Man, Horse Killed By Train In Sun Valley

SUN VALLEY (CBS) — A 36-year-old man and his horse were struck and killed Friday by a Metrolink train in Sun Valley.

The crash was reported at 3:01 p.m. at 9370 N. San Fernando Road, said Erik Scott of the Los Angeles Fire Department. The man and his horse were both pronounced dead at the scene.

No one on the train was injured, Scott said.

The train was Antelope Valley Line train 216, according to Metrolink. Buses were sent to shuttle passengers around the area while the train was stopped.

Comments

1. lexi says:

I feel sorry for the horse, but the man should have known better! My office is right next to train tracks and we feel the vibration as it is approaching. There is no excuse for people being killed on the tracks. I am sorry for his family, my condolences.

1. Mercedes says:

Why don’t you put yourself in my shoes that is my cousin you are talking about. You should really watch what you say about people. If you got the call that your cousin was killed like that. You would be messed like my family is right now.

1. mister s says:

Then spend time with your family rather than posting on here.

2. mercedes says:

Well mister S I am spending time with my family. The only problem is that this happend in cali and I am in ARIZONA!!!!!!!! hOW ABOUT YOU WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF AND NOT WHAT I AM WRING TO OTHER ON HERE THAT COMMENT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU AND WAS NOT DIRECTED AT YOU SO SHUT YOUR FACE!!!!!

3. mister s says:

Or you could take your own advice and not worry about what others are posting here. This is an open to the public comment section, not just reserved for people claiming to be related to whoever the subject of the story is.

4. Mariano R. says:

I was on the train i seen ur “cuzin” get hit.. no disrespec but y the hell wud try too cross the train tracks wen a train is coming that really stupid

5. jewels says:

Mercedes just ignor these idoits ignorance they will loose someone close to them one day & suffer as we are now…Or maybe they have lost someone & are just heartless. Jose knows we love him & miss him & Rusty very much so lets keep our heads up & treasure the beautiful person he was not what these idiots are making him out to be.

2. D says:

I ride the AV metrolink line lexi and I have been on it when it has hit someone… a loss of life is sad… but, I can’t agree more… between the fences and signs on BOTH sides of the track even 100 feet or so that are in both English and Spanish saying “no trespassing train has right of way” and a image of a stick figure over the tracks with a a circle and slash that is the universal symbol for NO from Palmdale to Union Station… all the fencing they have and are putting up… the fact that the trains blare the horn and ring the close quarter bell at every crossing, pedestrian and roadway, and the trains head lights flashing like a cop car (in addition to the flashing red lights and bell ringing of standard rail crossing signals at these with signs that say “do not cross when lights are flashing”)… there is no excuse for anyone to be on tracks when an approaching train (freight or passenger) is coming let alone being killed by it… what does metrolink have to do to get the point across? Please for everyone’s benefit and safety… stay off the rails…

3. Mariano R. says:

I was on the train i seen ur cuzin rolli.. no disrespec but y the hell wud try too cross the train tracks wen a train is coming that really stupidt

1. kaaly2005 says:

YOU MUST BE TALKING TO YOURSELF MORONNNNN….

2. mister s says:

What doesn’t make sense to me is why the horse was on the tracks regardless of what its rider wanted. We had horses when I was a kid and I remember them avoiding dangers such as rattlesnakes and no matter how hard we tried, the horse wouldn’t budge. I dunno been a long time since I have been around them but seems odd the horse didn’t back away from the danger.

3. KF says:

Perhaps rather than blame the victim, y’all should express condolences and consider possibilities OTHER than that the victim is to blame. Perhaps the horse got it’s shoe stuck in the rails while they were crossing (some people have no choice but to cross tracks, like if they live on the other side) and the rider perished trying to save his horse. Perhaps they were crossing with plenty of room and the horse became frozen with fear for some reason. They are animals and sometimes act unpredictably. Whatever the reason, it is terribly sad and tragic, but none of you were there so how can you judge?

4. Hey_Mikey says:

It’s true, the man should have known better. Poor horse. The worst part about it is all of the Metrolink passengers that were delayed.

1. Mariano R. says:

yea i waz on the train i had 10 mins to get off the train

1. kaaly2005 says:

BOO HOO TEN MINUTES WOW WHAT A BIG DELAY DUMB ASS….OH BY THE WAY LEARN HOW TO SPELL BEFORE YOU START POSTING …….

