Parents Want School To Expel 1st-Grader For Allegedly Stabbing, Choking Students

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Parents lined up at Fremont Elementary School on Thursday evening to voice their concerns about what they say is a violent threat to their kids right in their own classroom: a first-grade boy we’ll call “John”.

While the meeting called specifically to address the boy was moved to Jan. 21, parents at this Montebello primary school have called on administrators to remove John for allegedly stabbing a fellow first-grader before the Christmas holiday break.

John reportedly used a pocket knife in the attack, but the principal maintains it was merely a pair of tweezers.

Parents say the alleged victim never returned to school, but it’s unclear why.

John, who reportedly comes from the same family as one of the teens who was recently killed on a Montebello overpass in a train collision, is also accused of choking at least one other student at the school.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Not PC says:

Spare the rod…

1. Star says:

This is so sad… Why is no one crying out to help this poor little guy? He is lashing out because things are not right at home. He needs someone to lift him up… This is so horrible.

1. Sanityforus says:

help the ‘poor’ little guy ? He apparently is helping himself. He NEEDS intervention and FAST

2. Nancy Alexander says:

I am replying to Mike Galanos statement on HLN. Should the 6 year old be expelled. Yes he should be home schooled and see professional help for anger management. With the incidents that have been happening in our country we can’t take the chance of any more children getting hurt.

3. Just another person commenting on comments. says:

I agree with Nancy, as well as the person I am replying to. I do believe that he is doing these things due to the fact that his parents are not right to him and he is not in the proper living style. If he gets some anger management, then that could help. But still, an intervention? Really? He is six years old and probably doesn’t know what an intervention is. Telling him he is in a calming environment won’t help him. There is the possibility that his parents don’t punish him when he does something wrong, and he is probably lashing out to get attention and get his parents to support what he does. However, he should be put on temporary expulsion until he can seek anger management and possible mental therapy, due to the fact that he doesn’t care what he does or about the people he hurts.

4. Barbara Gordon says:

It’s very difficult for adults to come to terms with mental illness in children, but it occurs more frequently than you might think. We don’t know the particulars of this…Are there devoted, caring parents involved, or is this child possibly the product of fetal alcohol syndrome, drugs, abuse, neglect?
        Too complex to go into here, but sometimes teachers’ hands are tied by law, and physical, logistic problems. Until this child is removed from the classroom and undergoes extensive therapy/testing for some explanation of his behavior, everyone is suffering.

2. eric says:

It doesn’t matter if they were tweezers or a knife, the kid does not belong in school! Arguments and fights happen when kids are together but once a weapon gets involved that is too far. I’m surprised he wasn’t arrested.

1. Spectre says:

ARRESTED?! He’s a BABY. Deny a six year old kid the opportunity to be educated for the rest of his life because of two disturbing incidents? Get the kid someone to talk to. Don’t just kick him out of school and ruin the rest of his life because overreacting is easier. If we expelled every bully from every school, we’d have a LOT of really dumb, really mean people walking around in America.

1. Nick says:

What about the educational rights of the others students that aren’t exhibiting stereo-typical pre-serial killer behavior? He is clearly a distraction. This kid can still be home schooled, or transfered to another school better prepared to handle kids that require you to put the lotion on it’s skin or else…..you get where I’m going. Not all kids are misunderstood. Not all kids deserve a second chance, especially when they are repeat offenders. Now we’re into 4th and 5th chances. Most of the time, I agree that parents tend to go to extremes when it comes to protecting their children. However, I think he is giving them reason to worry time, and time, and time again. This really is a clear pattern of behavior, and it is not an unrealistic assumption to say that this kid will go on to hurt someone far worse than he has already.

Side note: this part is just irresponsible journalism. While newsworthy on it’s own, really has nothing to do with this story, and comes off as CBS trying to attract sympathy for this vile kid. Some kids are just bad from the get go. This kids behavior started long before:

2. tiffany says:

We do.

3. thecanimal says:

The brat should be sterilized and sent to live with Spectre

4. Melissa says:

The kid obviously has serious mental problems, and you want to ignore it. This kid needs to be in a school that can deal with his special needs, not in a regular school. His life is NOT ruined. There are other schools, you know.

