Pat Harvey Exclusive: Gardena Shooting Victim Speaks Out

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — CBS 2 Anchor Pat Harvey spoke exclusively Friday evening with one of the students shot and wounded Tuesday at Gardena High School.

She spoke with Trendell, a 15-year-old boy, and his mother, Anita about his ordeal. And about her plans to file suit against the LAUSD.

Trendell was shot in the neck. The bullet went through him and then hit a 15-year-old girl in the head. That student remains in critical condition.

Trendell considers himself lucky.

He told Harvey the whole incident happened “like it was slow motion”, he didn’t even realize he’d been shot. “I was in a lot of pain. But I didn’t know I was shot. I just felt tremendous pain in my back. And then I felt all this blood.”

“I didn’t know what to think,” he says, matter-of-fact, from a bed in his home. “I heard a loud boom and I saw smoke. I thought it could have been a bomb, or an earthquake. All I knew I was down and there was a lot of blood.”

Trendell was taken to the nurse’s office while waiting for an ambulance. He also revealed he was left alone for what “felt like a half hour. I thought I was going to pass out.”

Then panic set in. While waiting for help to arrive, Trendell was sure he was a goner. “I thought I was going to die. My heart was beating so fast.”

Trendell told Harvey that his class emptied out. Including the student who allegedly bought the weapon in his backpack. “He was shocked himself.”

In her exclusive interview, Trendell’s mother told Pat Harvey why she has retained the Cochran firm to represent her son.

While school officials say it is routine to scan students at random for weapons, Trendell maintained to Harvey, “The school needs more security. They never search you. That doesn’t happen.”

Comments

1. JOHN GHOLAR says:

TRENDELL GHOLAR IS MY BROTHER AND MY FAMILY IS STAYING STRONG IN THIS ORDEAL….mY FAMILY THANKS EVERY ONE FOR THEIR SUPPORT

2. Garcia says:

HI, im from Brazil and pray for your brother!

3. Charlie says:

Sounds like the kid already has embellished his story for the sake of the lawsuit.

I don’t believe for a second he was left alone for any period of time.

I’m sure the mother is already planning how she will spend all the millions she thinks she will get from a lawsuit. She’s probably spending more time on that than caring for her son.

4. realtimeeffect says:

WHAT A CLASSLESS COMMENT…IS IT RADICAL RACISM BEHIND IT?LETS JUST HOPE ALL THE KIDS FULLY RECOVER INCLUDING THE KID WITH THE GUN….

1. the says:

realtimeeffect’s comment is an example of ALL CAPS racism.

5. care says:

The best thing the mom could have done is not even mention a lawsuit, focus on the recovery of her child. Wishing you a healty recovery

6. rankin says:

Did she say anything about the gunman, his family? only johnny cochran.

7. Barbara Gatlin says:

this mom is doing what any real mom should do .she could have lost her child and 4 what schools 2 lazy 2 do there jobs. please

8. Pepina says:

Lawsuit…. And we wonder why so many of us feel our country is in jeopardy.

9. GC1008 says:

Trendell, I’m glad you’re still with us.

A couple of things really bother me about this. First, the teacher walking a gunshot victim to the nurse. Don’t these teachers get any basic first aid training? They shouldn’t be walking him anywhere. And although the nurse probably responded to the girl who was shot in the head, who would leave a gunshot victim alone? As for the mother immediately going to a lawsuit… Trendell, if policies weren’t followed you have a right to seek compensation, but don’t let a bunch of adults turn this into a greedy money grab and publicity nightmare that twists your life around. I’m so sorry you had to go through this. It’s scarey and you should only have to deal with homework, not this. Hang tough big guy.

10. Josh Butts says:

So they left him alone in the nurses office for about 40 minutes? Why the hell would you do that? A 15 year old was shot and then he is left alone not knowing what is happening. Why didn’t someone stay with him during that time? Just one person to stay with him. That’s Bull!!! LAUSD should be sued just for that.

11. john gholar says:

First of all my family don’t care about the dumb ass lawsuit charlie and how low of you to comment we are more focused on my brother my family don’t need it we are proud he is alive.. We are mid class family.. The lawsuit don’t mean anything my mother is a wonderful woman who is very supportive

12. DD says:

I pray for the full recovery for BOTH students who were injured. I am saddened that a Mom is already counting dollars at the expense of her son.

1. JOHN GHOLAR says:

My MOM WORKS FULLTIME A VERY HARD WORKER SHE NOT COUNTING ANY MONEY AT MY BROTHER EXPENSE ………………………..THE SCHOOL SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWED LAUSD LAW THAT WAS AFFECTED AS 1993….U PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MY FAMILY IS GOING THROW AS WELL AS THE GIRL’S FAMILY…. WE ARE PROUD OF MY BROTHER RECOVERY OUR MAIN FOCUS AND CONCERN ONCE AGAIN IS THE HEALING OF BOTH THE GIRL AND MY BROTHER…..WHAT IF IT WAS YOUR SON OR DAUGHTHER GOING TO SCHOOL FOR EDUCATION AND GETS SHOT….

1. ashley says:

Don’t worry about wat these ppl are sayin john. They kno they would do the same thing if that was their son or daughter , becuz it is tru , we don’t expect 2 go 2 skool & get shot. I’m glad trendell is well & healing…

13. anissa says:

the comments on this is just frickin crazy! how about the gun toting teenager was BLACK! how can it be racism???? the school did NOT do their jobs to ensure the kids safety on the campus! the gun toting boy made it through security without being detected. I don’t care if Trendell was left alone or whether the community believes that he was….but he said he was and that is a strong possibility since the schools are under staffed! Gholar family…you all r n my prayers! a law suit should be filed since the district obviously did not do their part in protecting your loved one! people get a grip prior to commenting on any news issue. It is your right to have an opinion……but not everyone has to hear it!