LAPD Eases Impound Rules At DUI Checkpoints

LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) — Los Angeles police say they are changing rules for impounding cars of unlicensed drivers at sobriety checkpoints, after criticism that the department was targeting illegal immigrants.

Chief Charlie Beck tells the Los Angeles Times that he eased the rules after immigrant rights groups brought up the issue in recent meetings.

Previous protocols called for officers at checkpoints to impound a car whenever the driver did not have a valid license — whether or not the driver was drunk.

Under the new guidelines, police will attempt to contact the registered owner of a stopped vehicle, and if that owner is a licensed driver who can respond to the checkpoint in a “reasonable period,” the car will be released to them. The unlicensed driver will still be cited.

KNX 1070’s Ed Mertz talked with Mothers against Drunk Driving (MADD) Director Tina Pasco, who expressed concern over the policy change.

Pasco said LAPD Assistant Chief Michel Moore assured her that drivers with suspended or revoked licenses for impaired driving would not be offered the same opportunity to have a driver pick them up.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. PL says:

Unfair to us legally licensed and registered owners!!!!!

1. Black American says:

For this City to care, you have to be an illegal. Otherwise pay your taxes, support businesses that pay their taxes and don’t send 80% of your taxed earnings out of our economy into a crime infested, children raping, women killing, country like Mexico. Oh wait, the problems in Mexico is caused by Americans.

What was I thinking?

1. punisher says:

Let’s deport the lazy crack smoking blacks

2. Lolo Brown says:

Hey Black American, sounds to me like you have a real bad case of the “KING OF CLUBS” syndrome like your cousin Rodney King!
        KING OF CLUBS! KING OF CLUBS! KING OF CLUBS!

2. lon heart says:

enough of this kissing illegal Mexican a@@es . what alot of us are doing is finding if our housekeepers , landscapers etc etc are illegal mexicans . fire them . hire legals . reward those who obey laws .

2. drozone69 says:

looks like Maria had a few to many Margaritas in our picture.

3. gordo says:

Once again illegal aliens can break the law with impunity. If they are unlicensed they also don’t have insurance so if they get in an accident, the people they hit get to pay for the damages and medical treatment. I know, it happened to me to the tune of about $20,000.

1. Carlos A. Mexican says:

Hey fat ass! Why don’t you add uninsured motorist coverage to your auto policy? Then your dumb ass would need only pay the applicable deductible for a covered accident. Geez! Even this product of public education knows how to shop for/buy adequate auto insurance!
      By the way, I’m a brown man (1st generation us citizen) and last year I earned over $125k, took about 8 weeks of PAID VACATION, and my family of 7 enjoy excellent medical/dental benefits!
      Thanks to all you “legal” citizens for being so preoccupied with the “other” class of citizens that you render yourselves non-viable! My next promotion will put me at $154k base! Don’t be jealous!
      ONLY IN AMERICA!
      -Carlos A. Mexican
      Woodland Hills, CA (yes people, WH address, deal with it!)

1. concerned citizen says:

Great I think Edguardo says it all and he’s a Latino.

2. Proud Legal Citizen says:

Hey moron you may think you know alot, but why do you expect others to over pay for insurance and other services because your illegal buddies drive without a license and insurance. You are just another bleeding heart moron.

3. Rick says:

The tools of your trade include knee pads & a bib!

Is your next promotion giving 25 BJ’s a day instead of 10?

4. mikey says:

Chief Beck you are a testicullery challenged person and have no guts either

5. MB man says:

The previous policy was unfair to ILLEGAL immigrants? Huh? I think the current tax codes unfairly targets those that are here legally.

6. Matt says:

Targeting illegal immigrants? Fine, they’re illegal. Isn’t the point of law enforcement to target people breaking the law?

7. ILLEGALS WIN AGAIN says:

Pretty good thing is that i’ve a few years left before i retire & the 1st thing i retire is to move the heck out of LA. Probably somewhere in Northern Cal, Oregon, or Washington where illegals don’t run the City/state.

1. Not newsworthy says:

Good bye bye

2. CHARLIE SHEEN-O says:

YUP ILLEGALS WILL WIN AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT CAUSE USA LOVES US!!!! HAHAHAHAH

8. John Smith says:

Amazing! The LAPD might as well just hand out green cards on the spot and let these illegals go. The tax payers pay the LAPD to enforce existing laws and not to create their own. “Mr. Illegal I know you just shot and killed somebody about a block away from this check point but since you don’t have proper identification, I’m gonna have to ask you to call your buddy to come drive you home tonight. Have a wonderful night.”

