Borders Announces Closure Of Its Hollywood Store

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Borders bookstore announces the closure of its Hollywood store.

Located at the Hollywood Marketplace retail complex on Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street, the store will close by the end of May.

When Borders filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy February 16th, it said the closures were being made due to reduced customer spending, their ongoing discussions with publishers and other vendor related parties, as well as the company’s lack of liquidity.  To date, 200 closures have resulted from the company’s bankruptcy filing.

At least 11 other Borders bookstores in Los Angeles County and four in Orange County have closed or will closed in connection with the bankruptcy.  Stores in the following communities are expected to shut their doors by the end of April:

Cerritos
La Habra
Orange
Tustin
Yorba Linda.

Comments

1. Julie says:

GOOD. 80% of people who go to bookstores don’t even buy any books! Most of them just read books inside the bookstores or just hang out there for hours. Now all these loitering idiots with nothing to do are going to hang out at Barnes & Noble…LOL.

1. Johnny Stoakes says:

They should go to http://www.borders.com and shop. I have to agree with you Julie. Are you single?

2. m says:

Yeah, Julie … now, all those “loitering idiots” will have to hang out on the street . . .

3. paul says:

no, they will go to Starbucks

2. Frank says:

I agree with both of you. Johnny, are you single?

3. john says:

I think they should open up a t-shirt shop in its place. Yay!

4. afroaries says:

Having gone into this store several times I can attest that many of the people do just loiter about. But its supposed to be good for business makes the place look busy. Oh well they can always go to the library and hang out there all day.

5. afroaries says:

What people have to realize is that with the internet many people simply go online to find wha they want. Many younger people dont even bother to look at a book unless they have too.

6. sir jay says:

There used to be many bookstores in the Hollywood area.
    Now there will be none.
    This is a pity.
    Bookstores were perfect places to meet people.

7. IGuessSo says:

Amazon gets my money because they always have the books I want and I don’t pay taxes or s/h/ Anything to not add to the CA economy.

The taxes in CA are way to high and I have been holding off buying many things including a new car because I am sick and tired of being over taxed.

8. Fabian's Son says:

I’m sure Amazon will sell you a car tax free soon. Soon every retailer other than Amazon and Wal-Mart will be out of business (welcome to Detroit). I suppose we can just increase state income tax to make up for the lost sales tax.

9. drozone69 says:

In the not so distant future books will be illegal.Only electronicically monitored print will be allowed.Books will be like alcohal in prohabition days,and drugs like today.An underground market,which will be revenue producing for law enforcement as well.Mark my words

10. Joseph Pearl says:

Sad story. They are closing our store in Bakersfield.

Joseph Pearl