Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At 79

LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) — Actress Elizabeth Taylor has died at the age of 79. She had recently been hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where was being treated for symptoms of congestive heart failure.

Taylor was surrounded by her children: Michael Wilding, Christopher Wilding, Liza Todd, and Maria Burton, according to her publicist Sally Morrison. In addition to her children, she is survived by 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

“My Mother was an extraordinary woman who lived life to the fullest, with great passion, humor, and love. Though her loss is devastating to those of us who held her so close and so dear, we will always be inspired by her enduring contribution to our world,” Michael Wilding said.

“Her remarkable body of work in film, her ongoing success as a businesswoman, and her brave and relentless advocacy in the fight against HIV/AIDS, all make us all incredibly proud of what she accomplished. We know, quite simply, that the world is a better place for Mom having lived in it. Her legacy will never fade, her spirit will always be with us, and her love will live forever in our hearts.”

Taylor announced her congestive heart failure diagnosis in 2004.

elizabeth taylor Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At 79

GALLERY: Liz Taylor Through The Years

The Oscar-winning actress recently received friends in her hospital room, where she also watched the Academy Awards to celebrate her birthday last month.

Film critic Leonard Maltin tells KNX 1070’s Dick Helton and Vicky Moore that Taylor’s personal life ultimately eclipsed her considerable talents as an actress.

A private family funeral will be held later this week. In lieu of flowers, Taylor’s family asks that donations be made to the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation. Personal messages can also be shared on a Facebook triubute page.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. DJ says:

RIP, Elizabeth.

1. Saber 1 says:

What was the final count of husbands? There going to need several family cars for the ex husbands. Now lets move on to how many she $crewwed on the side, the funeral procession will be eight to nine miles long. Oh, remember she was friends with the drug addict pdofile Jackson. What a wonderful person she was.

2. Ken Angerstein says:

Shes back with Richard again. R.I.P. Elizabeth.

1. Johnny Chingas says:

FOR SOMEONE WHO HAD 10 MARRIAGES & MANY OFFSET ROMANCES & FLINGS, I WONDER IF SHE IS LOOSER THAN THE AMAZON RIVER.

1. Linda Cervantes says:

How Distrespectful. Rest in Peace Elizabeth.

2. Linda Cervantes says:

My comment was in reply to Lenny’s

3. Lenny says:

Linda. I’m allowed an opinion. Thats what the comments facility is for.

2. Marissa says:

I just saw her in “The Last I Saw Paris (1954) last weekend. In that movie she died near the ending. I cried. Now I will cry again.

3. cbsstanton says:

For my grandmother: Helena Cassadine has left Port Charles.

4. Karen says:

God rest her soul. She was a wonderful person.

5. john says:

the most beautiful woman in hollywood–she was the standard for beauty for decades–she will be missed —but well have her movies to enjoy and remind us of one of the last legends in movies

6. John A. says:

Miss Taylor was a true professional,graceful and very appreciative of her fans.Hollywood has lost another great legend of its Golden age.

7. PAUL E. MICELLI says:

TRULY ONE OF HOLLYWOOD’S BEST! GOD BLESS YOU

8. Caroline horn says:

Am sad that a lovely woman, mother grandma, friend and creative artist is no long with us physically. I hold her in my heart and hope that she will meet with her friend M Jackson where she has gone. My love and worm feeling for her family and God bless. Only time will ease the grief
    Caroline

1. Lenny says:

I doubt she will meet MJ, Caroline he has probably melted by now.

That said, he may have got a pass in to heaven but I doubt it.

1. Lenny says:

Hi moderator
        I hope you don’t ban me for having a view. It’s an opinion and nothing more.
        I already paid my respects to Liz earlier in the thread.
        Thanks

9. NILE says:

a true goddess of beauty ….RIP Elizabeth taylor ..

10. Cassandra Morrison says:

I remember her well and it is a shame. But, you know, she will never really die for she will never be forgotten. “Maggie the Cat” (cf: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF)is immortal.

11. Hernar says:

God Bless You Liz & your family… We truly lost an Icon. But Heaven has addec an ANGEL…

R.I.P

12. dbm says:

R.I.P. Elizabeth, you’re at peace and with your family & friends. Thank you for all the love and kindness you spread to others. Your memory will live on for ever. May God bless you always ……………………………………

13. Paula says:

My deepest condolence to her family on the passing of a legend.

14. marianne says:

Bless you. And may your family carry on your legacy of generosity and love.

15. CS says:

SHE WAS JUST AN ADDRESS THAT MADE HERSELF WALTHY AND KNOWN BY MARRING PRODUCERS AND ACTORS ! SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL BUT TOOK IT TO EXTREME 8 MARRIGES TO 7 MEN. DONT SEE HOW PEOPLE THINK SHE IS SUCH A GOOD PERSON SHE WRECKED MANY FAMILIES SHE WAS A HOMEWRECKER THAT MADE IT BIG!

1. VG says:

Maybe you should learn to spell first. If you don’t have something nice to say about a person who passed away, then keep your mouth shut.

1. Brittney says:

VG, If you dont got nothing nice to say to CS then keep your mouth shut let CS be. If that is what HE/SHE wants to say let ’em say it. DUH!

2. whatnow says:

So bashing the dead is ok with you? May I suggest an English class.

