3 Members Of Family Dead In Double Murder-Suicide In Whittier

WHITTIER (AP) — Police say three people have been found dead inside a home in Whittier.

Officer Mike Dekowski says the bodies were found shortly before 7:30 p.m. Friday.

He says a family member went to the home around noon and saw a woman lying on the floor with what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the chest.

Police surrounded the home believing a suspect may be inside.

Dekowski says a SWAT team entered about seven hours later and found three people dead — a man in his 30s, another man in his 60s and a woman in her 60s.

He says officers used tear gas to enter the home and are ventilating the residence so the individuals can be properly identified.

Comments

1. Whittier Neighbor says:

Correction, CBS. Murphy Ranch Elementary is located DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET (about 150 feet) from the crime scene. If you’re going to report the story, you might want to make sure you report it correctly.

2. Family Member says:

The school issue isn’t what’s important. I don’t know why everyone keeps bringing this up as something important. This was a family matter. My family.

1. Whittier resident says:

It is a tragedy to your family. But it wasn’t just a family matter. It wasn’t until a little bit ago that they realized the condition of your family. Up until then they thought a crazy man was running the streets of Whittier directly across the street of an elementary school. I am so happy our school was thought of and our children and staff were protected. May your family rest in peace.

2. Whittier Neighbor says:

My deepest condolences to you and your family. The school is mentioned in the news story because what Mario did today affected several hundred children and their families. Will keep R & D in my prayers.

3. wendy sumerlin says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the whole family…..and your right…This was a family matter

3. malo says:

crazy stufff….whittier where the girls are prettier is all i ever heard

1. Jill carl says:

not really appropriate time to make jokes! I sent to school with Mario.

4. mom says:

the school is important when your 5yr old daughter is locked up in there. my daughter. very sorry about your family

5. warrk21 says:

Please go to departedngone and Let The World Know that we have lost a Good Life.
    Departed N Gone

6. Andrea says:

I was so sad when i found out what happened. Debbie Escobedo use to be my first grade teacher i am very sorry for your lost.

7. Cookie says:

Sorry for your Lost prayer are with your family. This is sad for the family,praying for God Shalom be with you.

8. Nonbiased says:

As a friend to both a parent of a student at Murphy Rach, as well as a friend to several individuals who worked with and respected Debie…this is a terrible loss all the way around. The student at Murphy Ranch were scared, yes, but safe in the end. The family, who fell victims was not so fortunate. this is NOT a competition, it is a terrible tragedy that has impacted families, as well as a number of students from Murphy Ranch as well as those in Pico Rivera.

9. Rev. Daniel says:

I am really sorry about your loss, We will keep you and your family in our prayers. May the Lord give you confort in this time of bereavment.
    Sincerly : your neighbour. God bless you!

Psalms:23 The Lord Is my Sheperd , I shall not want.
    He maketh me lie down in green pastures:he leadeth me besides still waters.
    He restores my soul: he leadeth me in the path of righteousness for his name’s sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me: thy rod and thy staff they confort me.Though preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

10. Lorraine says:

Mrs Escobedo was also my first grade teacher in 1996! May the lord comfort this family and they draw close to him!

11. Floored says:

I am so floored to hear about this tragedy. I played in that home as a child, and have nothing but respect for the family. I hope that “name omitted out of respect” knows we are all here for her. N

1. Floored says:

Also since the police haven’t released the victims names, I think we should omit them as well. My old friend may not have been notified by the police yet as Next of Kin.

1. Family Member says:

Agreed. Much of the family has bee notified already.

12. let us pray says:

as a near by resident, and not knowing the victims, myself and my family are still in aw that something like this could happen so close to home and in such a quiet and beautiful neighborhood. Yet it comes to show that this can happen anywhere. We are happy the kids at murphy ranch are all ok. we feel your pain, and pray for the families.

13. Kereg Bender says:

This was so sad, unnecessary and preventable. What people do to others affects the entire community.

14. Anne Walrath says:

I went to junior high and high school with Debbie, one of the sweetest people you’ll ever meet. My heart goes out to her family and her students. This is a tragic loss!

15. Willy Dee says:

Horrible, Horrible tragedy…but 7 hours for Whittier Police/SWAT to finally use tear gas and enter the house!!??!!..how long should it take when lives might be at risk or in immediate danger for them to react…I’m once again completely baffled by an excessive response of our Police force…can somebody please reasonably explain it…makes no sense at all…none

16. Former resident of Whittier says:

Willy Dee You are an idiot.

17. Jkl says:

I had a Mrs. Escobedo for 1st grade in 1988/89

1. Jkl says:

I didn’t finish… She made a really made an impression me. I will never forget her. I am so very sorry that this happened. All those who were close to her and her family are in my thoughts.

18. victoria herrera says:

I’m a 4th grade student at Murphy Ranch and when I heard about the lock down my teacher put the news on cause we were wondering what was happening & when we heard that 3 people were shot to death we all got sad & started to pray

19. Savana says:

I am now a 7th grader in Whittier, but when i was in Pico Rivera, the woman who is now dead😦 (Ms.Escebedo) was my 1st grade teacher (she worked at Magee Elementary) . It was a tragedy when i heard about this. One of the interviewers, the girl (white), was my 4th grade teacher in the same school.

20. P.R. Resident says:

Incredibly sad and tragic for the communities of Pico Rivera and Whittier. She was a loyal, dedicated and hard working first grade teacher at Magee Elementary here in Pico. She was beloved by her staff and most especially by her students. So many stories and memories are being shared. She was a proud mother and grandmother. She and her husband will be missed greatly. God Bless their family.

21. Firmer Magee fa says:

I heard the news this morning from my kids. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Mrs. Escobedo was my daughters 1st grade teacher and she was the best. She is the only teacher my daughter had that I felt so close to… My husband just adored her too. She would remind us of his grandmother. One day at the school I took a picture of her and my daughter and i will keep it close to my heart. I’m deeply saddened. I want the family to know my thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

22. Thomas Gault says:

Monica and Michelle — I used to live a couple doors down from you on Janine. I talked to your parens occasionally, and I remember seeing your father out watering the lawn by hand. My prayers are with you. — Thomas Gault