Police Hunt 3 Armed Men Wanted For Robbery In Winnetka

WINNETKA (CBS) — Police were searching tonight for three armed men who may be involved in a Winnetka robbery.

A perimeter has been set up near Chase Street and the Winnetka Recreation Center.  Police are warning the public to stay indoors and call 911 if they see anything suspicious.

Topanga area officers tried to pull over who they thought was a drunken driver about 8:40 p.m. near Mason Avenue and Schoenborn Street, according to Officer Karen Rayner of Los Angeles Police Department.

The car crashed and three suspects fled.

Officers found several guns inside the car and believe the suspects matched the descriptions of suspects in a robbery that occurred earlier Monday evening  in the 7700 block of Gazette Avenue, one block north of Saticoy, Rayner said.

Comments

1. Moe says:

Keep on making them guns.

1. Aleksey Sundukovskiy says:

It is just not an intelligent thing to write. Robberies existed before guns were invented. As a matter of fact, guns were invented so that the smallest, the shortest, and the most petite could stand up to the biggest, burliest, and meanest operating in packs, taking what they want from people. They used overwhelming physical force, and those who invented guns used intelligence. So according to you, we should just throw away the freedoms hard earned by humanity by enforcing (I wonder by what means if not a gun??) some draconian, counter-intuitive law which would totally abrogate the constitution. Not to mention of course that won’t stop the law breakers from arming themselves because they are criminals. But I have to say I’m less afraid of them than “Karl Pilkingtons” of the world such as yourself coming to power.

1. kathleen says:

This is not the time for politics. People are scared

2. Jen says:

Hoping and praying that I will be able to see my family soon, 3 hrs of helicopters and cops cars and your house less than a block away but you can’t get home, is too scary to put into words

1. Travis says:

Im sorry Jen! I hope you can see them soon! All I keep hearing is the helicopter above

2. smileysue74 says:

really? I seen a few caI knowrs get through at oso where I am a block away..

I know, they are parked in the intersection at community and oso too where I live. they have been through our yard with dogs, they’re dressed in what appeared to be a kind of riot gear according to my brother.. Our dogs are going crazy, I hope they find them soon. I did see them let cars through at this block though. Go around another way and show them your driv lic with your address, tell them u need to take your medication and they will prob let you through

3. Travis says:

This answers all my questions. Would it be better if i turned my flood lights on to help keep a safe street? I live on a cul-de-sac and there is no lights on the street.

4. Jen says:

Travis, my husband says the same about hearing the helicopter and I would turn on the flood lights! Not like you will be able to sleep anytime soon. Anything to keep these guys away from your house. We have created a group of neighbors waiting to get home in the 7-11 parking lot

1. kathleen says:

Are you still waiting there?

2. smileysue74 says:

awe, yall are at Mason and Rosco? Have you tried the first street north of Rosco on Mason?

3. Travis says:

Sorry i thought i would get an email but i forgot to check the box below. Yes i turned the lights on.. im at Mason and Parthenia but you never know where the guys can run off to. Thanks and hope you are home and warm!

5. Gibson Joshua says:

Couldn’t believe all the B&W and undercover cars!
    Are they going yard by yard looking for these guys?

1. smileysue74 says:

they are, I think..been through our yard with dogs, well armed.. I’m repeating myself

6. Jen says:

I can’t believe they said “were” searching for these guys

7. Kathleen says:

I called an hour or so ago and they said to stay indoors and call 911 if anything strange happened. They also recommended keeping as many lights on as possible.

8. Jen says:

Kathleen, yes we are still here, just waiting.

1. Kathleen says:

can you ask the police if you can come here? I will open up my home.

9. Judith Frazier says:

Thanks for the tips. We (nr Oso & Strathern) set our house alarm as well.

10. Miles says:

We’ve got the lights on all around the house and a few inside are on as well. Keep your eyes and ears open, neighbors.

11. Jen says:

Kathleen, thank you so much but my home is only four houses in from mason and they wouldn’t let me even walk in. I am just grateful I don’t work tomorrow and my husband is safe with my son. There about 20 of us in here just waiting. Thanks to everyone for their comments. May it be over soon for everyone.

12. Travis says:

Just landed from an 11 hour flight and can’t get home which is within 20 feet of where they are stopping me. I understand precautions must be made but this is ridiculous. They should have taken swifter action when they tried to first pull their car over, and instead they allowed 3 people to run…couldn’t even catch 1? Thanks LAPD. This spectacle you are putting on in “search” of these 3 guys is more annoying than making me feel safe. At this point they have fled or are inside someones house…please leave so we can all go home even if that means the suspects will run AGAIN. If you couldn’t stop them right in front of you, how will you find them when they are hidden????

13. Kathleen says:

Jen, let me know when you are safe.

14. Jennufer says:

I live on oso and elkwood and can still hear the helicopter right over my house. Hope you are all safe. Has it been updated at all?

15. Miles says:

I think we’re going to be “on alert” until the chopper is called off. Hope they find those guys ASAP.

16. Kathleen says:

no new news. Can someone call the PD? 818-756-8400.

1. kathleen says:

oops
      818-756-4800

17. Kathleen says:

They told me to keep alert until the choppers were gone for at least an hour and then to call them to make sure.
    Sorry for the phone # snafu.