5. ChrisAnn says:

You are forgetting that we already have “a LOT of really dumb, really mean people” walking around in America.That is why there is over reaction. This child should be home schooled, and also have some major councling. After a year or so he should have a probation period, “mixture of home schooling and public schooling”, to make sure that the child has a good transition back into a public school enviornment. Expulsion is for someone who will have no chance in the future to really make something of themselves, unless they are in the penal system using taxpayer money to get a GED. Even then it’s not a guarentee that person will be a productive individual…

6. Terri Herrera says:

WHAT KIND OF BABY COMES TO SCHOOL DOING THINGS LIKE THAT OBVIOUSLY HES NOT IS A GOOD ENVIRONMENT TO BE REPEATING THINGS SUCH AND SOCKING CAUSING A BLACK EYE AND BUSTING ANOTHER STUDENT LIPS OPEN REPEATING WORD FOR WORD “IF YOU TELL ON ME ILL GET MY DADS GUN AND KILL YOU ” YOU THINK A BABY WOULD BE SAYING THINGS LIKE THAT IF HE WAS RIGHT IN THE HEAD ..WHAT THEY MEAN BY EXPELLING THIS BOY FROM SCHOOL IS TO GET HIM HELP! YOU NEED TO KNOW THE WHOLE STORY BEFORE YOU SPEAK!

7. Concern Parent- says:

dumb people, this may be coming from someone that is not a PARENT!

8. Crysee Edson says:

Dude…he stabbed someone and tried to choke someone. That is attempted murder.

9. Serious? says:

Are you not considering the safety of the other children in this classroom? His “right” to an education ends when he infringed on the rights of the other children to have a safe classroom!!

10. junior says:

Spectre and Nick, how about a compromise? Send the kid to a shrink and don’t let him back in school until the shrink okays it.

11. dafcpa says:

And we don’t already. Give me a break!

12. shawn says:

yeah a baby socialpath. they would need to have him checked out but this could be the first steps before he kills someone. would u want him to pull a weapon out on your kid. baby my hindparts

13. cronewinter says:

The rights of one violent child do not overshadow the rights of the rest of the class to get an education. John needs mental health help now and should not be returned to the classroom until he is deemed a non threat to the rest of the kids. Violent behavior in children often foreshadow violent behavior in adults. Put a stop to it now and John may be provided with the tools he needs to live a productive life. Pamper and protect John now and he may be spend much of his live in prison, or worse an uncaught violent criminal.

14. Tina says:

Why did a 6 year old have a knife or tweezers to begin with? School bullies need to be stopped! When I was in Kindergarten I was bullied by a 1st grader too. He would beat me up daily, and no one, not even the teachers, would stop him,

15. sanityforus says:

Which is why we apparently have YOU

16. District Parent says:

I SMELL A LAWSUIT READY TO BE FILED!! IT IS NOT SO MUCH WHAT HAPPENED BUT THE POSSIBLE DOLLAR SIGNS TO BE GAINED. so sad for the district!

2. EMW says:

Suprised he wasn’t arrested?? The boy is 6!!! If anything the attention needs to be focused on the parents childraising skills. I’m pretty sure this boy doesn’t get the discipline he needs at home, which is extremely important. Even though i don’t believe physical discipline works with every child, i do believe the kids who probably should get it don’t…

Expelling the student would only make matters worst and direct his life toward more possible crimes… They need to get child services involved or something to settle whats going on in the home…

3. Erosas says:

The kid doesnt belong in school? That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. The situation needs to be dealt with. There is obviously something deeper going on then just a bad kid. He is acting out for a reason. He is only in 1st grade. He isnt a teenager!

4. JordanWest says:

eric, you realize he’s 6 years old right? Violence in school is not appropriate, but come on arresting a 6 year old!

3. th says:

I agree with eric!!!!!

1. Lori Stein says:

Do you really believe a six year old has no chance of rehabilitation? This kid is screaming out for help. He needs a councilor not a jail cell. His parents obviously are not showing him how to deal with the death of a sibling. They are not showing him how to deal with the anger of life probably because they are so wrapped up in their own feelings. Get this kid a shrink and get some people to look into his home life.

4. Ret Ofc. Col. Sgt. Bill McHanes III, jr. says:

Tweezers can destroy an eye almost as easily as a knife.

Jail the kid now so that he gets accustomed to his eventual home.

5. Annette says:

The kid needs help. If he had access to a weapon which would do more damage, he most likely would have used it. The article says he has not returned to school. I hope he’s still in school someplace as well as getting counseling.

1. sewnsl says:

The victim hasn’t returned to school. It says nothing about whether or not “John” returned to school.