9. John Smith says:

The LAPD never seems to stop amazing us. First Rodney King, then Jeffrey Stenroos and now this…

10. illegals ruining America says:

I was rear ended by ILLEGAL who was driving on a suspended license & no insurance. Suffered cuts & bruises & my insurance company had to pick up the entire hospital bills & uninsured motorist $$$. After that, my insurance premiums went up too as a result of this accident. I had to switch insurance company coz of it. My insurance company said it’s simply too costly to do business in California & that is why the rates went up.

1. Lauranium says:

What a moron. Illegals can’t have a “suspended” license. You just found a lazy person who didn’t bother to have insurance. Did you know that even illegals can buy auto insurance without a license?

11. drozone69 says:

You all can thank Israely lobbyist who control the White House for these kind of decisions against you and I.Remember prop 287,down the drain as all the others have and will be.Thank you Arizona!

12. Sandra says:

If they are stopped and found to be illegal, then call Immigration and if they are illegal and drunk, put them in the slammer and do your job. There are more illegals driving without licences and insurance BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL. What’s so hard to understand here. They buy or cars for cash or steal them, they are not registered and no insurance so how is anyone going to know unless the police stop them and put a stop to all this.

If I don’t pay my registration and pay my insurance, they will impound my vehicles. This is so unfair.

When are the lawmakers and the ones that are supposed to enforce the laws going to get some balls and do their job?

We are becoming a state of greasy, lard tacos!

1. MOZZER says:

HEY I THIN K YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR SELF..JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE IN A BETTER POSITION YOU THINK THE WAY YOU THINK .I’M PRETTY SURE IF YOU WERE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN YOU WOULD DO THE SAME THING THEY DO TO SURVIVE.SANDRA

2. deal with it says:

yeah greasy Tacos and thats what you eat dont lie i know you love those tacos

13. MOZZER says:

ILLEGALS THIS ILLEGALS THAT,STOP COMPLAINING ALREADY WITH OUT THOSE ILLEGALS THIS COUNTRY WILL FALL INTO A DEEPER HOLE,WHAT ABOUT ALL THAT CHEAP LABOR I DON’T SEE NONE OF YOU WORKING ON THE FIELDS FOR THE MINIMUM WAGE,THEY ARE USE TOO THAT KIND OF WORK AND THEY KNOW HOW TO DO IT.YOU WOULDN’T LAST A DAY OUT THERE.,YOU GUYS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT INSURED WELL IT’S NOT THEIR FAULT THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE A VALID DRIVING LICENSE.,STOP THE HATE THE END IS NEAR

1. think about it says:

If California wold let them get A drivers licence the ” Illegals” wold get Insured and the state would make money form everyone that gets there drivers Licence and then registration for there car and then the insurance company would make money.

And people need to stop crying I know many people that have a licence but no insurance cuz they say its to expensive

14. Momma says:

The law is not just targeting illegal immigrants, I suggest you all do your homework. Do you forget that Canadians can also be illegal immigrants and their borders are not a target like our southern borders.

15. brown-and-proud says:

Lots of oppressed whites,blacks and coconuts.If they had drivers licenses they would buy insurance like most drivers. unfortunately this is not a law related issue but a racial issue. The lapd was always targeting illegals, since all checkpoints always take place in poor neigborhoods.

16. BROWN PRIDE says:

White people are ignorant. They need to get an education.

1. johhny says:

Im looking in my toliet at some brown pride, we should do the same thing I am going to do and flush the illegals back to mexico

17. Westcoast Locos says:

LoL @ Whites acting like whiny B!tches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If yall rich enuff, no need to mesh in with the Ghettos of LA, yall be in ur rich are & no run-ins with ILLEGALS.

I FEEL SORRY FOR “DOWN AND OUT WHITE TRAILOR TRASH” WHO ON A REGULAR BASIS HAVE TO MESH IN WITH THE POOR MAJORITY OF LA. IF YOU ARE WHITE & YOU ARE POOR, THEN CHANCES OF YOU SEEING CRIMES INCREASES DRAMATICALLY.

Go get an Education & find a job you Stupid White Fools & leave the Ghettos to the poor population.

