Wild Chase Ends With Suspect Being Tased, Tackled

SAN DIMAS (CBS) — A three-hour chase ended Monday evening with the suspect, reportedly wearing a bath robe, being tased.

The high-speed chase  began on the southbound 5 Freeway in Valencia. It wended around just about every freeway before the pursuit finally came to an end in San Dimas.

The California Highway Patrol says the chase began just before 2 p.m. Monday when they attempted to stop a speeding car.

Initially, they reported the subject was a woman, driving a green Mercury.

Later the subject was revealed to be male.

At one point, he even stopped to refuel.

He refused to pull over and the chase began. The chase has taken the CHP on the 5, 170, 134, 210 and 605 freeways.

KCAL 9’s Derek Bell reported that the driver is topping speeds of 90 mph.

At another juncture, law enforcement backed off the chase saying they “knew” who the suspect was.

The man, taking several hits on a pipe, got out of the car and walked away.

KCAL9’s Greg Mills, reporting live from the scene, was able to stop and ask the suspect several questions before police confronted the driver.

Moments  later, police asked the suspect to stop. He refused to stop and was tased and then tackled. The suspect shook off one deputy during the take down. The suspect was then handcuffed and taken into custody.

Comments

1. johnny taco says:

he took a hit off of a pipe when he pulled into the hotel parking lot. How did you guys miss that????

1. msminnn says:

haha i thought it was a cigarette you are prob right Johnny

1. dmunny says:

@johnny taco OMG I noticed that too! how could they have missed that!!!

2. Anonymous says:

Um, the article identifies the suspect as a “she.” How did you miss THAT?

3. dee says:

um Anonymous if you had been following the chase you would know that they had conflicting reports re: the gender of the driver How did you miss that?

4. kreese says:

i totally saw that too… hit the pipe at hotel parking lot and got back on the road…

5. raul says:

i just hear at there is a accident on the 10 fwy by millkens where car should be .could it be that

6. One of the Good Guys says:

Can KCAL followup on if the CHP finually caught up to this person and why the pursue was called off? I’m just curious now. It doesn’t send a good message for all the law abiding citizens out there that depend on our officiers from this stuff (I know–it’s been heard before…). If it was called off because of all the liability-court-lawsuit-lawyer dominated “criminal wins” scenario’s—than I need say no more—-drivers may just feel like they’ll need to start taking things into their own hands again with alittle Texas justice.
    Just my little thoughts.

1. Richard says:

It’s back on KCAL @4:06 he’s still going.

2. Billy Charlson says:

to the good guy i think you have had 1 to many, i dont understand what you talking about

7. One of the Good Guys says:

Thanks for the update Richard…hope they follow this one and don’t drop it. Can’t find anything yet.

8. wondering says:

maybe this pursuit suspect is related to the mayor or some higher up official since they just let him or her get away ….

9. Julie says:

Should be running out of gas soon?

10. One of the Good Guys says:

Just a thought running in my mind too—the more we start questioning things that don’t seem right the more we can help set things right (not that I’m assuming that’s the case here but it would be nice to verify while we’re at it).
    Time for the good folks to start voicing themselves more.

11. John says:

Is the chase still going on? And what channel is it?

1. Julie says:

Last update they gave about 10 minutes ago he was in San Bernardino, still on the 10 freeway and only ch. I believe that had it is 9.

12. Joe says:

He/She is on surface streets. Seen a few local police pursuing. No CHP.

13. Joe says:

Cranked the volume and I think the Fox pilot said he has to refuel in 30 minutes but the San Bernardino airport is close by.

14. smylex says:

There are any number of reasons that ground units may be pulled off a chase. Liability is one reason, the safety of the general public is another. Most likely what may have happened was that the helicopter was in position and following from the air, thus alleviating putting the public at risk of this dummy crashing into some poor soul who just happened to be driving home from work or something.
    Also, relations to a government official have nothing to do with members of our department backing off of a chase, unless you count the Governor’s reduction of the CHP’s budget by $60 million this year.

15. travis says:

lol he is getting gas

1. joe says:

Are you watching on myfoxla?

1. travis says:

ktla.com

2. travis says:

he could not find any cash, had to take off again

16. One of the Good Guys says:

Thus my point…. lawsuits, safety (doesn’t count …you never know if the driver will still create a bigger accident later—it undermines public trust in laws being enforced at that).
    Gonna check out FoxLA…

17. joe says:

They just stopped to get gas!!

