Authorities Identify Marine Killed In Motorcycle Crash

TEMECULA (CBS) —  Authorities identified the U.S. Marine from Temecula who was killed in a motorcycle crash in San Diego County on Presidents’ Day.

Mark Paul Thompson, 27, was riding with friends when he lost control of his 2008 Honda in the 16000 block of Highland Valley Road in Ramona shortly before 1 p.m. Monday.

Thompson, who was wearing a helmet, crashed into a tree and died at the scene, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Comments

1. Bill Dale says:

The article says the Marine was on a 2008 Honda, but that does not tell us if he was very familiar with the bike– was he the orginal owner, or had he bought it recently and was unfamiliar with it. Perhaps he had owned it for years but had spent little time with it. Statistically. A biker is far more likely to have a fatal accident in the first 600 miles than he would after he had gotten experience with that particular bike. The first hundred miles or so is critical, but the next few hundred miles can be just as critical as that is the time he is more likely to exhibit signs of over-confidence– taking turns too fast, accerating too quickly, splitting lanes in ways a more experienced rider would find unwise. I have years of daily experience on motorcycles, but sometimes I realize that during those first few months of biking, I was ridiculously lucky to have survived at all. I am terribly sorry for this man’s family.

2. A NORA says:

Your right Bill Dale, I have over 65,000 miles on my Harley in just 5 years. Anyone who rides should take the safety course it can save there life.

3. Jeffro says:

I put 35,000 on a Honda Cbr. Living in LA, i had more than a handful of scary close calls and near misses. I started riding when I was 15(dirt bikes), bought my first street bike at 20(a 250), then went on to the Cbr, then on to an Aprilia. I’ve since sold the street bikes and now ride a Harley Nightster. I can’t tell you how much more aware of you other drivers are when on a loud, piped up Harley as opposed to a street bike. Now, instead of racing from point A to point B, I cruise🙂

4. Jeffro says:

Oh, and RIP to Mark Thompson. Saying a prayer for his family.

5. Ed Rooney says:

Bike riders get what they deserve.
    Peace out

6. anonymous says:

I live off Highland Valley Road and many people drive their cars and motorcycles in an extremely reckless way. Even cyclists get hurt. This is yet another cautionary tale.