18. Miles says:

Thanks for the update. Might as well make some coffee…

19. Jen says:

I have been talking to the cops that have been coming in seven eleven to use the restroom and get coffee, yes they are like taking shifts or something, and they said they have dogs searching so stay in your houses

1. kathleen says:

I’m drinking coffee. Trying to stay up.

2. kathleen says:

any news?

20. Rick says:

Just be patient everyone. I know its a huge inconvenience but they have to check the entire perimeter. Yes that means house by house, backyard by backyard. They might still be waiting for K9 or getting the search team together. You’ll know its over once you see police dispersing from the positions they’re in. Until then, just be patient and hope they get these criminals off the street so you and your families can sleep in peace tonight. They can’t escort you home even if you live 1 house inside the perimeter. Your safety comes first. they risk one of these guys popping out and putting you in danger.

1. Kathleen says:

Thanks, Rick! 🙂

21. smileysue74 says:

I keep hearing things.. have they caught them.. I don’t hear the helicopters anymore… ummmm.. or do I..

22. Judith Frazier says:

Helo moved east; looks to be over Corbin area just So of Roscoe.

1. Judith Frazier says:

Helo’s back now.

23. kathleen says:

Who will call the police to check? I don’t want to be “That” crazy mom that calls 10 times. 818-756-4800.

24. smileysue74 says:

I havent heard the choppers in at least a few minutes.. at Oso near Rosco..
    I

25. Kathleen says:

Did they give up?

26. Kathleen says:

eeek. They’re back.

27. Miles says:

I can still hear the helicopter nearby, but it is seems a bit further away than before.

28. Jen says:

They opened up mason and are letting us in this way. Five cops just left and went back towords their station on canoga. Hope they got them and we can all go to sleep!

1. Kathleen says:

did they catch them or just give up?

2. Travis says:

yeah hopefully they caught the guys!! Thats all we need in our neighborhood!

29. Niecy says:

The perimeter gets bigger and bigger the longer it takes to get these guys. At least we can get a better nights sleep knowing that our area has been checked out thoroughly. I will feel better knowing they are behind bars, though. I’d like to hear the update on the news, soon.

30. Miles says:

Let’s hope. Thanks for the updates, it’s good to have folks looking out for each other. Stay safe neighbors, keep those lights on tonight.

31. smileysue74 says:

Please post any information regarding the capture, if any.

32. AriBro says:

Are you telling me that we can’t locate and arrest a group of men with three arms? They must stand out like crazy. I know that I would notice them. And doesn’t this also implicate all of us for creating a society in which these men can’t find decent employment. This must be another sign of the deep erosion to our manufacturing sector as it only stands to reason that a factory owner would jump at the opportunity to employ a three armed man, let alone a group of them. Have our basic prejudices of the tri-limbed relegated these men to a life of freak shows and derision and is this their act of revenge. These question truly torture me.

1. smileysue74 says:

sad, isn’t it? I heard they had just robbed a medical marijuana collective…

33. DPatricia says:

It’s so sad to think that there are individuals that still think that being a criminal has something to do with race. It doesn’t matter if the individuals are black, brown, white, or green for that matter; these men have chosen to live a life beneath the human race period. As a home owner in the same neighborhood that you live in it scares me and saddens me to feel that I can’t be safe even in my own home; it’s even sadder to think that I live with neighbors (not all of course) who still view Mexicans or African American as criminals.

For our safety I hope they catch them no matter what color they are.

34. Jude says:

anyone know if they were caught???? IIt seemed to stop about 1:30am

35. Debbie Shreve Trejo says:

Debbie Shreve Trejo…. They told us that they were bringing the police dogs,That was about 10 pm They have told us that the dogs never fail,once they pick up their scent. The news van was parked at winnetka and chase unable to get into the area either,like everyone else trying to go home. Too bad they were not able to get the news regarding the “end result” of this evenings drama.People like myself are wondering if they did actually find these people.Doesnt seem likely that they did,or wouldnt the new van have stayed long enough to report this? Hummm,well,I guess we can find out today through the police department.Be safe,my neighbors and friends…

36. sol roberts says:

DPartricia~ get real and face reality! The truth is that most crime is committed by blacks & mexicans in los angeles county. I’m not saying that all members of those two groups group are criminals. Flush political correctness down the toilet. Liberals like yourself love to brand people as racists or accuse them of having nazi/klan ties if they dare state the TRUTH. For identification purposes we must mention the race of the criminal.

1. Miles says:

Your trolling garbage is not welcome here nor in our community. Take your bigotry and political nonsense and keep it to yourself.

37. MissD says:

Now I know why they were so many ghetto birds, they were hovering over well into midnight.

38. AriBro says:

I’m sorry but these men must face enough prejudice due to having three arms. No matter what ethnicity they are I’m sure that this is a daily obstacle for them. Imagine the additional cost for gloves and manicures, the ackwardness of slow dances in high school, the list of challenges would seem to be endless. Let have pity of these men and love them the way that God created them. Put another way, “mucho respeto para mis hermanos, con tres manos”.

39. Slinger says:

If they don’t catch them, LAPD will find someone else to arrest to make themselves look good.

40. smileysue74 says:

The following day, as I was driving away I saw what must have been the car they crashed into,.,.damn, that car was hit hard.. pieces of that car was every where. They must have taken the car that was driven by the robbers,.
    there’s still pieces of car here and there.. I can see part of what looks like a bumper on the corner and there’s a gas cap and stuff in our yard at Oso..