‘X Factor’ Auditions Underway At LA Memorial Sports Arena

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Auditions for a new singing competition series hosted by former “American Idol” judge Simon Cowell got underway Sunday at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.

“The X Factor” is the first U.S. series where a contestant will be front of an audience of thousands the first time he or she auditions for the judges, a concept that originated in the United Kingdom.

“We made a decision a couple of years ago in the U.K. that I couldn’t fit in an audition room with two other people and judge properly,” Cowell told reporters during a conference call in February. “I’ve done it too many years and I wanted to change things up.

“So I made a decision that we would change the audition, not just in front of the judges, but in fact 4,000 or 5,000 people in an arena. Essentially, it was supposed to be similar to them doing their first concert. It really helped me to show who could handle the pressure, who was a good performer.”

Groups and singers as young as 12 years old can audition for the series, which will premiere in the fall.

“I like the idea that a 12-year-old on this show can compete with an older singer and a singing group,” Cowell said, adding that “I’ve never believed there should be a cut-off age for talent.”

In addition to signing a professional recording contract, the series winner will receive a $5 million prize.

Auditions will also be held in the Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Newark, N.J. and Seattle areas.

Comments

1. drozone69 says:

Now wonder this nation is in financial ruins.Singing does not help the economy!!

1. Moose169 says:

Did you really equate XFactor to the economic woes of this country……Get a clue!!!

2. Adrian Gandara Jr says:

My comment for x factor audition today March 27,2011.very disorganized,My dauther went for audition. too loud inside a booth where she is doing her audition.my dauther dosn’t expect how low the audition,after She sing her song for audition the person auditioning my dauther to stop coz the verse too long.my suggestion to let us know or a 12 y/o how many minutes or second she is allowed to sing.after all sacrifice and waiting in line is not even worthed to go for audition.I am not happy for the outcomes of the audition today.I need some explaination from your office about tjis .my number 714-270-2757.my name Addian Gandara Sr.

1. chess player says:

Adrian, you either need to learn grammar or not post….your comment made very little sense……geez!

1. dencio says:

!00% agree with chess player

2. Nicole says:

My daughter auditioned too..18 hours of waiting for a 13 year old. Yes she made in thru first round and then the next day they left us outside for 4 hours to freeze. This was the worst abuse I have ever experienced. If this is the price of fame Simon can take and shove it. They put thru people who were freaks for show factor this is not a talent show but just another reality T.V. show. What a freaking joke this was.The way people were treated was worse than cattle. So unorganized, so unprofessional and just downright abusive!! Simon you should be ashamed!!!

1. Erikkah Richards says:

I was there all three days………I am a professional vocalist and have been working in the music business half of my life. I have never seen such a disorganized so called audition in my life. Totally unprofessional….Nicole is totally correct….after people stood outside freezing ….and standing in lines for hours…..it went from bad to worse once inside…it became a three ring circus…it was supposed to be open to all ages….yet very few children went through to the second round….and certainly no older adults did that I saw…..they crowded people into a narrow hallway to await the second round….to be heard by three “judges” in a tiny room……they seemed like dim wits……and in my opinion had very little musical knowledge…..I left after the second round…i didn’t even want to see the third……I went mainly out of curiosity….as I didn’t need need them to verify my singing ability……the whole thing was totally mishandled….people were disrespected…..not to mention the majority of those that came paid $10.00 a day to park…(I parked on the street)….also they were charging $5.00 for a bottle of water…$8.00 for a hot dog etc( I brought my own food and water)……so they made money regardless at the expense of all those hopefuls if there were 80,000people there at $10.00 a pop…..do the math…….very sad…..my advice to any talented vocalists or vocal groups…..don’t bother with these so called auditions for the shows…it’s 90% hype……find other avenues…if you’re talented don’t give up…you just need the right person to see and hear you….and you will never find it with the X Factor or any related and over rated shows…….hang it there
        Peace,
        Erikkah .

3. Melissa Gandara says:

1. Ed Rooney says:

Thanks that’s much clearer than your first post-
      Did you seriously post your phone number for all too see?
      Wow, just when you think people can’t get any dumber.

4. dencio says:

I agree with drozone69, “NO” wonder this nation is in financial ruin because maleducated people like you doesn’t even know how to spell properly yet you have the guts to comment here. People like you are the one’s dragging this nation down into ruins.

5. drozone69 says:

Meant as a double entendre,you idiotic ninkampoop!!

6. ultimatebandgirl says:

Melissa even after your second comment it is very hard to understand what you are trying to say. i know its just a comment but spelling and grammer are important for succes. if you cant write and communicate properly i dont think you can verbally communicate maybe its you writen and verbal communication skills that trashed your daughters audition. i suggest you motivate your daughter to educate herself not be a singer. your part of the problem in america.

7. Jacki says:

X Factor is poorly organized.Children still waiting to audition after waiting 13 hours X Factor producers admit error made. The children were put in nose bleed section by mistake.

8. Ed Rooney says:

Damn, what a collection of losers that must have been at one place! Too bad a nuke didn’t drop there, talk about thinning the herd of uselessness…

1. moose169 says:

Just because you can speak does not mean you should Ed

1. Ed Rooney says:

Clearly you are one of them. Good luck with that, loser.

9. moose169 says:

People were put in sections in the order they showed up on Sat.Basically you wanted to show up whenever and be put to the front because you had a minor auditioning.If YOU would have been there at 0400 am like some folks on Sat. you would have been out of there in 6 hours.

10. mrs. hensley says:

I was there for 15 hours. I thought it was very well organized for the first audition. I agree that it was hard to hear in the audition booths. But they were very clear from the start that they were looking at personalities as well as singers. I did make it through the first round and am going back this evening for the second round.

11. Compassionate1 says:

Imagine how long it would take for 24 people to see 18,000 people. And I’m sure they’re trained to be able to hear what they need to hear with others auditioning.