18. joe says:

Dumb mexicants! God I hate illegals!

1. Joe says:

Don’t make us Joe’s look bad.

19. joe2 says:

Why don’t they drive to or near the airport where the chopper can’t follow em

20. One of the Good Guys says:

Noting I have no doubt the CHP officiers want nothing more than to catch the guy! That alone has to be frustrating for them as well as the general public!

21. JC says:

Fox just lost ’em!

22. One of the Good Guys says:

Thank you KCAL…live again.

23. DarealJOE says:

for all u fakers this is the real Joe. I say beat em like rodney king got beat. Not only did he deserve it I enjoyed watching the beating of than animal!

24. The original non-racist Joe says:

Myfoxla lost them!!

25. KKK says:

Can’t we all just get along? NO!!!!!!

26. One of the Good Guys says:

Yeap..they left again. I can’t get the FOXLA.COM live feed as I don’t had the plug-in.
    Just pull the guy over..how fricking hard is this to do?? Frustrating–where’d our society’s common sense go? Oh yeah…lawyers..forgot.

27. KKK says:

Hey Brownhide, leave Joe alone and pick me some more fruit boy!

28. ArabforAmerica says:

Just bomb him from the sky my friend!

29. Brownpride says:

KKK you are an idiot with that dufus hat over your head. Go back to alabama where u belong. We don’t take kind to your kind around here. How does it feel to be the minority now you moron!

30. Isreali Pride says:

arabforamerica go blow yourself up at a camel race! LOL!

31. PinoyPride says:

We Filipinos are the dominant race here!

1. punisher says:

That’s a joke

32. Dina Saidi says:

I wonder if Charlie Sheen is the driver!!!!

33. Blackpower says:

Y don’t u asians go fly a dragon kite and fix me an orange chicken combo!

34. Dina Saidi says:

OK KKK you are my master and I will go back to India just for you

35. One of the Good Guys says:

I give up….KCAL…you let me down. Great knowing what food I can eat if I’m CRANKY.
    The fact the driver hasn’t been pulled over by now just means something ain’t right or we’re just crippled by our own bureaucracy or someone’s get friends in high places.
    Gonna check out some other sites and followup on this one.

36. dbay says:

so have they caught the guy yet???? does anyone know?

37. Dina Saidi says:

hey dont use my name and put words in my mouth i did not say!!!! I;ll sue you!!

38. thepolice says:

KKK you’ve been reported

39. julie says:

whats going on with the chase? Is it over?

40. jenjen says:

OMGGG i wish it was on tv already lol i like how the person followed the laws of the road when getting off the freeway and stopped at the motel? did this person stop to get gas ? and y cant chp ram the guy already ..

41. Chrisdog says:

he’s still going. Channel 2. Looks like the news van is keeping up with him too.

42. One of the Good Guys says:

NBC reported the CHP was just going to catch them later so “no one would get hurt”. Let’s all just where PILLOWS around us. Life is a risk–I’ll take that gamble if the CHP wants to pull them over. What’s so DIFFICULT about pulling a flipping car over that’s been on the road for HOURS…that’s not a RISK? what a joke.

43. One of the Good Guys says:

I say we just get a big group of community folkstogether and tackle the car and take car of this like common sense people. Seriously… even if the driver is looking for attention… so WHAT..pull him over when he commits the crime and fine him $500,000. I’m remember this next time I “might” be speeding and get pulled over within 5 minutes.

44. jenjen says:

they had SO MANY oppurtunities to catch him 3 hrs ago

45. jenjen says:

i just cant believe they are going to catch him later, by that time he could be in mexico or where ever he is. and channel 2 is on commerical😦 cuz ktla 5 helicopter lost him or something.. t his is just funny. idk whats so hard about this

they had SO MANY oppurtunities to catch him 3 hrs ago

46. One of the Good Guys says:

Is anyone watching how absolutely ridiculous this whole fiasco is? My God—this is absolutely a circus. I’d like an explanation on what law enforcement is thinking..after HOURS of this circus. This needs a good followup story!
    KCAL/CBS..thank you for resuming the story!!!! Kudos!

