Celebrate Thai New Year With RockSugar
Chef Mohan Ismail, Executive Chef of RockSugar Pan Asian Kitchen in Century City, made Pad Thai in the KCAL 9 studios on Monday at noon just in time for the Thai New Year on April 13.
Chef Ismail will also be demo-ing this recipe and others in a “Foods from Bangkok” cooking class on March 19 at RockSugar.
Pad Thai Recipe
2 fz. Canola Oil
3 oz. shrimp, peeled
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
8 oz. Pad Thai noodles soaked
1 tsp. garlic, minced
4 tbls. Pad Thai paste (below)
2 tbls. chicken stock
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 tsp. Fish sauce
2 oz. bean sprouts
2 tbls. chopped green onions
2 tbls. toasted and crushed peanuts
2 lime wedges
1. Heat wok to slightly smoking.
2. Add canola oil and heat quickly to a light sizzle. This should take 2-3 seconds.
3. Season the shrimp with salt and add to the wok.
4. Sauté quickly until just cooked through. This should take about 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add the noodles and garlic to the wok and stir quickly to prevent sticking.
6. Add the paste ,chicken stock, sugar, salt and fish sauce to the noodles and stir to incorporate.
7. Crack the egg on the side of the wok and scramble slightly.
8. Toss the noodles with the scrambled egg.
9. Add the bean sprouts and green onions to the noodles and stir to incorporate.
10. Transfer to a serving plate
11. Sprinkle the peanuts randomly over the noodles and serve.
12. Place the lime wedges on the edge of the plate.
Pad Thai Paste
1/2 cup Canola oil
2 oz. garlic, minced
1 cup tamarind paste
1 oz. paprika
2 tbls. ketchup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 oz. Kosher Salt
4 tbls. fish sauce
- Heat oil in a pot to a light sizzle.
- Add the garlic to the pot and sweat till light golden.
- Add the tamarind paste, paprika, ketchup, sugar and salt to the garlic and cook over low heat till all the sugar has dissolved.
- Stir constantly to prevent sticking.
- Add the fish sauce and stir to incorporate.