1. Rick says:

So is this your idea of a better life Westcoast? Are you and your boys always going to be poor? No aspirations to leave yor ghetto? G@@D! Stay in your little barrio. When any natural/man made disaster occur we should let your ‘Lil Hoods burn!! Chances are the firefighters that would save your 4 foot A$$ would be White anyway!!! A bad a$$ like your tiny self or the rest of your litter would not deserve the tax payer to flip the bill.
      Now, go bang your tiny little chest.

18. White Trash says:

LoL @ yall living in the Ghetto & having to deal with crime.

19. Edgardo Diaz says:

Let’s say I break into your house

A lady wrote the best letter in the Editorials
    In ages!!! It explains things better than all
    The baloney you hear on TV.

Her point:

Recently large demonstrations have taken place
    across the country protesting the fact that Congress
    is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration.

Certain people are angry that
    the US might protect its own
    borders, might make it harder
    to sneak into this country and,
    once here, to stay indefinitely.
    Let me see if I correctly understand
    the thinking behind these protests:

Let’s say I break into your house.
    Let’s say that when you discover
    me in your house, you insist that I leave.
    But I say, ‘No! I like it here.
    It’s better than my house. I’ve made all
    the beds and washed the
    Dishes and did the laundry
    and swept the floors. I’ve
    Done all the things you don’t
    Like to do. I’m hard-working
    And honest

According to the protesters:
    You are Required to let me stay in your house
    You are Required to feed me
    You are Required to add me to your family’s insurance plan
    You are Required to Educate my kids
    You are Required to Provide other benefits to me & to my family

If you try to call the police or force me out,
    I will call my friends who will picket your
    House carrying signs that proclaim my
    RIGHT to be there.

It’s only fair, after all, because you have
    A nicer house than I do, and I’m just
    Trying to better myself. I’m a hard-working
    And honest, person, except for well,
    You know, I did break into your house
    And what a deal it is for me!!!

I live in your house, contributing only a
    Fraction of the cost of my keep, and
    There is nothing you can do about it
    Without being accused of cold,

uncaring, selfish, prejudiced, and
    Bigoted behavior.

Oh yeah, I DEMAND that you learn
    MY LANGUAGE!!! so you can
    Communicate with me.

Why can ‘t people see how ridiculous
    This is?! Only in America .
    If you agree, pass it on (in English)

If not blow it off………
    Along with your future Social Security
    Funds, and a lot of other things.

20. c-man says:

Once again, hispanics getting their way. Anytime they don’t like something, they protest and get their way. Anytime they dont like the law, they protest and we give in.

1. pedro javier enriquez gomez sanchez jr says:

What’s the c stand for colored HAHAHAHA!!!!!

21. jstnLA says:

I wish we were back in the 50s, when we had everything under control. things are too out of hand. God Bless America.

22. Mozlover says:

Mozzer was the first one to make sense but few more followed. Illegals pay taxes too, they work, and believe it or not some of them have insurance. And I’ve said it before everyone came here illegally one point or another. No one can say there ancestors are American because they is no such thing. My father came to the us as an illegal when he was 16 almost 38 years ago!! And I couldn’t be prouder that he crossed the river, jumped the fence, and walked the dessert! Cause if he didn’t I would probably wouldn’t excist! Instead I have a masters in license clinical social work, my sister has a masters in marriage family therapy, and my lol sister is getting a B.A in liberal studies in education. And my parents never received food stamps, cal works, medical or any government assistant. And at the age of 51 my mom got a b.a from csu monterey bay in liberal studies.. Go illegals

23. Rich says:

You are truly an IDIOT!!!!!!

24. Marco says:

Lol….LAPD….U gotta be kiddin me?!?!?!?

Really?!??

No…Really!?!??

25. Juan says:

Mexicans contribute to the economy more than anyone else

1. Lolo Brown says:

Well last year this product of “illegals” contributed about $35,000.00 in federal/state income taxes. That’s probably more than you earned all year!

1. Mike says:

Who did you steal the money from? I know you didn’t earn it. Stupid Mo!

2. Steve says:

You’re bragging about your criminal parents getting away with breaking the law?

2. Mike says:

Yeah, because our insurance companies have to replace everything you people steal. That’s the only money you contribute.

3. Rick says:

Awaiting moderation for what? The truth?

