Baby Suffers Burns On Both Legs From Apartment BBQ
ANAHEIM (CBS) — A 6-month-old baby was seriously burned Monday when flames from a barbecue reached her stroller, authorities said.
Firefighters were called to an apartment complex in the 1100 block of Onondaga Avenue at 2:23 p.m., said Maria Sabol of the Anaheim Fire Department, who said the infant suffered burns on both legs.
Sabol said the stroller was about four feet away from the barbecue but it was not immediately clear how the accident occurred. A nearby plastic table was also burned, she said.
A man — who one witness identified as the baby’s father — also was hurt, but his injuries did not appear to be serious, according to reports from the scene.
Sabol, citing a preliminary estimate, said the baby suffered burns over at least 20 percent of both legs.
The witness said the child’s condition was described at the scene as critical, though Sabol said could not confirm the report.
(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)