So if you check it out and like it please tell family and friends about it. http://www.jaredslighterside.blogspot.com

2. Saber 1 says:

CHP,and city police should ticket these idiots with lowered cars who spend more money on lights, rims/tires and exhaust systems than the car is worth. Ticket and tow these idiots and the racing and lighting system would be a thing of the past.Don’t make it a fix it ticket, the sum of money goes up with each ticket.

2. So what!! says:

Next thing you are gona say is ” they are a threat to national security” what a moron!!!!

1. Laughing in el monte says:

Mrs. “So what”, I thought you said it was all about race! LOL

2. So what!! says:

It is! Next thing people are going to complain about people drving with rims that are to big!!!!! Stop nagging theres other more important things going on…….

3. Dan says:

Isn’t that what they said when halogen lights were introduced in the 70’s? And now it’s hard to believe we ever drove without them.

The guy below hit the nail on the head — it is the AFTERMARKET HID lights that are a problem, not factory.

2. Renee says:

How are these legal? They are too bright and you can’t see when they approach you.

1. Astonished says:

Yeah, I just love it when some idiot tailgates my car with these darn headlights on full blast. You can’t even get out of their path because the lights reflecting off the mirrors blind you! They should be outlawed.

3. Greg says:

HID Lights are fine when installed appropriately. By that I mean when they are in Projectors meant for HID’s or HID Reflectors.

People are throwing HID lights in their Halogen reflector lights and it scatters the bright light all over the place, blinding eveything and everyone in its way.

1. sfv41901 says:

Greg hit it right on the money. I’ve had a 06 Escalade & a 02 Acura TL with FACTORY Reflector HIDs, a 06 M5 & now have a 09 CTS with FACTORY Projector HIDs. These headlights were built with the correct optics to handle HID lighting. The problem isn’t with the OEM lights, its with all of these un-educated people who think that there is no problem installing HIDs into a halogen based headlight. Some even think that just because they “aim” their head lights a lil lower that it doesn’t blind people……….WAKE UP & stop trying to look cool. If you want the HID look, then stop being a CHEAP A** & buy a car with factory HIDs. Be considerate to other drivers on the road.

2. J Sacc says:

The after market ones are the one that need to taken off the streets. They look like sh%t. The Xenons that come stock are the proper ones.

1. jerk Martinez says:

it only lights funny people I have aftermarket ones at 5000k

4. Larry says:

I can’t believe the Fed Transportation Authority approves of these lights. They need at least a State ban as they are a serious safety issue.

5. So what!! says:

All the people complaining shouldnt even be driving!!!! Take the bus train,bicycle nothing wrong with these lights….

1. sfv41901 says:

……….Exceptt that prople are putting “these HID lights” into the wrong headlight!!!!

6. Amayasan says:

I really happen to like them..they are much brighter therefore creating a safer driving environment. I have yet to find them a distraction. Even being behind me with the lights it has not caused me any problems, only illuminating the roads like I can only wish my Ford Fusion would!

7. michael wout says:

they sould take away these light gives me a eyeache like looking into the sun

1. silvydude says:

These lights are wonderful. I have a fullsize silverado and I have HID’s for the headlights and fog lights and WOW what a difference. They light up even the blackest of roads which is great for moonless nights. I know some people say that if you want HID’s then you should buy a car that has them already, but last time I checked, ford, chevy and dodge do not offer HID lighting as an option when purchasing a new truck, so if you want to drive something that can actually haul things, and tow things in otherwords (a truck), then youll have to install them yourself.

8. Robert Sinwell says:

I love my Hid headlights driving in pothole San Fernando Valley were there is a lot of dark streets normal headlights don’t allow for you to spot the potholes in time. I have mine point more downward then the norm and the driverside light is pointed more into the middle and have tested that setup with friends. All have said with that adjustment it is nowhere near as bad as the others with Hid headlights. I drive a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage.

9. Karen says:

I want them banned. I can not see a damn thing with those lights.

If we can ban incandescent, we can ban these.

1. Julie says:

Karen you are one very overly delicate idiot. Let’s ban you from planet Earth.

Factory installed OEM HID/Xenon headlights do not blind anyone but idiots like Karen. It’s the people that do not have the money to purchase vehicles with factory installed OEM HID/Xenon headlights that blind people with their aftermarket blue lights. These people are mostly blacks and hispanics that want to look “cool” with blue lights. Real HID/Xenon headlights run about $1000.00 but blacks and hispanics spend about $40.00 for their horrific looking blue lights. Point being, factory installed OEM HID/Xenon lights are awesome and if you instal aftermarket blue lights on your car (yes, people can tell the difference) it clearly shows that you are a looser with no money. And before anyone tells me that I’m racist…yes I am🙂

1. Buck says:

True and proud right on.

2. Sean says:

Now, to Julie, the self-proclaimed racist who stated that it was Blacks and Hispanics who are spending $40 for the illegal blue lights, you are not only a racist, but an idiot. I am Black and I am not a “loser” buying the $40 bulbs. I own multiple vehicles, one of those being a 2007 Corvette that of course comes from the factory with proper HID/Xenon lights. The Vette replaced a 2001 BMW that also came from the factory HID’s. On the other hand, I have seen folks of all races buying the cheap bulbs, including Whites and Asians. And before you go there, I have attained everything I own in a legal, legitimate, honest fashion. Thank You.

10. Will says:

This is the same topic that came up when we change from seal beam to halogen lamp that we all have now. During that time, people dislike them just like they dislike the xenon HID. Now everybody has halogen on there cars and no one complain about those being too bright anymore. People just don’t accept change. Trust me…..they are not going away no matter how many people dislike them.

11. Onclewillie says:

Not sure why you even need the super bright blue lights. Few of the users will ever drive down an unlighted road in the middle of nowhere. The lights are a real problem for older drivers that have problems with glare and a major pain in the backside when some bozo in an Escalade is tailgating you in a small car.

If you need that much light to drive down a busy freeway, then maybe you need to get rid of the illegal blacked out windows or get your eyes checked. I used to drive in France without any headlights; just the illumination provided by the street lights and surrounding buildings. If the French can do it, why can’t you intrepid American drivers manage with less offensive lighting. Don’t even get me started on the idiots that raise their trucks 4 feet higher than stock and add 4 or 6 lighting packages and thick it is cool to blind everyone going the opposite direction on the freeway.

1. Renee B says:

You’ve got it right Onclewillie. It’s not just older drivers who are blinded by the brightness and glare caused by these lights.
      Those lights are a safety hazzard.

12. alan hart says:

I find the light from these lights clearer and have less glair that customary white lights.

13. Sean says:

Appalled! I just saw the report on CBS news and was compelled to log on here to set the record straight. Fortunately, some here ie. Greg and svf41901 have already set it straight. The fact is that the higher-end cars that come from the factory with HID lights are not the ones that are blinding folks. It is the cheap ILLEGAL bulbs that are being purchased at auto parts stores that are the culprit. These people are putting blue 100 watt bulbs in their cars and are blinding folks. Some are going a step further and putting actual HID bulbs in a housing that was designed for a halogen bulb. This housing, or lens, disperses the light wider than a factory HID housing would, and therefore blinds people as well. Unfortunately there are some uneducated folks out there who are being blinded by the cheap ILLEGAL bulbs, and they blame HID’s in general. And shame on CBS for directing their report on the luxury cars that have the proper HID lights that DON’T blind people and barely mentioning the fake bulbs.