LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Radiation from the compromised Fukushima Nuclear Plant in northern Japan is heading for the west coast, and will arrive sometime tomorrow in the late afternoon. Many Angelenos are worried about the consequences.
Juan Fernandez spoke with a Radiation Oncologist Dr. Afshin Safa to answer your most pressing questions and concerns about it’s effects. Find out what he said about sushi, the LA Marathon and why he doesn’t recommend taking potassium iodide.
- We are already exposed to background radiation – or every day radiation — will we be getting a double dose of radiation?
- What is the best way to protect myself form radiation? Should I stay home and cover up with a mask?
- What about potassium iodide?
- Will my pets and kids be okay to play outside?
You also asked:
- I am a surfer, so therefore always in the water. Is the Ocean water a arisk of contamination?
- Can I eat sushi? And fruits and vegetables that we grow here?
- I live and work about 6-thousand-feet elevation. Is there higher risks at higher altitudes?
- Can I do the LA Marathon?
(©2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)