2. Donna says:

No, the article says the VICTIM has never returned to school.

3. frances says:

Please re-read the article….his victim never returned to school.

6. Mr Burt says:

Sue the school for failure to protect W.I.C code 100 in the child welfare pinal code. Also, sue the parent of the child for neglect and abuse for allowing the child to engage in bulllying behavior.

1. Jmehed says:

What exactly would Sueing fix??

7. triste says:

it doesnt matter.they should go to the polcie instad of doing all that..The alilttle kid probably did and he had a reason how about instead of just talking and talking they go to the polcie and find out the truth of why he did that and why all that happened but it doesnt matter it didnt happen at school it has nothing do with school it was outside of school.how schools dont have kids like that every school does.yeah i agree it wasnt right at all dont get me wrong but the little kids could of had a reason and stuff..

1. Jim Campbell says:

Expel the child from public school and have the parents enroll him in Military School.

This protects the other children, does not waste public resources and gives the child discipline that is lacking in his home.

This deals with all issues simultaneously and is NOT punishment but discipline.

1. Lori Stein says:

how do the parents pay for that military school. I know I couldnt afford it. Are you going to pay for that kid to go?

2. Another comment says:

You know how to spell, and yet you don’t know how to check your spelling, erase letters, or use punctuation. Interesting.

8. cyb says:

Sounds like the kid may have been traumatized by the death of his sibling and needs serious help. However, that doesn’t mean it’s okay to endanger and terrorize other kids in the meantime. Please someone get help for this kid and THEN he can return to the classroom when he’s learned to cope better.

1. Karen says:

I had a child who was dangerous chemical imbalance so they said in therapy the whole works and still has problems but much better now. The school system placed him with kids smaller then him and my son was a bully and 1 day picked up another kid and threw him luckily the kid was not killed. I kept him home I knew it was the wrong placement for him. The school threatened to put me in jail I said I will send him back but as soon as he hurts another child I will notify the other parents as well as the newspapers that you knowenly put a dangerous child back with there kids. I also filed a complaint with head admin. the one thats usually located in a major city somewhere. I had something to fall back on though. My son was in special ed and the law clearly stated if a school does not have an appropriate placement they either send him elsewhere to another school within the district or create a placement. In my son’s case they created a placement and low and behold they found other kids that needed to be in that class. I tried so much with him and now he is 28 and he is doing alot better. Also if a child has special needs you can make the school district assign someone with the child all day. It can be put in a child’s ISP Wanted to add one more thing my son new right from wrong.

9. Cindy says:

That is soooo a wake up call for the parents and teachers to take action right away, it’s SEEMS like he is already acting like a criminal at such a young age.
    He’s intention (action) show it all, the teachers and the parents need to act now NOT later when it’s to late.

10. triste says:

THEY NEED TO PUT THE KID IN CONSUELING AND FIND OUT WHY HE DID THAT BECAUSE LIKE ONE OF THE COMMENTS SAYS HE IS NOT EVEN A TEENAGER LIKE ME BUT THEY NEED TO FIND OUT WHATS GOING ON WITH THE KID WHY HE DID IT..CONSUELING WOULD PROBABLY HELP HIM AND FINDING OUT WHAT AND WHY IT REALLY HAPPEN.AND I STILL SAY IT DOESNT MATTER HE STILL HAS TO GO TO SCHOOL AND FINISH IT.SO YOU CANT JUST JUDGE WITH OUT KNOWING WHAT REALLY HAPPEN..

11. TC Gurule says:

This child obviously needs help. He should be removed to protect other students. But while he is out of school, get him the counseling and help he needs. It would not be surprising to find out that it is tied to loosing his older brother. The whole family should be in counseling as well.

12. kiki says:

If you read the above article it says that he comes from a family that recently lost a teenager in an accident – I’m sure the family is grieve stricken and maybe this child is acting out due to that. The death of a child can put the whole family in a tailspin and all will deal with it the only way they know how. I agree that the best thing for this child is to see a professional – now, not down the road. It may benefit the entire family to seek help.

13. Jamie says:

Very sad that this family is now dealing with this, after the loss of a child. I can’t imagine how stressful everything is already. Children can feel stress. They carry that with them outside the home. I hope the parents of the child in question seek some additional help in the form of counseling. No, I do not believe he should be “kicked” out of school. He needs a little extra attention, and maybe moving him to another class would help the issue. He’s only 6, let’s get him help before we decide he’s a lost cause.