3. sam says:

U NEED TO GET A LIFE U DUMB ASS!!!

4. danny says:

u should let people speck their mind!!! u shut up!!!

2. whatnow says:

I guess you never saw any of her movies! Debbie Reynolds forgave her and became friends with her again so I double if she cares about your opinion. Have a little respect for the dead.

16. ILLEGALS says:

Now her lawyer scrambles to sort out who gets what..

17. Shalt says:

A STAR is born ~*

18. Elaine sekerman says:

I just watched “Butterfield 8” a few days ago. She was wonderful. Have been praying for her since she went into the hospital. Think I will take some flowers down to Hollywood Blvd. to her star on the walk of fame. R.I.P.

19. JL says:

A great lady with a great heart leaves behind an astounding body of work from my childhood favorite, National Velvet, to, in my opinion, her finest performance in Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Thanks for it all, Liz, and may you rest in peace.

20. Mary says:

I miss her a lot, she is a RIP. she goes home to Heaven. I remember her actress on t.v and movie. The Velvet.

21. Jimmy Cruz says:

Wow, she was a hottie!!!! What I would have given for 1 hour with her when I was 18 and she was 35!!!!!

22. cindee sirgany says:

A NATURAL Beauty and Talent is gone!! RIP in Elizabeth.

23. marian says:

she will be greatly missed and no one will ever be able to replace her. i will bet though that in a matter of weeks there will be a movie on her life on tv. can’t see how as there is no one who could ever look or talk like liz. liz hope you are with the ones you loved the most, michael and richard. your heart always belonged to these two men.

24. alberto mesa says:

Elizabeth you have a very special place reserved for you in heaven, because only a few people in this life have paved their way to heaven the way only you have done it, I think the whole world have suffer one of the biggest lost, God be with yours and keep you near his side.
    We will miss you for ever!!!!!

25. Vlad says:

In Russia we adored her. Let her rest in peace!

26. mae victoria says:

she wasn’t a really good actress and she was nice looking but i don’t get idolizing a lazy out of shape woman who hung out with the likes michael jackson. that year and when she and brook shields go with michael to the oscars. and that stinking perfume with chemicals in it that cause cancer and host of all sorts of illness. don’t be insane and follow the herd and idolize this fat old freak. really watch her acting. we don’t have mind of our own and allow the false reality operators in hollywood tell us everything we are to look up to and buy. sheep look up to this fat old woman.

27. Lyneva says:

Liz was one of the greatest . There will never be another like her RIP

28. Lyneva Mottley says:

The beauty of Hollywood, she will be missed. Now you can rest in peice

29. Ejerroll says:

A STAR MOVED ON TO A BETTER PLACE.LIZ YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED. THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL Memories. RIP

30. BelAir Steve says:

Well maybe if she had Tiger blood and Adonis DNA, this wouldn’t have happened.

31. Ida says:

She was beautiful. It must’ve been nice to hae men falling to their feet. RIP Liz…
    It was a pleasure being in your lifetime.

32. Dino says:

One of the last of the great stars is gone. But her movies will keep her alive for all of us who were captivated by her beauty and graciousness. Thank you Liz and Rest in Peace…

33. Smiley McDaniels says:

Next up, Zsa Zsa…and Charlie Sheen!!

34. DIANA LOPEZ says:

LIZ R.I.P. YOU WILL BE MISSED BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN!!!! GOD BLESS U AND UR FAMILY THRU THIS TOUGH TIME. FAMILY UR IN MY PRAYERS. SUCH A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN AND A BIG HEART!!!!! ALWAYS A YOUR FAN

35. RIP Elizabeth Taylor. The world will miss you greatly but you will forever live in our hearts.

36. A beautiful ‘REAL’ woman-a lady-and a ‘Dame’ an honour Queen Elizabeth bestowed upon her Almost THE Last of Old Hollywood-she will feel pain no more-only those that are left will-but we have her films and the memories of her and her extraordinary beauty RIP Miss Elizabeth Taylor DBE

37. Matt says:

An actress dies and it’s world news. Congressional Medal of Honor recipients die and it’s a shock if it makes it to the front page of the local paper. Disgusting..

38. drozone69 says:

A true woman and role model.RIP.

39. DANNY says:

SHE WAS A GREAT ACTOR AND A VERY GREAT LADY!!!

40. brian says:

Godspeed Mrs/MIss Taylor even though I never saw your movies your compassion for what you have done will always be there even I shed a tear for you and hope that you will return in another life as the same person thaty you were here in this life i hope that god has a place in heaven for you and am certain that those who died of aids will great you with open arms

41. damian miles hollywood 101 says:

“Time Has Stopped…….Our Child Star, Our Gleaming Hollywood Queen and Starlet,
    The Great Dame Elizabeth Taylor is Gone…….
    The World is Heartbroken and We Will Never Be The Same….

Damian Miles Hollywood 101

42. Joel Raes says:

What a great legacy Ms. Taylor left us.

Thanks,
    Joel Raes

43. תקליטן לחתונה says:

Thanks , I have just been looking for info approximately this subject for ages and yours is the best I’ve came upon till now. But, what about the conclusion? Are you positive about the source?|What i don’t understood is in truth how you’re now not really much more well-preferred than you might be now. You’re so intelligent.