47. One of the Good Guys says:

No kidding…3 hours just to apprehend someone who clearly was breaking the law. I’ll remember this one ….. my faith in our law enforcement ‘commanders’ (not the guys in the cars) is not very high at this point. Glad SOMEONE finually stopped it… I was ready to just get in my car and take care of myself for pete’s sake!
    Again, THANKS KCAL on the fantastic followup and questioning the oddity of it!

48. jay lewis says:

SPIKE STRIPS NOW!

49. One of the Good Guys says:

Spike strips that would actually be “used” within 3 HOURS would help too. Ha.

50. jenjen says:

did it finally stop and how ? i was cooking

51. jenjen says:

i know they pit manuvered him around 230 lol i would have double whammed him hit him head on if i was a cop

52. One of the Good Guys says:

It was really weird jenjen. KCAL did a live followup when the guy got out of the car and was walking down a sidewalk. There were reporter vans everywhere right beside him FILMING him before any law enforcement was there. Than a CHP unit came in and they did a quick foot pursue and apprehended him….. I’ve seen tons of pursuits but nothing like this..really ODD.

53. One of the Good Guys says:

CBS news will be doing a followup news broadcast coming up at 6pm

54. jenjen says:

lol he must have been high as a kite. this was one of the weirdest chases i have ever seen lol .

55. One of the Good Guys says:

No kidding…he was on the earlier film footage allegedly lighting up in the car after the pursuit was called off just after the chase began. THAT’S when things should of been taken absolutely finalized and why I got a bit irritated nothing was being done.

56. One of the Good Guys says:

Good job Greg Mills…. thank goodness SOMEONE was keeping on him!

57. One of the Good Guys says:

There’s a good reason halt a pursuit….let a person stay on the road while high for 3 hours. (OK…I’m off my podium).

58. jenjen says:

lol the motel was a perfect spot to get him especially since he freaking parked and took off his seat belt LOL

59. beachbum29 says:

I never would have known about the chase but I found this twitter page
    carchasealert They will notify you when a chase is on

60. k says:

this was fun too watch so

61. CHASE LUVR says:

WHAT ARE THE COPS THINKING????????????????????????????????
    Craziest Police Pursuit on TV.

Police: FAIL
    Suspect: EPIC WIN

Never seen such a crazy thing. EPIC, EPIC, EPIC FAIL for CHP & PD.

This is just the last 10 minutes of the chase. So a CBS helicopter was still following the suspect. The suspect, a white male, pulled over and parked on the side of the street. He got out of the car and started walking down the street. He had something in his hand that he was playing with, turns out it was a cigarette or something and he started smoking. He walked down the street for about 2 minutes before a CBS news van pulled up along next to him. And a camera got out and walked right up to him. Then all of the sudden there were about 3 additional extra cameraman walking around with him as if he was famous and they were paparazzi, just about a foot from him. The suspect got frustrated with them because they were all around him so he started walking through a business center and cut across a grass lawn into a parking lot. Keep in mind he was wearing a bath robe the entire time. Finally a cop car shows and up in the parking lot and the cops get out of the car and walk up to him. The suspect started running and he was really fast and outran the cops. “Run Forest Run!!!” Then the cops got back in their car and drove up to him again. Once again the cops got out of their cars and the suspect started running again. Only by this time the suspect was so tired he could run very fast. I guess you shouldn’t smoke in the off chance that you are ever in a police pursuit. Finally the cops hit him with a Taser gun and he went down. 3 hours and 15 minutes later they finally caught their man.

62. One of the Good Guys says:

Chase Luvr— Excellent Recap—the Heading says it all!

63. EatMoreBeef says:

CBS you’re officially deputized by the community! Anyone notice the guy being chased, that is,not being chased, finished up by casually parking in a red zone!!!!!!!! lmao.

64. EatMoreBeef says:

and to all those future speeders being chased remember you can now park and relax for a few minutes, refuel if you’d like and than go for a casual walk. All while smoking wacky weed. Wow.

65. pkr8ch says:

At least he got to blaze before he got tazed.😉 Come on doesn’t this demonstrate how much safer it is to drive when on weed vs. alcohol. You know if that guy had been drunk he would prob be going 150mph and slam into someone. Also couldn’t that cop have just tackled him instead of tazing him, he was going slow enough.