14. SomeGuy says:

STRING HIM UP .. throw him out.. I dont care how young he is.. the other kids should be safe not worrying about some lil boy phyco path

1. Jmehed says:

String him up?? You would like to lead a lynch mob for a 6 YEAR OLD BOY? Really?? How about Therapy? Child services? An investigation into the parenting skills of his Mother and Father. If this kid comes from an abusive home then abusive behavior may be all he knows, But thats ok just “string him up” instead of taking the time and energy to fix whatever may be wrong with the child, right?

2. Me says:

A phyco path? I think the spelling is “psychopath”.

15. sarah says:

I dont think he should be removed from school but moved into a special needs environment that can assist in his emotional recovery while still in a learning environment.

16. A parent says:

I will pull my kid out if John is allowed to return to the classroom. Regardless of what kind of trouble the kid’s family is going through, no child should be exposed to that kind of constant threat in the school environment. It is a ticking timebomb. Obviously John needs treatment, but not at the expense of the safety of his classmates.You people can say all you want about he is just a baby and should be left alone kind of trash talk. Wait till your kid is in the same classroom with John and I will see what your reaction is. If you really think John is so innocent, why don’t you adopt John and let him stay in the same house with your kids? If you don’t want to do this, just shut the f*** up!

1. notlovinLA says:

“A parents”, you are one ignorant SOB. I feel more sorry for you than the boy who got his skin broken with tweezers. John IS a baby. YOU are an adult and I sincerely pray you seek professional help, “A parent.”

1. TLD says:

You are the ignorant one. John’s behavior is a threat to his classmates. How can kids concentrate on learning, knowing that this kid could attack them at any time? Keeping that dangerous kid in the classroom also affects the parents. I know that I couldn’t focus on my job if I knew that there was a strong possibility that my child could be stabbed in school (yes, STABBED. Don’t try to trivialize it by saying “his skin was broken with tweezers.” It’s like saying that someone who’s been shot had his skin broken by a bullet!) by an out-of-control classmate.

John definitely needs help, and I hope he gets it, but his classmates also need to have a safe environment in which to learn. He should be placed in a school that can accommodate his needs, or assigned a private tutor.

2. Mommarose says:

“notlovingLA” you are crazy, why should any child go to school and get stabbed? I would do the same thing as “A parent”, any parent who loves their child and want to protect them would.
        I am thinking you are one of those parent who don’t give a sh*# about your kid

17. Tracy Henderson Clayton says:

Our 6 yr old grand daughter was kicked, slapped, bit, stabbed and punched in less than 3 weeks of kindergarden and nothing was ever done. It got so bad we pulled her from school. They wouldnt do anything to the kid because his parents didnt ever respond to the school and he had a right to be educated. HE HAD THE RIGHT, but she didnt. She is now home schooled and has moved into the 2nd grade in one year. I know all parents cant homeschool, but let me tell you, it is well worth every minute to know your child is safe.

1. mountainmama says:

we had a similar experience…our little girl was getting bullied repeatedly, and the teacher’s response to me was, “Well, I’ll try to keep an eye on it, but that’s just how kids are…”. sorry, but not reassuring enough. we pulled her from that school, and have homeschooled all of our children, since~never looking back. all four are bright, well-rounded, and we are so happy and blessed in our decision!

1. frustrated teacher says:

Home schooling is definitely better than any public education your kids will ever receive. I teach elementary school, low-level learners, and spend valuable time overseeing kids who have poor behavior. Students bring their home life to school, so it’s easy to see why people pull their kids out to teach them at home. My sister home schooled her two kids ’til they were teenagers; then they wanted to go to regular school and they were so advanced they were bored. If you have the right support system to make it work, I say do it. I’m a professional educator with 20 years of experience, but sometimes I feel like an expensive babysitter.

18. Bin Laden says:

John’s emotional problems need to be handled in an expeditious manner by a medical professional, because if they are not, we will be reading about him in ten years.

1. frustrated teacher says:

You’re right. It’s easy to spot the kids who will either die young or be tried as an adult. He’s one of them, and if his family doesn’t receive and respond to intervention, that’s the path he’ll take.

19. Tim says:

Take the kid from his parents. The sibling struck by the train was part of a tagging crew. Clearly, the family is dysfunctional and is raising a bunch of hoodlums.