5. Lis says:

You mean the worst part about it was the tragedy of a lost life, right?

6. Luana Michele Enriquez says:

We all know better than to be on the tracks ever. The trains are usually on schedule. It is sad and unfortunate for everyone.

7. Luana Michele Enriquez says:

Sorry for your loss.

8. juan says:

thanks for al the comments his name is jose hidalgo

9. Jen Byrne says:

i feel so bad for that horse – another newstory said that he was trying to get the horse to move, and the horse wouldn’t….
    so sad !

10. Renee says:

He may be an idiot, however it’s pretty heroic that he stayed on his horse and went down with him. He could of gotten off and let the horse get hit alone.

1. kaaly2005 says:

IDIOT HOW SAD THAT YOU WOULD CALL A DEAD MAN AN IDIOT WHEN YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW HIM .YOUR PROBABLY THE ONLY IDIOT HERE.

11. Jack Novelli says:

The riders name was Jose Hidalgo, same as the mustang, Hidalgo, that was entered in “Ocean of Fire”, an annual 3000 mile survival race across the Najd desert. Owner Frank Hopkins sold Hidalgo to Jose for 200,000 pesos. Hopkins a counterfeit cowboy was a teller of tall-tales but it appears that his lies have finally caught up with him. The Metrolink engineer obviously knew of Frank Hopkins’ fraudulent past and decided to take matters into his own hands by treating Jose and Hidalgo the horse to some frontier justice.

1. KAALY2005 says:

FOR YOUR INFORMATION HIDALGO WAS NOT THE HORSES NAME, RUSTY WAS HIS NAME AND HE WAS A BEAUTIFUL PINTO HORSE WHO JOSE LOVED CUZ HE WAS OUR HORSE…….

12. omc says:

my condolences to your family let god be the shinning light in this dark time. jose is in a better place with his horse that he loved he wouldnt of what it any differnt then to die with his horse.

13. kaaly2005 says:

ALL you STUPID and ignorant people are always ready to judge other peoples mistakes without knowing who that person was Jose Hidalgo was a great man as well as a great rider he died hes gone but his memory will live forever.and to everybody who is posting stupid comments keep them to yourselfs because we his family don’t care about them and hopefully you don’t ever lose a love one and have to deal with other peoples stupid remarks.

14. juan says:

Rest in the promise land brother i will always hold you in my prayers.
    It doesn’t really matter what everyone else may think but a loss is aloss so just be respectful tothe feelings of his family please. so with that being said MUCH LOVE Brother.

15. Pat23 says:

PLEASE HAVE RESPECT

16. Pat23 says:

ALL OF YOU POSTING THIS, PLEASE STOP. IT’S NOT FUNNY TO LOOSE A FAMILY MEMBER. I SAW THIS COMMENTS AND ITS NIT NICE OK. SO PLEASE HAVE RESPECT. RIP. JOSE HIDALGO. MY BROTHER!!

17. kaaly2005 says:

My deepest Thanks to those people who still have blood running through their veins and still have a heart to post sincere comments on my man JOSE HIDALDO that they probably knew or didn’t know him at all .And to those other people with negative attitudes and sour hearts, they must be going through it to be so cruel and nasty, hope to god they never lose a loved one in the same manner or worst lets just hope not……R.I.P BABE I LOVE YOU,MISSING YOU 03/19/75 TO 02/11/2011..

18. christian says:

i was walking towards serra clinich when that guy and that horse got runned over in front of me. as soon as i saw that i collapsed to the flour of impression. since then, im in trauma and i have deppression. RIP. all i have to say is that im sorry and i should of thrown my car at the train so it would runned me over and not them😦

-Christian

Facebook/Myspace: christianivanhernandez91@yahoo.com

19. christian says:

ohhh! and i went yesterday to drop off a candle there and hope hes at a better place🙂

20. Super Guenstige Fluege Usa says:

Sorry Desire,be after centre need previously necessary less victory treaty flat head afraid used lady alone no-one consumer themselves player politics recognise audience sound conference twice bank date all state quality nice relief surface bank article speed warm where turn manage profit come receive appearance raise hour across air rock green success notion bottom obvious reach thanks reality egg dinner wave atmosphere currently mainly voice forget attitude ministry advise cross purpose recommend enterprise page stage think sister combination among down usual factory south prevent married international shape shall