26. Juan says:

California is, technically, a Mexican state that is currently being illegaly occupied by the US since the mid 1840’s, after Mexicans discovered and possesed Billions of Dollars of Gold (aka The CA Gold Rush), the US tresspassed on wagons onto the Mexican states of CA, NV, Arizona, TX, CO, and stole Mexico’s land, Gold, and Oil from Texas.,The US promised the black slaves that of they help steal Gold from the Mexicans, that they will be freed, and then the US notified the chinese and asians to come on boats from across the pacific to help them steal Gold from the Mexicans, and in return, the US promised the Asians a permanent settlement in CA, now known as ChinaTown in San Francisco.,That Gold that the US stole, is now in the US Federal reserve and that Gold is what made the US rich and indutrialized nation. Mexican Gold, is what makes this world go round.,,,In the 1500’s the Spain stold Gold, Silver from Mexico’s natives (Aztecs, mayas, Incas, etc.) and powered the European economy with Mexico’s resources.

1. jstnLA says:

Agree. Manifest Destiny.

2. MB man says:

Thank you for the fantasy lesson. What you wrote has no basis in fact or in anyway represents the real history of the region.

27. AJJONES13 says:

THIS IS SICK !!
    WHY DOES ANYONE SUPPORT THE STATE STEALING AUTOS FROM ANY AMERICAN, FOR ANY REASON ?
    UNTILL YOU PEOPLE CHANGE YOU WAY OF THINKING, AMERICA WILL REMAIN DOOMED, WITHOUT PERSONAL FREEDOMS.
    RIGHT TO TRAVEL IS NOT SOMETHING THAT CAN BE TAKEN AWAY FROM US CITIZENS, ACCORDING TO THE AMERICAN CONSTITUTION !!…YEH,…REMEMBER THAT THING ???

1. MB man says:

Driving is a privelage not a right. I guess u were sick the day the constitution was taught in 8th grade civics class

28. joe washington says:

to the guy thinking of moving to oregon or washington, they have taken this place over already. same problems as california. i have lived in the portland area for 5 years and CAN’T BELIEVE HOW FAST THIS PLACE IS MAKING THE “CONVERSION” AND GOING DOWN THE DRAIN. TO MAKE MATTERS WE HAVE A VERY LARGE NUMBER OR RUSSIANS MOVING IN. THEIR SPECIALTY? CRIME! MORAL OF THE STORY? TRY NORTHERN IDAHO OR PARTS OF MONTANA.

1. Latino 4 life!!! says:

We are taking over!!! Get use to it!!!!!! Piece ……

1. Rick says:

Its Peace Bro! Not piece!!! Let me give you an example.
        Correct use for Peace:.
        At the end of the day we all want peace.
        Correct Use for Piece:
        Latino 4 life is a piece of $hit.
        I hope you enjoyed your lesson.

29. Richard Staggs says:

I am sorry but illegal is illegal if I drove without a license I would expect my vehicle to be pounded, stop blaming white people for illegal imigrants, and the 2.4 billion taxpayer dollars they cost Los Angeles County every year. White and legal citizen.

30. Michael J. McDermott says:

Say what you will about illegal aliens but they’re not sitting in front of their little computer blowing a bunch of hot air. They are working and WORKING HARD too. Take just a minute and imagine yourself as being so desperate as to actually need to go to such lengths as to deem it necessary to leave your own country to find work. They’re not here to have fun, you know.
    Gee, you are like a bunch of little kids sitting there and calling people names playing your little game of “Hate somebody else” in front of your little “Hate Game Machine” or “Hate Terminal” if you will while there are people on this planet actually hungry.. Sheesh, you should be so desperate as to endure what these people must endure.

31. Steve says:

If an illegal alien is caught, they get to be sent home. If a US citizen steals car, they have to go to their new home: jail. Sounds fair to me.

Is it odd that people that are breaking the law don’t wanna be targetted?

Really???

32. Sober Citizen says:

The LA policy change does not give non-citizens a benefit over citizens.  Rather, all drivers (both citizens and non-citizens) are still subject to having the car impounded if they cannot find a licensed driver to drive the car within 20 minutes.  It just isn’t an automatic impound any more – for anyone.  The driver still gets a citation.  The police don’t make a determination whether the person stopped is a citizen or not.  Everyone is actually treated the same.  I for one don’t want to have the police setting up “citizen checkpoints.”. They tried that in Germany.

The crash data is not clear whether the preponderance of unlicensed drivers involved in fatal accidents are non-citizens or citizens who have lost their license for prior infractions, but the experts think it is probably the latter since those citizens have already proven they’re dangerous by doing something serious enough to result in losing their license.

Another example of wrong-wing distortion designed to stir up racism and prejudice.