1. socal says:

Tim, You are exactly right. He probably needs adoptive parents to get the love & guidance that is so crucial for a child. He cannot be trusted around other children at this time.

20. carol says:

is just sad we have to be very carefull with this the kid needs help now before is to late maybe we should talk and find out where are the parents….!!!

21. C says:

Take the kid from his parents and put the parents in some sort of evaluation…this kid had to learn from somewhere…his parents are probably thugs as well.

22. LA LADY says:

Zero tollerance. If he brought a pair of twizzers to school and used them against another student he should be OUT! This child is obviously troubled and his parents have no control over him.

23. Jamaican josh says:

Raised like an animal, the kid will act like an animal. I’m sure the parents encourage the kid to fight instead of focusing on academics. Ghetto is becoming the new norm. So sad.

24. philip says:

nothing will happen to this child because in our schools, just like in “society” only the “good” get punished for their mistakes. He’ ll probably get “counseled” and sent back to the class for the teacher to deal. then all of you/us will blame the teacher.

25. Me says:

The child should be taken out of school, for the time being anyway, until he can get the therapy/help he obviously needs.

26. cjygudwin says:

Violent children become violent adults. Violence runs in families just like alcoholism and some types of mental illness. Read the hundreds of horror stories of people who have adopted babies fron the Depatment of Social Services where the biological father was a known violent criminal. Even when places with loving families these kids begin to become violent as teenagers and become criminals later.

27. Dana says:

This kid just lost a family member in a tragic accident. It is obvious he is lashing out with anger, frustration, and is in serious need of therapy in order to deal with his emotions. That is why this kid, “John”, is acting the way he is towards other kids. I know this for a fact because I have a son who did the same thing in kindergarten after a family tragedy. Once my son got therapy, he was fine.

28. EricLB says:

What needs to happen is string up the useless parents! Guess we can’t do that but should castrate the dad and sterilize the mother and deny them all government assistance.

For the boy, get him into a structurerd enviroment with foster parents that give a damn. Then pray.

29. A parent says:

NotiovinLA, I will do anything to protect my child. I might be ignorant in your eyes but who cares? My child is taking Karate to defend himself against bullies. Every person has a right to defend himself. Perhaps you are the one who is the ignorant SOB. If everybody behaves like you do, these “babies” will turn into future monsters/mass murderers. Guess who is responsible? Read the stories about all the lunies after they killed, they all had the common background. Their parents, friends, teachers ignored all the warning signs and said, “We didn’t know our “babies” would do that”! Mr. Wiseman, stop daydreaming and see the real world. How many innocent people you have to sacrifice before you will wake up? Seriously, I think you need help more than I do. At least I try to keep all the innocent folks from getting killed by lunatics.

30. thisworriesme says:

I am just shocked at some of the comments I am hearing on here. For goodness sakes, he is a 6 year old child. If it was your child, would you give up on him/her? My son was in trouble a lot as a child, I had Psychiatrists and Psychologist and in home services and therapists to work with us and him, and medication, after I was told there was nothing else they could do, I had him placed in a mental hospital, He was finally correctly diagnosed a few years later and is now able to function in society. Maybe some of you shouldn’t have kids, I agree I think they need to look at the parents of this child, see what’s going on. Maybe dad abuses mom, or mom abuses dad. Maybe there’s a drug problem and no supervision. There are a lot of what IF’s. I say get the boy some help and look at the parents. No one knows what goes on behind doors.my thoughts and prayers are with all involved.

