Victim’s Family Protests Plea Bargain In Deadly Crash

FONTANA (AP) — Family and friends of a woman killed in a freeway crash are protesting a plea bargain that would give the driver a year in jail.

Ashley Young, 23, is scheduled for sentencing Monday. She pleaded guilty to gross vehicular manslaughter.

Relatives and friends tell the San Bernardino Sun that they want her to serve at least four years and they want a Fontana judge to reject the plea deal. Calls by the paper to Young’s lawyer weren’t returned.

Authorities say Young had a previous DUI arrest and was driving with a suspended license when she rear-ended a car on a freeway in Fontana in October 2009.

The other car was pushed across five lanes and into a tree. Leyna Basua of Pomona was badly injured and died nine months later.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. punisher says:

Typical white trash behavior

2. pat says:

Wow, typical dumba s s response…!

3. Kay Kay Ray says:

Honestly, 1 year for taking a life? If she killed one of my family members and received such a paltry term I would be enraged. In fact I’m enraged even though I didn’t know the woman she killed. My apologies to the family of the deceased woman.

4. BoyLamont says:

The punisher’s comment was unintelligent. Coming from a blk male living in LA. She needs to be off the road forever. I would hate that I am driving 3 years from now, she hits me or someone in my family, and we die. Individuals like this should never be behind the wheel again. The reality is that she will while a young woman has lost her life. The question is who else should los their life before we say enough is enough?

5. Carol says:

Do you honestly in your heart feel that way Ed Rooney? Leyna was my cousin’s daughter. My cousin is experiencing a deep, unimaginable sorrow for having to bury her daughter who suffered for nine months. I will pray for you and those who seem to be lacking compassion and love in their lives. May God bless you so that you never have to feel that kind of pain.

6. mary says:

LEYNA BASUA WAS MY DAUGHTER’S BEST FRIEND AND HER SON’S GODMOTHER. HER LIFE WAS TAKEN CAUSED BY THIS VERY IRRESPONSIBLE IGNORANT PERSON. I AM VERY PLEASED TO HEAR THAT THERE WILL BE A CHANCE THAT JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED. LIKE THE JUDGE SAID HIMSELF THIS ASHLEY YOUNG DIDN’T SEEM TO CARE THAT SHE TOOK A HUMAN BEINGS LIFE.
    BY THE GRIN SHE HAD ON HER FACE.
    THANK GOD THAT THE JUDGE SEEN WHAT TYPE OF PERSON SHE REALLY IS DESPITE THE FACT THAT SHE WAS A WHITE GIRL THAT PROBABLY THOUGHT SHE WOULD PAY HER WAY OUT OF THIS ONE AND BE ABLE TO WALK OUT OF COUNTY JAIL. SHE WAS WRONG AND SHE WILL BE TREATED LIKE ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE IN THE SAME SITUATION AS HER. MAYBE THE FIVE YEARS SHE SPENDS WILL BE FINE AS LONG AS SHE THINKS REAL HARD ABOUT WHAT SHE HAS DONE.
    SHE SHOULDN’T BE ALLOWED TO EVER DRIVE AGAIN SHE IS TO DANGEROUS

7. Jim Dieterich says:

Ashley Young has not taken any responsibility or shown any remorse for killing Leyna Marie Basua and seriously injuring her boyfriend John Martin, after a drunk driving collision with the victoms car. Four months prior to the fatial collision, Young tried to avoid responsibility for a previous DUI in Beverly Hills, that resulted in a suspended license when she failed to appear in court. Then at the scene of the collision, Young told Califor…nia Highway Patrol officers that she was a passenger in her car, which she said was driven by a friend who fled the scene. Only after it was proven that the friend she had accused was not even in the State at the time of the collision, did Young admitted to the San Bernardino County Probation Department that she was the driver of the car. Young’s initial dishonesty with officers, and her evasiveness when they tried to contact her for follow-up interviews really shows her true charter. She never once directly showed any remorse to the victims or their family’s. And she did her best to avoid any responsibility for her actions. Now it is time for Ashley Young to deal with the consequences of her actions.

8. cathy says:

I agree with mary & jim!!!

9. Chris says:

Ashley was my friend, i do not condone what she has done at all. I still love her but what she did was wrong and yes she should be punished for it.but you all dnt knw her like her friends and family do. i do believe she is remorseful and thinks about what she has done everyday. people have different ways of showing their emotions. she can’t be depressed all the time. i am so sorry for the family she has hurt they are in my prayers.