Volunteer Church Counselor Accused Of Sexual Relationship With Teen Girl

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — A volunteer church counselor arrested for having a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl may have other victims, police said.

Marcelino Tinajero, 33, was arrested on Jan. 27 and booked on suspicion of unlawful sex with a minor, Los Angeles police Officer Gregory Baek said. Tinajero was being held on $600,000 bail.

Tinajero had been working as a volunteer counselor at Shepherd of the Hills Church in Porter Ranch, where the teenage girl was a member.

Tinajero volunteered at the church since August 2009 and investigators believe he may have more victims, Baek said.

Anyone with information can call LAPD Devonshire Station detectives at (818) 832-0979, (818) 832-0978 or (877) LAPD-24-7.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. CA562DUDE says:

I need to get a t-shirt CHURH PEOPLE ARE THE BAD ONES !!!!…

2. Stinky Slit says:

Was it Juicy? Juicy enuff to warrent at least 3 years in prison and have to register as a sex offender?

He should’ve used the excuse Lawrence Taylor did, “She lied she was 19”. And maybe get Only probation instead of Jail time like Lawrence Taylor.

3. Love My Church says:

I am truly saddened for the child, her family & that man’s family & my church. Shepherd has a wonderful youth dept & programs & ministers. The youth ministry is one of the best & one my children thrived & grew in & one they loved being a part of. This man & his actions may cast a shadow over all the goodness & love this church has to offer, it usually takes just one person’s actions to make the rest look bad, but those of us who truly know this church & Pastor’s Dudley & Tim, know that their hearts are burdened by this & that they want nothing more than to help these families & to wrap them in love & prayers! I, for one, will be praying for all involved. As Pastor Tim said, these are fallen times. But we are not all of the same mind as that man. There truly are good people & good leadership at this church.

1. Howard Mirosh says:

# 1 am glade I’m not a Christian any more #2 I’m glade I don’t go to that church any more and #3 I had a 1 ½ hour meeting with Dudley Rutherford & Tim Winters two months ago. I told them then if they keep preaching sin to the people the people will just sin more. I tried to tell them, they would not listen. Yeshuw’ah took all sin away, don’t give it back to the people Amen

1. Devon says:

Wow. Sounds like you’re off your meds. You make no sense and you can’t spell. I hope the asylum catches you soon and puts you back in your padded room.

2. Howard Mirosh says:

@ Devon, Sounds like you go to that church

4. Ron says:

I’m sick of these pee-wees who ruin kids’ lives. Jail is too good for them.

5. TRUE BELIEVER says:

ONE BAD PERSON IN A CHURCH DOESN’T MAKE THE WHOLE CHURCH BAD ANY MORE THAN ONE BAD PERSON IN YOUR FAMILY MAKES YOUR WHOLE FAMILY BAD. GROW UP PEOPLE AND REALIZE THIS. TRUE CHRISTIANS ARE NOT DOING THESE THINGS BUT ARE GIVING OF THEIR TIME AND MONEY TO MAKE OUR WORLD A MORE COMPASSIONATE PLACE.

6. Witness says:

Look guys, as one of the people involved in this case, as one who is actually involved in these trials and has to deal with Marcelino’s family, lawyers, and the church, and as one who knows the Lord and is also involved in youth ministry… I need to say this much. Marcelino is a Christian. No one is immune to sin and some of the greatest men in the Bible committed some of the worst sins. Think of David and Bathsheeba, Peter denying Christ, Moses’ murder, or Samson and Delilah. Men who have a relationship with God can fall just like the worst of us, each of us should be able to attest to that. Is jail time appropriate? I would have to say so. Can we hold the now 17yr old girl accountable for pursuing Marcelino, even at times against his will? I don’t believe we should as a state, but her parents certainly should. Honestly, what we need to do as Christians is just what Pastor Tim said… pray.

1. mmj says:

OMG you must be doing it too. Why else would you blame the kid? Shame on you.

7. Howard Mirosh says:

@ Witness Your buddy may be a Christian but he is most certainly not born of YHUH
    1 John 3:9 (King James Version) 9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

8. mo says:

My daughter will no longer be attending youth group with her friend (and family). I’ve never been there and the rest of you should stay away too!