31. Terri Herrera says:

THE THING ABOUT THIS WHOLE SITUATION ..IS THAT THE PRINCIPLE CALLED MY SISTER A SNITCH! THAT’S ITS NON OF HER BUSINESS WHAT GOES ON WITH THAT CHILD! ..IN REALTY EVERY PARENT THAT HAS A CHILD ATTENDING FREMONT SHOULD DEFIANTLY BE NOTIFY FOR THERE CHILDREN S SAFETY THIS BOY HAS CAUSE A LOT OF STRESS TO MANY OF THE KIDS IN HIS CLASS HE CANT EVEN GO OUT SIDE TO PLAY WITH THE OTHER CHILDREN HE HAS TO EAT LUNCH WITH THE TEACHER FOR THE FACT HE CANT KEEP HIS HANDS TO HIM SELF …THEY WANT TO MAKE IT SEEM LIKE THIS BOY IS OVER REACTING BECAUSE THE CHILD HAD A FAMILY TRAGEDY ..WHEN THE MOM IS UNDER THE INFLUENCE MOST OF HER TIME… THIS LIL BOY HAS BEEN ACTING UP SINCE BEFORE THE TRAGEDY HAPPENED.. SO THE PRINCIPLE OF FREMONT NEEDS TO GO NOW ! HES HIDING THINGS THAT LEAVE OUT A LOT OF THE STORY WE NEED SOMEBODY BETTER TO HANDLE THE SAFETY OF OUR CHILDREN A LOT BETTER ! I KNOW WHATS GOING ON AND I HATE THAT ITS AFFECTING MY NEPHEW TO NOT WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL WHEN HE LOVES IT SOO MUCH IF THEY DONT DO SOMETHING I BELIEVE WE SHOULD BOYCOTT THE SCHOOL UNTIL THEY REMOVE THAT CHILD TO A PROFESSIONAL IF NOT I WILL BE PICKETING SIGNS WITH A NO BULLY TOLERANCE AND MAKE IT VERY AWARE THAT THIS SHOULD BE TAKEN LIGHTLY! MY SISTER IS A STRONG WOMEN AND SHES NOT JUST STICKING UP FOR MY NEPHEW BUT FOR EVERY CHILD’S SAFETY !

32. Terri Herrera says:

THEY ALSO SAY THAT THEY DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER INCIDENTS! WHEN MY SISTER TOLD THEM EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN GOING ON SO PPL LIE !

33. Lesley says:

As a former middle school teacher, I believe that there are some children who need to be totally separate from the other students. These are schools we are talking about, not psychiatric institutions. I’m very concerned about the safety and quality of education that the “other” students receive, when a high needs student is allowed to threaten the safety of the others in the school.

34. sunrose says:

The child obviously needs counseling. He’s 6, just lost his big brother, and probably doesn’t have any coping skills. He was wrong to do what he did, but he needs help and he needs it now.

35. Concern Parent- says:

First off let me add that I am one of the parents that has been involed in eeruthing that has been going on for the LAST 3 MONTHS…. My child is in the same class as “John”!!! John has returned to school after a 2 day suspention which was suppose to be a 3, 2nd he has choked a kid 2 days ago on the playground lete add this was the same kid he pushed off the monkey bats and gave him a huge lump on his head… the sure clearly needs HELP were not her to hurt the kid, were here to let the principal & Montebello School District know our kids are scared and fear this kid….. He deserves the right to an education BUT he deserves one in a place where someone is able to shadow him. Another thing I would like to bring up is that he is not acting out cause of the tragity of his brother this has been an on going issue for 3 months!!!! I hope you all understand that were concern parents not paetents that ate trying to cause drama, our kids education mean ALOT to me & I’m sure I can speak on behalf of ALL the other parents when I say that & of things like this are going on he is taking away from them learning.

36. Perplexed says:

To those self-appointed medical experts and/or socialogists, let the real professional handle the boy. Let’s hope he will get the proper care and treatment. In the meantime, we have to face the reality. No body knows how effective the treatment will be. Why would we expose the other kids in his school to potential dangers? I can understand why the kid that “John” stabbed did not return to the same school. Why nobody mentions anything about helping the poor victim to heal? Does his life worth anything less than the attacker?

37. Nancy Mallett says:

It’s a tough decision. My son has had anger issues since he was born. He was suspended from special ed pre-k more than once. We have been getting him help since he was 2 and have had him on numerous medications. So far the only thing that has seemed to help is homeschooling. He’s back in public school now and doing much better. If the shoe was on the other foot and some kid did that to my son, I’d want that child to be severely punished! Expelling a 1st grader (a baby) is a little over the top though. Its obvious the child needs special help.

38. Jamaican josh says:

A lot of people that commented on this story need to take some spelling and grammar lessons! LOL! I’m just saying….

1. Terri Herrera says:

o god get over your self really? we got better things to talk about.

2. District Parent says:

I totally agree with you Jamaican Josh. How much do you want to bet these “concerned parents” file a lawsuit??? They smell an opportunity for getting paid!

39. Concern Parent- says:

I would expect all these comments concidering the fact that you tell tell a whole stoy in a 50 sec. interview…. But what I could tell you is take a walk in our shoes & I than come back & say all the things that ur saying now!!!! he needs HELP & the school is doing NOTHING about it!!!!

40. Joanna Symons says:

Concern Parent and Terri Herrera are giving us first hand, real situation facts.
    Aren’t we lucky to have them comment? Talk to them. Let them keep us updated.
    Hear what they’re saying, though, whether you like it or not.

41. A concerned mother says:

I am a parent at this school and for all u ignorant people who r attacking us for trying to protect our children need to shut the f up because all the incidents happened before any tragedy had taken place his sibling that died was killed tagging on train tracks and it just happend last week johnson abuse towards his classmates has been going on for a couple of months and for ur information the district and principal in this school like to cover things up they never report or call u when ur child gets hurt cause my children have gotten hurt many times and I never get a call my children r the ones who tell me one of my kids is sick has a terminal disease and got punched by another boy who is in the same class with john and they both usually r bulling kids togetherher chest wad bruised because she wad hit so hard she was nocked to the ground and I wasn’t even told and john tragedy just happend he has been abusive for a long time and it was not tweezers and just broken skin like u idiot people say out was a swiss army knife and all incidents have happend in school during recess or lunch and no one does anything this incident is just the tip of the iceberg when our children get hurt we go to the school staff and tell their response to us is they deserve it and when moms went to principal to ask what he was going to do about the situation he said none of ur business and when they told him they would go to district he told us I don’t care but know I know who the snitches r so before u start talking out of utter ass learn the facts and don’t judge us for trying to protect our children from bullies especially when they r signs all over the school for anti bulling it is time we stand up for our children against bullies and u small minded people need to realize that murders and rapist start their abuse at a young age or don’t u watch the news of kids killing kids when does it end when john finally kills someone

1. Fremont Parent says:

Concerned Parent you should have told the truth. I would like to know first where is the victim? second where is the army knife or tweezers? We have yet to hear from the victims parents. As for all the incidents that are alleged hummmm let me see no don’t recall. As far as the staff telling students when the go into the office that they deserve it I think you had better tell the truth. As far as your terminal ill student hummm let me see. The only “Terminalaly ill student is my Diabetic Son and I can tell you my son is well taken care of by the staff. I have been there many of times when the children come to the nurses’ office. I have not seen any “terminaly Ill” Student so please concernd parent like I said Please tell the truth. I hope ” JOHNS” parents get an attorney and sue you and your evil posse for slander. Concerned Parent please have your posse try a little harder to get those tears out no academy award this time maybe next!!!

1. concerned mother says:

u idot u need to learn facts before u open ur stupid mouth as far as diabetes its not terminal unless moms like u who dont care for their children dont take care os them and i told the truth and as far as my child u stupid mom ive lost one child to this disease i dont have to explain to u anything and i am not one of the moms who this child been beating up but ive had other issues with the staff and now they do call me after i complained so before u open ur stupid mouth find out the facts and i think i know who u r so ur kid doesnt even look sick so dont go opening ur trap if u dont know i dont go parading my childs diseaase for the whole school to know u witch and trust me that is not the word i really want to use idiot

42. Sad day for teachers says:

I taught kindergarten with an aggressive student in my class. When the aggressive student attempted to harm an innocent student I tried to stop it. I GOT in trouble because I touched the aggressive student. I was told to go get help and do not touch any student no matter what. What do partents think about this? In my opinion, Politicians have gone to far when the innocent children have no protection in or out of the classroom.

1. A concerned mother says:

I think that is wrong because something happens under ute watch parents will blame u its very sad

43. emg says:

Every child should have the right to attend school and feel safe. I can’t imagine how scared this child causes the other children to feel. Yes, this boy needs his education as well…..but it should be separate. This child needs a diagnotic evaluation to determine why this happend and the correct interventions to ensure it won’t happen again.

44. Frustrated Mother with Montebello says:

Our children were at a Montebello School last year. We had problems. We went to the board and we thought something was being done, but it wasn’t. The principal stated we are handling it. It wasn’t handled. The victims would miss school but not this child. Yes, they need to be counseld but WHY should the other children pay the price. Plus this child came from a loving family. One parent was ALWAYS home. I thought MAYBE the kids lost about 30 mintues a day which is HUGE, but they lost half a day EVERYDAY. The kids were exstatic when he was out sick. They actually had time to be rewarded by doing something fun as a class at the end of the day. We are in another school district!

45. Frustarted Mother with Montebello says:

I was also told by the school district that children are NOT responsible for their behavior till they reach 10! We need to go back to “old school”, where parents back up authorities. Parents today, a large percentage become defensive when they are told by others about their childrens behavior.

46. concerned mama says:

As a parent of a child attending the same school district and as an educator, I believe a big part of the problem is that the school or administration a lot of times wait a long time to actually seek help for a student. I personally have worked with several children that sound like “John” and unfortunately many schools wait until things have gotten too far. This child should have been receiving some type of services as well as his parents as soon as his behavior was noticed as unacceptable, especially after the suspensions. I understand that many parents want the boy out, however it is obvious that he and his family needs help. Therefore, perhaps there can be an alternative placement for him until he gets the help he needs and so that the other children are not fearful.

Also, just for the record a 6 year cannot be arrested in the state of california people. Why would you want this child to display more anger by experiencing such a thing?

47. Defend yourself says:

There are always irresponsible parents who raised troubled kids and caused problems in school and eventually in society. Since the law won’t take trouble kids away from their parents, we need to teach our kids how to defend themselves from bullies. My kid is taking karate. In this case we are not talking about pushing or shoving, it was a physical attack using a weapon. It could have easily turned deadly. The chief instructor at my kid’s karate studio has a 6-year-old son who was attacked by a same age bully in school trying to choke him. Big mistake, the karate kid has a blue belt and he did not hestitate to defend himself. The attacker ended up with a bloody nose and a black eye. The attacker never bothers him again. The fact is bullies always pick the weak targets. Most parents wouldn’t care or less how they rehabilitate John as long as he is not around to hurt another kid in school. Who could blame them?

48. Concern Parent- says:

You are all missing the point. I bet most of you have not set foot on campus. It’s cute to just drop off your kid and let the school deal with him/her until the bell rings. Try walking in all concerned parents shoes and I guarantee you’ll stumble in our footsteps. It seems to be an issue from parent to parent as opposed to focus on the kids. Unless you have been there first hand then you can’t say much. But that’s the great thing about the Internet, you can mouth off behind your keyboard and just sit back and stir up drama. Where’s Mr. McOwen when we need him.

49. steve says:

Please put down your pitchforks and torches. I have a very strong feeling that the terms choking and stabbing are gross overstatements. The kid just lost a sibling in a traffic accident, think that might be a reason to be acting out a little?. How about a little understanding and compassion for a six year old child?

50. Zach says:

Just another example of lousy, ignorant parents who had no business engaging in unprotected sex. Sometimes I wish I were King I would pass two laws for all of society. First; To qualify as a potential parent AN individual must be a High School graduate with an average of of 2.5 OR higher. Second; IF someone is a graduate of a 4 year accredited BRICKS & MORTAR university then one may marry at age 22, ALL other’s may marry at 26. If, someone decides NOT to marry they may have a child with another consenting adults with the same pre-conditioned qualifications may may children without a marriage certificate.
    A 6 yr old child does not go to school with a knife, OR a pair of SHARPE tweezers without parents being negligent. This child needs to be removed from the current school, to be counseled then to re-enter once professionals agree on the child’s state of mind.. He has to enroll in another school as well.
    I wrote the above paragraph in anger and realize that my drastic “LAWS” are never going to fly with people.. BUT, I am still of the opinion that there are a lot of people out there WHO HAVE NO BUSINESS making children. The World honestly needs to have everyone agree to a moratorium on making new children for a period of 5 years to allow Scientist, & city planners to develop the infrastructure required to support life going forward.. This also gives crop fields a break from OVER farming protecting the foods supply for the future.

51. Jo says:

If this happens in 1st grade, then i would look at his home life and the parents

52. Concern Parent- says:

Steve- once again another person that is ignorant to the situation and wants to be involved in this thread. No ones trying to send “John” to death row, but he needs individual help. Obviously you don’t understand these situations occured BEFORE the tragedy with his brother, so you need to do a little research before you start getting a phsyciatric. -FREMONT PARENT- To your earlier post, the way you speak you sound like you’re on the Fremont payroll. In this case there’s no amount of money to hide the truth.

53. Offthepink says:

Good god…I can’t believe I’m in a forum with actual parents. Nearly all of you type as if you’re semi-illiterate. I can only imagine how well your kids must be doing in school with such shining examples at home. Jamaican Josh is right. Anyway, this kid is obviously a problem. Get him into child services and a foster home. His parents obviously are the ghetto-type that just make them and boot them out into the world with no further thought of responsibility. The kids usually become career criminals.